-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=Brad]Personally, I'd never open a Remington bolt from a standard face to a magnum so that wouldn't be an option for me. Sako extractor mods suck.

You want a dedicated elk rifle... IME it's hard to beat a 270 or 30-06. If it can't be done with either of those two, the fault is not the cartridges. Nothing wrong with a 338-06 either if you just have to have something different. I built one some years back just because...[/quote

Melvin Forbes seems to think highly of Sako style extractors.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
Next weekend will mark the 30yr Anniversary of the first Elk I killed. That was with a 742 Carbine '06 and CoreRocts(rest assured,they ain't the Deadliest mushroom in the Woods). Have killed 'em with a passel of wares and never have seen one die "hard". Killed more with a 7-08 than anything,but have shot lotsa anythings,which more than run the gamut. 'Course I'm talking big bodied Roosevelt,not them TicTac sized Rocky's.

Simply too easy to assemble copious Mojo in a svelte/sweet handling platform,that guns exceptional Agg's and is easy on the shoulder. All of them things bear fruit and by the bushel.

Adding diameter is both moot and stupid,or stupid and moot for the dyslexic. As far as delivering the most Oooomph with the free-est of lunches,the 7mm is always your Huckleberry and I get it that it pisses off them who don't shoot. To the point of putting Imaginary Armor Plate on schit,then concocting a Paper Hat Ruse which in the end is a distant second fiddle yet,though they're oblivious to that too. Stupidity really is the gift that keeps on giving.

In the end,I've seen more botched shots on Elk(and all Critters) by Boomers...while them that can shoot a 243,boringly punch tags at every poke. I'll never understand why folks are in a hurry to make easy schit difficult,but the humor never wanes. In The Day,noone gunned more Boomers than I,simply because LRF's hadn't arrived the scene...so to sweeten a guess,velocity was one's friend and I was(am) easily the best range "guesser" I've ever seen. Prolly some correlation there to sections of haywire,wrapping Old Growth around a hill,flight paths and fathoms(in no particular order). Now you can KNOW distance and whistle chamberings that are far more static in their ES/SD(precluding vertical woe) and also launch boolits that were beyond the wildest Dreams of them who Dreamed for schit to get even better(I'm still Dreamin' for a .257 A-Max,.338 A-Max,.257 Scenar and .284 Scenar). Next thing you know,you've a lightweight hammer that'll do it all and easily,while keeping schit fun. Curiously enough,the fun schit gets shot in the off season and the next thing you know,shots you couldn't once fathom,are now well beyond being an absolute given. A guy do make his own "luck".

Few savvy the big picture,in that a guy can have his cake and eat it too. Cracks me up,that noone knows how easy killing is and what do what...and more importantly why. I always enjoyed batting Cleanup on Critters and still do. You start it and bet your ass,I'll [bleep] finish it and make it look easy...if only because it is.

Here Endeth The Sermon.

Darn good post.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ULA24
[quote=Brad]Personally, I'd never open a Remington bolt from a standard face to a magnum so that wouldn't be an option for me. Sako extractor mods suck.

You want a dedicated elk rifle... IME it's hard to beat a 270 or 30-06. If it can't be done with either of those two, the fault is not the cartridges. Nothing wrong with a 338-06 either if you just have to have something different. I built one some years back just because...[/quote

Melvin Forbes seems to think highly of Sako style extractors.

A Forbes action with the Sako extractor designed into the action is different than modifying an existing M700 action.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Handy, accurate, and fun-to-shoot rifles do build a lot of confidence. In the end of the day, the rifle and chambering are normally not the limiting factor of an elk hunt. Far more things will go wrong before the rifle/cartridge does.

You have the action and stock. If you're happy with both of them, I'd choose a good barrel in a chambering you're happy with and go shoot it. Just about every 30-06 based cartridge will do the job, so choose the one YOU are happy with.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
..... Have killed 'em with a passel of wares and never have seen one die "hard". Killed more with a 7-08 than anything

Simply too easy to assemble copious Mojo in a svelte/sweet handling platform,that guns exceptional Agg's and is easy on the shoulder. All of them things bear fruit and by the bushel.

.......the 7mm is always your Huckleberry and I get it that it pisses off them who don't shoot. To the point of putting Imaginary Armor Plate on schit,then concocting a Paper Hat Ruse which in the end is a distant second fiddle yet,though they're oblivious to that too.

In the end,I've seen more botched shots on Elk(and all Critters) by Boomers...while them that can shoot a 243,boringly punch tags at every poke. I'll never understand why folks are in a hurry to make easy schit difficult,but the humor never wanes. In The Day,noone gunned more Boomers than I,simply because LRF's hadn't arrived the scene...

Few savvy the big picture,in that a guy can have his cake and eat it too.

You start it and bet your ass,I'll [bleep] finish it and make it look easy...if only because it is.

Here Endeth The Sermon.

Mmmm........the more of Boxer's stuff I read,the more it reminds me of the practices and observations of JOC,John Jobson,Les Bowman,Warren Page, etc...... smile cool

The technology behind all this might be slightly different today(keeping in mind those old boys made use of what they had at the time);but the message is clearly similar........light,portable(for the times),shootable rifles,chambered for cartridges of moderate recoil(30/06 level or a bit less,aka 7x57, 270, 280, 7Rem Mag vs 7mmWSM and 7/08);,and relatively high BC's,and moderately high velocities;all the above in combination making for easy bullet placement and good killing effect.

Both relying on placement vs shear horsepower(difficult for some folks to absorb completely),and a recognition that bullet placement trumps everything else,no matter the game(how elephants got killed with 7x57's). wink

Scope power bumped a bit from 4X to 6X;and of course LRF's and turrets to take the place of PBR.....

The writing style and linguistics are clearly different,but overall, the message is very much the same. grin

This little analogy may cause Boxer some sleepless nights....I hope not. I consider it a good thing. wink

Bless his heart. grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/13/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Mmmm........the more of Boxer's stuff I read,the more it reminds me of the practices and observations of JOC,John Jobson,Les Bowman,Warren Page, etc...... smile cool

cartridges of moderate recoil(30/06 level or a bit less,aka 7x57, 270, 280, 7Rem Mag vs 7mmWSM and 7/08);,and relatively high BC's,and moderately high velocities;all the above in combination making for easy bullet placement and good killing effect.

I can guarantee Boxer is no fan of JOC, Jobson, Bowman nor Page...............

I can also guarantee he abides no 'o6, 7x57, or 270 in his stable either.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
MM: I know that....he uses the 7/08 and the 7WSM...it was the recoil and power level I was refering to....

And I know he ain't a fan.....that's why I find the similarities ....interesting. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He's a fan of one thing and one thing only... himself. That's patently obvious.

Laffin...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's also a big fan of head shots which make most "boolit" arguments moot.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I shoot more than a whole [bleep] bunch and am not into guessing...mainly because I've never had to. To that end,I simply gun an open mind and never was one to wonder,when I could simply procure and see for myself. Killing schit is easy,for folks who actually do it and procrastination only enters the equation via the clueless and their delusions. Extrapolation is the key to R&D and having keen insight to cause/affect. While I'd be the last gent to say all things is equal,I'd be the first to say one makes his own "luck" and making schit easy is a breeze,as a worst case scenario.

That approach is much to the chagrin of Hamburger Technicians like poor dumb broke dick Brad and her contrived bullschit notions,fraught with Imagination. She whines well and often,apparently due to IQ,experience,trigger time and wallet...in no particular order. Here's hoping she's the first gal to bitch herself happy,though I of course remain more than a touch dubious,if only given her track "record". Stupidity is simply the gift that keeps on giving and she's got it in spades. Bless her heart and Imagination.

Pass the good schit,hold the fluff.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interpretation:

"I'm of small stature."

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Interpretation:

"I'm of small stature."

In fairness,it'd be tough to slight your lady fingers and perfect "build" to "fill" a Burger King "uniform". Not all are plagued in such a way,as to allow them to stack a to-go bag with napkins,ketchup and another's respective order. Bless your heart!

Here's to your "tenacity" and penchant to "bask" in minimum wage paychecks,replete with "all" the goods "afforded". Hell...perhaps in 100 lifetimes you'll have shot half the rifles I have and finally quit guessing?!!? Until then,rest assured that I embrace your Imagination and all the "satisfactions" it grants you,hoping that you'll never quit Pretending about same.

Always a treat to get a glimmer of your "experience". Here I'll fast track you and the other dumbphucks with a few thousand words,all of which will stump you. Here's hoping it'll fuel your Imagination and bolster your penchant to Pretend.

Laffin'!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interpretation:

"I'm of small stature."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interpretation:

"I'm of small stature."

In fairness,it'd be tough to slight your lady fingers and perfect "build" to "fill" a Burger King "uniform". Not all are plagued in such a way,as to allow them to stack a to-go bag with napkins,ketchup and another's respective order. Bless your heart!

Here's to your "tenacity" and penchant to "bask" in minimum wage paychecks,replete with "all" the goods "afforded". Hell...perhaps in 100 lifetimes you'll have shot half the rifles I have and finally quit guessing?!!? Until then,rest assured that I embrace your Imagination and all the "satisfactions" it grants you,hoping that you'll never quit Pretending about same.

Always a treat to get a glimmer of your "experience". Here I'll fast track you and the other dumbphucks with a few thousand words,all of which will stump you. Here's hoping it'll fuel your Imagination and bolster your penchant to Pretend.

Laffin'!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
What are the two belted magnums? one has a 264 style neck and the other is the length of the 264. 7mm mag?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd buy a 338 Rock#3 and have it fluted and cut to 23in and build a 338-06. It will balance well in your stock. I would then choose either the 200gr BT @2850 or the 210gr Partition2775 and go hunting. Both will be pleasant to shoot in that rifle and deadly to 400yds. Hunting Nut shows the 200gr sighted 3in high @100yds is dead on at 250 and only 3.5 high at 150yds. At 350 it's down 10in or a backbone hold and is still delivering 2114 lbs of energy. The 210 @2775 is almost exactly the same. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 11/13/11.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 264wm
What are the two belted magnums? one has a 264 style neck and the other is the length of the 264. 7mm mag?

7RM and STW.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Next weekend will mark the 30yr Anniversary of the first Elk I killed. That was with a 742 Carbine '06 and CoreRocts(rest assured,they ain't the Deadliest mushroom in the Woods). Have killed 'em with a passel of wares and never have seen one die "hard". Killed more with a 7-08 than anything,but have shot lotsa anythings,which more than run the gamut. 'Course I'm talking big bodied Roosevelt,not them TicTac sized Rocky's.

Adding diameter is both moot and stupid,or stupid and moot for the dyslexic. As far as delivering the most Oooomph with the free-est of lunches,the 7mm is always your Huckleberry and I get it that it pisses off them who don't shoot. To the point of putting Imaginary Armor Plate on schit,then concocting a Paper Hat Ruse which in the end is a distant second fiddle yet,though they're oblivious to that too. Stupidity really is the gift that keeps on giving.

In the end,I've seen more botched shots on Elk(and all Critters) by Boomers...while them that can shoot a 243,boringly punch tags at every poke. I'll never understand why folks are in a hurry to make easy schit difficult,but the humor never wanes. In The Day,noone gunned more Boomers than I,simply because LRF's hadn't arrived the scene...so to sweeten a guess,velocity was one's friend and I was(am) easily the best range "guesser" I've ever seen. Prolly some correlation there to sections of haywire,wrapping Old Growth around a hill,flight paths and fathoms(in no particular order). Now you can KNOW distance and whistle chamberings that are far more static in their ES/SD(precluding vertical woe) and also launch boolits that were beyond the wildest Dreams of them who Dreamed for schit to get even better(I'm still Dreamin' for a .257 A-Max,.338 A-Max,.257 Scenar and .284 Scenar). Next thing you know,you've a lightweight hammer that'll do it all and easily,while keeping schit fun. Curiously enough,the fun schit gets shot in the off season and the next thing you know,shots you couldn't once fathom,are now well beyond being an absolute given. A guy do make his own "luck".

Few savvy the big picture,in that a guy can have his cake and eat it too. Cracks me up,that noone knows how easy killing is and what do what...and more importantly why. I always enjoyed batting Cleanup on Critters and still do. You start it and bet your ass,I'll [bleep] finish it and make it look easy...if only because it is.

Here Endeth The Sermon.

Post some pics please would love to see them!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
His dissapearing act was expected..........

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ackleyma'm,

You amazingly stupid dumbphuck...I do soooooooooo enjoy that playing dumb isn't an Act for you.

Bless your heart and the sanctity of your stupidity.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Ackleyma'm,

You amazingly stupid dumbphuck...I do soooooooooo enjoy that playing dumb isn't an Act for you.

Bless your heart and the sanctity of your stupidity.

I knew you were watching and would be back........I don't think I"ll try to remove the hook I'll just cut the line!

But since your still hanging around post pics of all your elk taken over the years ....that's right you don't have any! Still laffin!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,565
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.