-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The question was what would JOC choose? I believe that would be a new FN Model 70 in .270 Winchester which is a much better rifle than anything Winchester ever produced in the past. The new Remington 700s are still the most accurate production rifles in the world. That is unlikely to change.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 6mm
I think he'd like the new Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter & the sporter laminates. I think Jack would also like the Ruger Hawkeye as they are built like a rifle should be. I suspect he would probably go with the 270, 30-06, and 280 Remington. These are classics that haven't really been improved upon!! I think he might seriously consider the new 270 WSM or 300 WSM in addition to that though. For scopes it would be a 4x or 6x Leupold or possibly a 2.5-8x36 Leupold.

Now for bullets old Jack would shoot the beloved Partition which is still the standard, and the new Nosler Accubond or E-tip.

David

+1

but in 338WM

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I think I couldn't give a [bleep] less what Jack O would use. Didn't care then either.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Probably the latest wiz bang magnum wrapped in some sort if god-awful plastic.

Seems that's what it takes anymore to kill deer, elk, and the like.

Long gone are the days of animals without Kevlar

But back to the original posters question, I think Jack would be mighty pleased with a m700 cdl.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw a non kevlar whitetail dropped last week to a single round from a 30-06. Really! No kidding! Well I didn't actually see the shot, but there was only one shot heard and he only had one rifle so I am really pretty positive. I know it is hard to believe but it still happens from time to time. smile

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stray round
I'm afraid if he lived today he just might shoot a T/C Encore on a hunting show on TV.

I was thinking the same thing.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by medicman
I saw a non kevlar whitetail dropped last week to a single round from a 30-06. Really! No kidding! Well I didn't actually see the shot, but there was only one shot heard and he only had one rifle so I am really pretty positive. I know it is hard to believe but it still happens from time to time. smile

grin Ya, and it was a g..a..s..p! Tikka M65, and it wasn't wearing a Leupold scope, either. Musta just got lucky, I guess, except for the Barnes TSX part. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by medicman

No kidding? Wow

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Odessa
He'd shop around for a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .270 WIN.....

Exactly!!!! He for sure wouldn't even think of a POS (Kimber to you guys in Rio Lobo, or whereever).
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Odessa
He'd shop around for a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .270 WIN.....

Bingo!

Does anyone really think gunmakers have eclipsed his absolute favorite? Some of them are now having trouble just building rifles that customers won't want to return! Or pass along to some schmuck.

Yeah, and Winchester had a pretty busy service dept before 1964 (for good reason).
You mean, busier than all the others back then? Doubtful... Show me any rifle manufacturer without a service dept...

Also, if factory pre 64 M 70s were so great, why did guys like O'Connor feel the need to spend twice the cot of the rifle customizing them?
Maybe because he wanted a custom - like many other rifle owners of today?
A hint would be the stocks shaped like plain Canoe paddles.
The rifle was built to HUNT with, used as tool to obtain game, and they did so with aplomb.. Not meant (excluding custom shop stuff) to be all show and no go like some others..

KoolAid drinkers are funny.
I'm thinkin' you would know - first hand.. Personally, I hate the stuff..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't know, don't care. Whatever, it wouldn't affect my buying decisions one whit.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stray round
I'm afraid if he lived today he just might shoot a T/C Encore on a hunting show on TV.

Sad, but more than likely true.

Life is just one damned thing after another
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jim62

Also, if factory pre 64 M 70s were so great, why did guys like O'Connor feel the need to spend twice the cot of the rifle customizing them? A hint would be the stocks shaped like plain Canoe paddles.

KoolAid drinkers are funny.

Indeed they are! smile

It's always fun to second guess this stuff with the hindsight of 50 years post fact,and the advancements in technology....I don't recall anyone saying the stocks were works of art, but they were functional and durable for the time,even if not ideal for scopes....but it helps to know how we got where we are from where we were.

(BTW some of the Kool Aid drinkers included guys like Ralph Young, Wally Johnson,Pinnell and Talifson,Finn Aaggard,and others who depended on factory issue 375H&H M70's to keep brown bear,lions,and Cape Buffalo out of clients laps.They musta worked pretty good.All those guys died natural deaths.... grin )

But when the rifle was introduced,most people shot iron sights,good scopes not being exactly abundant....the stock,while not ideal,served the purpose pretty well.

But guys like O'Connor and others modified the rifles to make them lighter and more suitable for scope mounting.Guys like Bob Owens,Hoffman,Pachmyar,Shelhammer,Biesen,and a host of others catered to astute rifleman of the day who(like today)wanted a better stock of lighter weight,and better design,more suitable for scope mounting....much the same way guys today will take a Rem 700,Ruger,or present M70, and replace the stock for something "better". Mausers and Springfields and Remingtons got equal treatment....the M70 was not alone.

This all evolved into the introduction of the M70 FW in the early 50's,likely the first real mountain rifle from a factory;the precursor in design to much of what we have today,and a take-off on what JOC and others like him insisted upon.Things like the Ruger, Rem Mountain Rifle,Kimber 84L, etc., did not just "happen".....they are the evolutionary by product of the work of a lot of highly skilled stock and rifle makers who influenced factory design years ago;and the notions of guys like JOC who wanted something "better"than the factories produced.This goes on today....

Today,computer aided technicians press buttons from remote locations to get the metal and wood chips flying and make the rifles faster and more efficiently,and with tighter tolerances to boot (even though we know no one actually shot the damn thing,other than proof load,and tested function.......in contrast to the guys with dirty hands, greasy aprons, and files who actually assembled and shot the rifles before they left the factories.....for similar treatment today from the likes of Dakota, Darcy Echols,Gene Simillion, Jim Anderson,Chick Worthing,Jerry Fisher, and other talented makers,a guy will spend thousands....no doubt their work is a LOT better,but they are more expensive as well..

I hardly consider any of this as an indictment of the old rifles.

That even today,the old rifles will equal and sometimes outperform the newer stuff (to the consternation of many) in the field,is curious,and sometimes funny......

I don't see many threads on here entitled..."Problems With My Pre 64 M70". sick

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M98, VX3 2.5-8x36 & Talley QD steel mounts.

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In 30-06

Taking my rifle for a walk
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Touche Mr.BobinNH Touche!

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BobinNH--Good post!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I don't see many threads on here entitled..."Problems With My Pre 64 M70". sick

Of all the hunting camps you've been in, Bob, how many guys still hunt with those things. Honestly, I've never seen one in Canada, or Maine and Ive been in a ton of them

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
All of the purely NOSTALGIC pre 64 drivel is pretty funny considering the LAST custom rifle O'Connor commissioned before his death was a .280 RUGER m77.

So much for the superiority of the pre-64 Winchester- even in Mr O'Connor's eyes..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RD: Well, there's at least one in every camp I hunt in... grin

Seriously you raise a good point; times change of course and a lot of the users age, stop hunting,etc...plus many have fallen into the hands of collectors who treat them like a Ming vase..

I mean, they only made 500,000 of them.....not enough to go around.

In Wyoming last year,there were 2 that I recall,in addition to mine.I see them more out west than I do in the east, and Canada.I used to see a fair number of them up in Aroostook County, Maine, which surprised me.

But I do not see them as much as I used to.....the younger guys have moved onto other rifles, which is fine. Every generation should have their own rifles.....my son wants mine....I told him yeah, when I'm dead grin

Till then he gets to slum a Classic. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 12savage, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,683
Posts18,475,018
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.