I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by 458Win
Here is a link to SDH's fine custom gunmakeing web showing more of the rifle

http://www.finegunmaking.com/page32/page46/page46.html

You can also see more of Michael Petrov's fantastic collection

Many thanks for that link Phil. For some reason I had missed your rifle. I'm glad Michael was able to photograph it and also thanks to Steve for putting it on his website.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Ringworm

I'll make a stab at answering your question since no one else seems to want to help.

Originally Posted by ringworm
So when building a custom on a military reciever isnt it standard practice to replace many of the parts you are mentioning as faults anyways?

what i am talking about is custom. replacing the parts which wouldnt suit a fine rifle. The trigger is military so out with that and in with a timney trigger and timney safety. The angled rear receiver screw i dont think is something you can change. but have to work around, yes. So i guess what i would like to know is what parts of a springfield 1903, say a remington built A3, would you replace that you normally wouldnt replace if using a mauser or another action as a build?
the pic below is a A1 with a replaced speedlock/ safety that i have been trying to ID the make of.

I would definitely change the trigger and safety on any Springfield. The Timney trigger works well for my money and I wouldn't look any further. I prefer side swing safeties, either two or three position, but the Timney is also a good option. It is a copy of the old Buehler style and has been well proven in the field on many different actions.

I am unsure if the pictured rifle is what you plan to use but if you do plan on using a Remington 03A3 action I myself might be inclined to use a different bolt simply because some A3 bolt bodies were not finished to well. I would look for a smooth 1903 bolt that still has the handle kicked back a bit. The ones with straight handles are from the earlier 1903s and are a little less desirable. I would also replace the stamped triggerguard with an 03 milled one. The cost of a different bolt and triggerguard may make it attractive to find a 1903 that already has these parts on it.

Speedlocks were made by several different manufactures at one time or another and no doubt did improve the two-piece firing pin setup. The first Springfield custom I ever had made had a custom made one piece firing pin and the lock time was reduced. I really didn't see much difference in the actual function of other rifles I had built after that one so I didn't do any more like it. As far as the two-piece firing pin I have never found it to be a problem. But if it bothers a person you can always have a one piece one made. I might add that on 2 three position safeties I have on two different Springfields, both came with a two piece firing pins from the manufacture.

The rear angled guard screw is a total non-issue if the action is bedded properly. The Springfield has a healthy recoil lug unlike the Ruger which is smaller. I would have the triggerguard profiled and the floorplate converted to a hinged design. I have had a couple different smiths do this and they turned out nice. One thing I like about the Springfield bottom metal is that the rear of it is angled down slightly and it flows into the grip nicely. This is one reason I use them on Mauser 98s.

You can make a very nice rifle using the Springfield. Things many people complain about don't bother me in the least. I happen to like the boltstop and I don't know of another action whose ejector doesn't need a spring to operate it. The third lug doesn't bother me and the high bridge is easily adapted to scope mount bases if the smith knows what he is doing. I have rifles with both custom Kimber and Buehler bases on them. Standard one piece bases are available from different companies and some two piece ones are also.

I hope I have answered some of your questions. If you have more just pm me if you don't want to post them here.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Saw a couple of Sedgley sporters on GUNSINTERNATIONAL today.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 50 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,472,005
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.