-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Burris Signature rings fix a LOT of mounting issues, I love the things. I like Leupold scopes in general, but I just can't afford them, the prices have gotten out of hand for folks like me. I think they are going to do great with the Redfield line.

GB1

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Most of my scopes have been variable Leupolds, but of the old style, a sealed, removable cover w/ slotted adjustment under it; whose type encourage setting zero, and then leaving it alone; adjusting by holdover and Kentucky windage, rather than twiddling w/ the cross-hairs. So these scopes gave zero problems, having remained mostly sealed and unmolested.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm sorry but I can't use a muzzleloader as a benchmark to test a Leupold scope. Been around them enough to see too many variables. Your sample size is statistically a non sequitur. Having said that, anything CAN fail. But a bunch of empty Leupold boxes on the shelf in my gun room attest to their willingness to please.

On the other hand an acquaintance had a Swarowski go "turrets up" this past fall on the second range session. The caliber was a 300WSM.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/16/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I am pretty much convinced all brand of scopes die if you shoot them enough. I wish I could afford top tier to see if they are any better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am not sure they are made in China, maybe the optics. On the other hand some factories in China do a pretty good job on optical assemblies. It just depends on the QC, if its owned by Leupold, has Leupold employee's and is ISO9000 certified I would not be afraid to buy it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several Leupy scopes, all older models. My experience with them shows them not to follow the adjustments until after several shots are fired. Apparently they have to "settle in". After that happens they seem to be rock solid. To my mind they are not long range scopes where the shooter wants to crank in adjustments to compensate for changing distances.

Can't comment on late model Leupys since all my recent purchases have been other makes. Even low end Bushnell scopes intended for use on rimfire rifles track better than the Leupys on initial adjustments.

Jim

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

"$6000 elk hunt ruined by POS scope!!! Yeah Leupold will fix and all that crap but they wont pay me for a $6000 hunt.

Have second week mule deer tag, zeroed gun again and just leaving turret alone and using Kentucky windage and elevation, 300 short mag pretty flat out to 300 yards so should be ok,

BUT WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER LEUPOLD AGAIN, HELL i HAVE CHEAP BURRIS FULLFIELD II THAT HAVE NEVER LOST ZERO IN 10 YEARS!"

Classic: One $6000 hunt down the tube, have another scope that works perfectly, but let's use the POS anyway. whistle

Last edited by battue; 11/17/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
lots of people use their imagination to direct their righteous anger and indignation sort of like (I shot into the flock of deer with my .257 Roberts and they all ran off so the .257 Roberts is a POS). I don't really see how there can be that much difference in any of the variables in the $5-600 range other than the name on the tube, you pick one feature that you like to give up something that the other guy has like Conquest with the black reticle vs Leupold and much lighter weight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What happend to

"Use tried and true only" and the KISS - priciple?

I sure would be pissed of and look for something to blame in a situation like that as well - all told, it would only be me IMO.

Smarts to be oh-so-twisty-dialy set up for elk in the next county and then bodge ashot and 120 yards...

But - bitching any company is the wrong lesson learned.

Use tried and proven (true) gear. Use KISS (keep it simple, safe) approach for good measure...

Go forth and fill an arc.

My sympathy for this guy but not my understanding.

Same for any of the guys pimping or bashing companies - trying to setup written in stone reasonings of their respective superiority or failings.

Technical stuff fails. Deal with it.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would add to all of this that I wonder about the wire reticle in the Leupold at times.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nightmare............ cry

With a proper zero, 300 WSM,fixed 6X (or 4X for that matter)or a "good" variable known to reliably hold zero, either the 120 yard elk, or the 400 yard elk shoulda been "hoofs up" without touching a damned thing on the scope.Ask me how I know....even at 500 yards, that bull shoulda been dead if the rifleman knew his stuff.

Why anyone is spinning a turret for a 400 yard shot on an elk with a flat shooting rifle is completely beyond me.

I can understand spinning turrets for real LR shooting as its' the only way to go.

But for more or less normal game ranges,it just makes no sense to me.

This guy got screwed because he practiced at home and the scope was fine....gremlins crept in on the hunt.Wish I could say I felt sorry for the guy,but I don't....he got what he asked for.....twice.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I am not sure they are made in China, maybe the optics. On the other hand some factories in China do a pretty good job on optical assemblies. It just depends on the QC, if its owned by Leupold, has Leupold employee's and is ISO9000 certified I would not be afraid to buy it.

ISO9000 certification is the biggest hoax that American manufacturing has ever been saddled with.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH

With a proper zero, 300 WSM,fixed 6X (or 4X for that matter)or a "good" variable known to reliably hold zero, either the 120 yard elk, or the 400 yard elk shoulda been "hoofs up" without touching a damned thing on the scope.

I agree, and I think after he missed the first elk, he should have avoided spinning turrets after getting it sighted in again.

Then again, if he can afford a $6k hunt, plus time off work, and airfare, he should be able to afford a S&B etc.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

With a proper zero, 300 WSM,fixed 6X (or 4X for that matter)or a "good" variable known to reliably hold zero, either the 120 yard elk, or the 400 yard elk shoulda been "hoofs up" without touching a damned thing on the scope.Ask me how I know....even at 500 yards, that bull shoulda been dead if the rifleman knew his stuff.

Why anyone is spinning a turret for a 400 yard shot on an elk with a flat shooting rifle is completely beyond me.

I can understand spinning turrets for real LR shooting as its' the only way to go.

But for more or less normal game ranges,it just makes no sense to me.

This guy got screwed because he practiced at home and the scope was fine....gremlins crept in on the hunt.Wish I could say I felt sorry for the guy,but I don't....he got what he asked for.....twice.

We think alike regarding turrets. Never touch mine once zero'd and it's never cost me a critter.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
dogcatcher....ditto that!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by jimmyp

ISO9000 certification is the biggest hoax that American manufacturing has ever been saddled with.

dave

Agree fully on the ISO 9000 crap but also know that China can deliver the goods if properly spec'd and one ensures QA. Done it on my projects and saved big money too.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BS. If the guy really (as he said) zero'd a new scope, then went on a $6,000 elk hunt, w/ NO practice and NO backup rifle or sights, and THEN starts twiddling the scope adjustment for EZ-range shots, he shouldn't be allowed to hunt. And I would never believe that he was competent to advise ANYONE else.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

With a proper zero, 300 WSM,fixed 6X (or 4X for that matter)or a "good" variable known to reliably hold zero, either the 120 yard elk, or the 400 yard elk shoulda been "hoofs up" without touching a damned thing on the scope.

I agree, and I think after he missed the first elk, he should have avoided spinning turrets after getting it sighted in again.

Then again, if he can afford a $6k hunt, plus time off work, and airfare, he should be able to afford a S&B etc.

Gremlins have been known to screw up those, too.

Think so, if you want. Wong lesson IMO.

"Due diligence" and "Kiss" for me.

Has worked so far...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sometimes the gremlins are operator induced. I had problems with tracking and difficulty turning the power ring on a Leupy 2x7. I called the company and was told to send it in. After removing it from the rifle, the power ring moved much more easily.

Instead of sending it in for repairs, I mounted it in some Signature Rings with the inserts. Now it tracks just like it's supposed to.

Maybe the OP's problem is truly scope related but it doesn't hurt to check for other possibilities.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (260Remguy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 41rem, 450yukon, 10gaugemag, 39 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,031
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.