S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
you should admit its easier to track deer in the foliage free minnesota woods compared to our friends in georgia thick lush green forest.
It may be easier, but 300 feet is 300 feet and I'm going to recover that deer regardless of the terrain. That's not being an armchair QB, that's a simple fact.

Ya..ya... Everyone is a legend in their backyard, their mind, and on the internet. "Simple facts" get clouded away from the keyboard and in the real world.

EXACTLY, that is what is great about the internet, one day you can bust somebodys balls for losing a deer when you can track a deer through anything, then the next day admit you could not track your own deer. Since he was not found who knows, maybe he only went 250'? I had a real hard time tracking my sons bull this year with no blood, with no blood and the right ground conditions it can be almost impossible to track an animal, I don't care how good you THINK you are.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you don't find a blood trail, and you hit the animal...keep looking 'til you find the animal. Strip and grid search, concentric circles, whatever it takes. It ain't gonna be pleasant or easy, but you owe it to the animal to recover it. I know it's easer to type this than to do it, but it's what should be done. Sometimes you still may not find 'em, but I think a lot of folks give up too soon. I have no idea how long or hard the gentleman who's catching flak spent looking, so I'm not going to pass any judgement. My opinion is it ain't the caliber that lost the deer in this case, though, as it was dead within 100 yards.

Last edited by ShootDogs; 11/17/11.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Harder doesn't mean impossible.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ShootDogs
If you don't find a blood trail, and you hit the animal...keep looking 'til you find the animal. Strip and grid search, concentric circles, whatever it takes. It ain't gonna be pleasant or easy, but you owe it to the animal to recover it. I know it's easer to type this than to do it, but it's what should be done. Sometimes you still may not find 'em, but I think a lot of folks give up too soon. I have no idea how long or hard the gentleman who's catching flak spent looking, so I'm not going to pass any judgement. My opinion is it ain't the caliber that lost the deer in this case, though, as it was dead within 100 yards.

Agree, but would add check even if unsure of a hit. On the bull I mentioned above he had no reaction to being hit and we did not find any blood for a long ways.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ya..ya... Everyone is a legend in their backyard, their mind, and on the internet. "Simple facts" get clouded away from the keyboard and in the real world.
Not everyone, most especially some of our forums members in GA. Finding a deer within 300 feet is far from legendary--though you're closer to the call than you'd expect. It's something I have/will again entrust to a couple of seven year old boys; accepting nothing less than success on their part. To suggest this is difficult or legendary is priceless. Keep 'em coming.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLM
EXACTLY, that is what is great about the internet, one day you can bust somebodys balls for losing a deer when you can track a deer through anything, then the next day admit you could not track your own deer. Since he was not found who knows, maybe he only went 250'? I had a real hard time tracking my sons bull this year with no blood, with no blood and the right ground conditions it can be almost impossible to track an animal, I don't care how good you THINK you are.
MarkinGA said he lost two deer shot with a .243 with one traveling 45-50 yards the other 100. He found them later with the help of vultures and such. He stated this as a fact. My rub with him is that not finding these deer reflect on his woodsmanship to such a degree as to entirely discount his opinion on any and all points contributing to hunting. Some guys can't hunt, some can't shoot, some can't read and others cannot do any of these things. Finding a deer in 300 feet is not an Olympic event. How many boobs are going to defend this kind of incompetence? How many are going to listen to his expertise? I will say that those agree that in some places you can't recover a deer that succumbs to death within 300 feet are proving their own prowess...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
What's with all this "tracking" talk? You guys using bullets or arrows?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've read that the .243 'burns barrels' faster than many other cartridges. Not sure why, or the extent to which that is true, however, I did find it a bit off putting.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
And where in my post did I defend him/it? You are correct, some can not read.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by E Blair
I love my Savage 99, but I am thinking about a .243 as a back up hunting gun and starting rifle for the kids when they are ready. I like Remingtons and have been thinking of a Model 7. But I hear there are some quality control issues in Ilion. Also have thought of the Savage Classic or Lightweight Hunter. Maybe Weatherby too, but I like my guns made in the US, or at least Europe. Now I had another idea, namely the Kimber 84M. Maybe the Kimber Classic, a little pricier than the others, but this would be heirloom quality. Any thoughts on these guns. How do you like the Kimber Classic. I haven't had a chance to get my paws on one yet for a look see.

Original topic seems to have gotten lost. Here is what he was asking.

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLM
And where in my post did I defend him/it? You are correct, some can not read.
What does your statement "one day you can bust somebodys balls for losing a deer when you can track a deer through anything" mean? Losing a deer in 300 feet only comes from an idiot, an incompetent idiot at that. No ball busting, just reiterating the obvious to any and all in the know. There are too few "in the know"...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In that case, again I say Kimber Classic or Win Featherweight.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Open your mind up to different settings and stop accusing people of being a poor hunter because it doesn't fall into your experience set.
Respectfully,
Humdinger

I didn't say he was a poor hunter. but if you can't find a deer after 50 yards then another after 100.... He dug his own hole.

Last edited by tzone; 11/17/11.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you think about it, how fast can a human run 100 yds? 10-11 seconds? I'd say a deer will cover that in 1/2 the time.

Running 'dead' for 4-5 seconds is about it....assuming they are properly ventilated smile

Now if your good enough and have the shot, and not long range, a neck/shoulder juncture shot is a great one, any caliber, and drilling both shoulders w/a copper bullet i.e. Barnes, will not leave one worrying about eating lead. Just a thought.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I know George of GA Precision shoots the 243 in his match tactical guns.

His opinion matters to me.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Oh,

and anyone wanting to sell your 243 Montana because the 243 sux and the Montanas are all "junk" PM me with your needs. I think I can help.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by tzone
Open your mind up to different settings and stop accusing people of being a poor hunter because it doesn't fall into your experience set.
Respectfully,
Humdinger

I didn't say he was a poor hunter. but if you can't find a deer after 50 yards then another after 100.... He dug his own hole.

Actually for the sake of accuracy, my post said one made it 75-80 yards and the other around 100. When the shots were fired they were around 50 yds away.

Mark in GA

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the clarification. I misquoted you in one of my posts on the actual distances.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
10-4.

Camp is where you make it.
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by E Blair
Well, I have to say that I did not think I would start a firestorm just asking about the .243 Winchester. I like the idea of the Winchester Mod 70 Featherweight.

Here's mine waiting for action on opening day this year.
[Linked Image]

Just so you can see how nice and open it is, in this neck of the woods, here is a shot from a few minutes after the above is posted. The land is the ONLY thing that is not thick.
[Linked Image]
Wow, those pics are fantastic, especially the moose! I have a dream of a retirement hunting cabin. Maybe I'll think about MN or Maine. Is Maine warmer?;-)

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,656
Posts18,533,887
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.