Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by stray round
I'm afraid if he lived today he just might shoot a T/C Encore on a hunting show on TV.

If the Encore was my only option, I'd probably look seriously at archery. cry

NRA Benefactor member
HR IC

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jim62

Unless the previous owner who installed that pad had the LOP requirements of an Orangutan,

Hey, I resemble that remark! laffin'

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pal
Jack would have approved of what I picked up, today, the last of my 10-day wait. One of the last pre-64's, a .30-06 Featherweight in really nice condition:

[Linked Image]

It looks like the recoil pad of the 300Win Mags.. I bet it says Winchester on the back of the pad. If so, that might be a factory ordered pad from the original owner. That WAS a custom offering back then. Is the lop normal - 13 3/4" or very close? It'll always be open to conjecture unless a copy of the order is found. Either way a great find.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/19/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The pad is a Pachmayr White Line which appears to have been professionally installed and is still in good condition. LOP is normal ~13-5/8". This rifle was a good buy because of its rather high condition. Never even attempted to haggle w/ the dealer (which I have otherwise ALWAYS done). grin At any rate, I would have wanted a recoil pad on any Featherweight w/ the power of a .30-06. Jack would have approved (for me).

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a sneaking suspicion dead people don't give a schit what you shoot.

Laffin.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
Jack would have approved of what I picked up, today, the last of my 10-day wait. One of the last pre-64's, a .30-06 Featherweight in really nice condition:

[Linked Image]

Nice rig, I'd wrap a Hunters Edge around it, add Talley's and a 6x36 w/dotz and get to filling up arks.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hey folks, I read over it the first two times. "Pal" had to wait 10 days in California before getting approval to take physical possession. Not TEN minutes for a 4473 approval - TEN freaking days. All the while the "occupiers" in California ran rampant thru the streets causing damage, blocking traffic and costing thousands of hours of public sector overtime. The Mayor of Oakland specifically ought to be tried criminally and sued civilly for her acquiescence to the anarchists. This is the bullcrap we have to guard against. Ok, rant button off.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Im sure JOC would browse GUNBROKER for hours on end.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bigwhoop: Indeed that 10 day waiting period in kalifornication land scares me - its amazing what voting liberal can do for the freedom of the people!
Lesson: be careful, VERY CAREFUL, who you vote for!
The morally repugnant and bankrupt entity know as california is what I fear is going to happen to the United States if peoeple keep voting the liberal line (you didn't work for it and you don't deserve it but "we" are gonna take it from your neighbor and give it to you anyway, SUCKA!).
Again be careful who you vote for.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, Jack would not have liked what our lawmakers have foisted on some of us.

OT--I'm pretty happy w/ the piece of wood it's in, actually. 1st is getting the scope mounts right, so I can easily convert to iron sights.

Last edited by pal; 11/19/11.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Interesting and entertaining thread.

Well, it's all conjecture isn't it? Who knows for sure what would catch Jack's eye today. Although very opinionated and not hesitant to share his opinions with his readers, I believe he strived hard to be open-minded and realized that any product could always be improved upon.

When the initial descriptions of the Kimber 84M first appeared in the gun rags, two things came to mind for me. First, this may be the rifle design that I've always been looking for. And secondly, I bet old Jack would like this one. (I picked up a upgraded 84M in .260 and have never looked back).
Here again its all guesswork on my part. Could be all wrong. For sure Jack would have been bitingly critcal of Kimber's at times sloppy execution of an otherwise sound and innovative design. (My own 84M wont feed after stuffing four or more rounds in the mag. Still haven't sent it back to the factory to get it fixed).

One thing I do know for a fact. I would give a lot of hard earned pesos to be able to walk down to my old neighborhood drugstore, pick up the latest issue of Outdoor Life and peruse a Jack O'Connor review of a newly released Kimber 84. It would be an interesting read no matter which direction Jack went with the review.

Regards to all campfirers.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (Amos63, Anaconda, akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 770 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,920
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.