Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
duckster,
Could you post a video of you shooting this rifle at the range as you cycle though a mag box full of ammo. A video showing your rifle failing to eject, jamming up the action and failing to feed, especially if it occurs half the time, would be quite compelling. Once you have it on display here with all the added comments on how the rifle repeatedly fails, send a link to this thread in an email to Cooper. I'd imagine such email would motivate Cooper to make a quick correction.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
HR IC

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I would but the rifles are actually at Cooper right now. Good thought on the video, I should have thought of that!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope they get it fixed at N/C to you.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
That is my goal as well. I hope that they will make this right, if so, then customer loyalty goes way up, if not, well....

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
duckster, What did you find out about your rifles? You said that you were suppose to talk to them this morning.

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
So, an update:

I spoke yesterday with the head gunsmith at Cooper and explained the issue, especially the fact that this had been occurring since the first rifle was new. He agreed that this was a issue, but did say that they had not had every rifle come back for the issue. Not sure if some don't do it or what the situation is in that regard. Anyway, he said that the new bolt with the plunger ejection will solve the issue. He agreed that it because the current ejection system raises the brass too high, striking the underside of the scope. So, after some discussion, he agreed that Cooper holds some responsibility to make this right and agreed to replace the bolts on both rifles for labor cost - $75.00 per gun. Much better than the original $200.00 per gun that I was quoted.

I am happy to have this resolved. I would have been ecstatic if they would have said "our issue, we make it right at no cost to you!" but I am happy. So, that is where we are today, both rifles will be getting a new bolt with plunger ejection (like what is on the current M52) and I should have them back in a couple of weeks.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Glad they have satisfied you duckster, to some extent. They should have repaired them for free! Last email corrispondence I had with them, the price was $125 to fix mine. Seems like they are trying to get what they can from each individual! Pretty shady if you ask me. I prob have $100 dollars in shipping for the three times I sent mine back, without the first offer from them to cover my shipping exspences.

Probably the reason that others have not noticed, or care, is they could be possibly using a higher ring/base combo, and not having the issues? My spent brass cleared fine, after the second return from Cooper and slightly higher rings, I did not notice the brass ticks till they started adding up and really becoming noticeable, as you could not actually see it hitting it was happening so fast. Some might not care about the tick marks but it was unacceptable to me. I also had a Interarms Mauser that did the same thing, but out of the hundred or so rifles I have owned or shot, these were the only two that did. The gunsmith at Cooper told me that a lot of rifles did, maybe thiers, he didnt specify! Who would buy, or think it was acceptable, for a $1600+ rifle to do that??

Will let yall know how my situation turns out! They have had my rifle for over a month now and I have not heard a thing.

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hate to say it duckster, but you're being screwed.. Ask the smith just what YOU did to cause the problem....and is the redesigned bolt now standard or an option?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't disagree with you guys, but at this point, my rifles are out there and the shipping is covered, so I am going to get things taken care of now. I have not had to pay any shipping for either this time or the last time that I sent the .280 out there, as both times I went to Scheel's where I purchased the rifles and they took care of it. The smith mentioned that the design of the blade extractor was not the right size/shape to get the ejection arc correct.

GeoW - then plunger ejection is now a standard thing, so I am betting that there is more incidences of this than they are saying, otherwise why redesign something that is only about 5 years old?

I guess at this point I am cutting my losses. I may be going back to Sako or to Hill Country Rifles for my next gun. On the other hand, I look at all the accuracy complaints regarding Kimber that come up in these forums and I will say that the Coopers certainly do shoot!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My(15YO) son & I just checked 4 of my rifles........ X-bolts(325WSM) hits VX3 turret. NULA(30-06) the same. Kimber Montana270Win 84L) hits but only every now & then. T3 not even close. Our old Nosler 48 used to hit & leave empties backwards on top of the mag, jammimg the rifle....... The former 4 rifles mentioned above did not hinder the rifles in anyway other than hitting the VX3's turret caps. 3 have Talley UL LOWS on them, the T3 a LOW gamereaper & the Nosler EXTRA LOW Talley UL's. I did also have trouble with a Remington XCR in 375, but again, that was with extra low mounts......

Good day.

Taking my rifle for a walk
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 7mm-08 Cooper M54 with low Talley LWs and a L'pold 3.5-10 VX III and have no ejection problems. Mine does have the newer plunger style ejector; that may be the reason. Yes, it shoots great.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My disgust was not directed at you, even though it did sound that way, but at Cooper. I was on the fence, thinking about a Cooper in 7-08. That's not happening now. I will not accept that kind of CS from anyone by choice.
Best thing to come from your last post is there are actually good companies, like Hill Country Rifles, to fix Coopers screw ups.

smile

Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I tried my Kimber .308 with Talley Integral low mounts and 2.5x8 Leupold, no contact. My Savage 25-06 and .250 with Talley lows and leupold scopes, no contact. My two coustom remington action rifles with Talley lows and leupold scopes, no contact. My seven Savage praire dog rifles with Medium Burris rings and Weaver style bases, and various scopes with target knobs, no contact. My CZ 22LR with low Weaver 4x4 mounts and leupold scope, no contact. My Savage 22-250 Sporter with Talley low and Nikon scope, no contact. My two custom LR Remington rigs, Medium Rings and Warne bases and Leupold Scopes with target knobs, no contact. No contact on any of these rifles, nor is the brass leaving any kind of tick marks on the reciever, so I think it is safe to say that my Cooper, which cost more than most of my other rifles, should not be having any kind of ejection issues! Oh I forgot my Weatherby UL in .308 with 3.5-10x40 leupold and Talley lows, no contact, not to mention the numerous other rifles I have owned in the past, from various manufacturers, that had no ejection issues. I could live with the fact that they had a design flaw, but I bought this rifle with the understanding, that Cooper's customer service was second to none. That was the rumor that was started around my shooting circle. Now I am finding that my understanding was wrong, and I am pretty dissapointed in the direction that Cooper is going in regards to their customer service. But what do I know, they sure are selling alot of rifles it seems, they just want be selling any more to me! I hate the fact that they are getting more money out of some of us with the ejection issue, because of their flawed design! I love the ergo's and the accuracy, but for 1600+ and bad customer service, I think i will look elsewhere from now on!

Heavybarrel

G. Washington
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
HB - have you spoken to Mike Hudgins directly? I have his number if you would like me to PM?

I know a couple of guys that have bought Coopers, both M52 and M54 and have not had any problems, but this is with the new plunger ejectors.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
duckster, thanks but he is whom I have been corrisponding with via e-mail. Let me know when you get your rifles back and how they eject.

Good Luck

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Will do, HB

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Sorry to hear about the problems with the Coopers.

I am picking up a new Excaliber Model 54 tomorrow. How can I tell if I have the new or old design?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If it is a new rifle it will be the plunger style. They are nice rifles, just pretty disgusted with their customer service! Good luck with your new rifle.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The test target is dated 4-10-11. That's what concerns me. How do you tell the difference in the two styles?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Well, both rifles are back from Cooper. They replaced the bolts with the new plunger style ejectors and also reblued the rifles so everything matched up. After some discussion with the folks at Cooper, they did the repair for what they said was their cost - $75 per rifle. Not free but better than the original quote of $200 per rifle.

So, Cooper did make it right, but it did cost me a bit of time and some money out of pocket.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,020 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,268
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.