-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been rippin' on CVAs for over 15yrs now. Up until last year, never even heard of Wakeman. Still don't know much about him, but that doesn't matter. CVA is still pure crap no matter how you slice it....

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I guess that settles it. The King has spoken.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Does CVA or Bergara pressure test any of there barrels?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
they test a limited number of them from each batch they make

No muzzleloader company tests every single barrel. Only savage ML but thats a low production # deal. Plus they shoot smokless powder.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
thanks!

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
And IMO, Wakeman has about as much credibility as a late-night infomercial salesman; whatever product he's hawking at the time is the best.
AMEN

i have hunted and killed several upon several deer with cva's

they all have shot fine some more particular than others my my cva optima pro was deadly 300 gn sst 105 loose 777 and also with a 350 hndy fpb and 100 loose 777

best ml for the money

i do shoot a smokeless savage cause i like the convenience of smokeless

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
And IMO, Wakeman has about as much credibility as a late-night infomercial salesman; whatever product he's hawking at the time is the best.
+1, CVA is making the best ML on the market right now IMO. Mike Belm (Custom ML 'builder/smith)who is considered one of the best in the industry even agrees. Can't go wrong buying a Optima or Apex.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=572

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i would not hesitate buying any cva product. i've owned 5-6 of there ml's that were very accurate. wakeman is a payed salesman.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I've been rippin' on CVAs for over 15yrs now.

There you go. Impressive bona fides, I must say! I guess we should all bow down to your greater rippinatude!

Seriously, 2muchgun: if you don't like CVA, more power to you. But if you want to gain any credibility for your assertions regarding CVA, you're gonna have to come up with more evidence than an internet list of lawsuits brought against the company. Any idiot can search a list of "cases" against any manufacturer and compile a list like that. It costs next to nothing to file a lawsuit in America. It costs real money to prosecute one though, and that's why so many are filed and then dropped.

As I said, if you want to get some cred here for your position, you might start with an internet list of lawsuits that CVA has settled or lost. It shouldn't be hard, if there are any.

I recall the highly publicized situation that showed up here on the Campfire and on other internet hunting forums a couple years ago about that guide/outfitter in AZ/Mexico who ripped off a bunch of clients. There was some bleating from his defenders for a time, but within a year there were 4 judgments against the guide granted by an Arizona court. WITHIN A YEAR.

Now, if as you say you've been "rippin' on CVA" for FIFTEEN YEARS, surely you can come up with at least 4 successful judgments against the company, with links to the judgments as published by the courts. Is that too much to ask?

Now that we've got that one-trick pony back in its track, I'd like to respond to the OP.

I've had a CVA Optima Pro rifle for 4 or 5 years and my about-to-be-son-in-law has one as well. Between us we've fired easily 1000+ rounds, which for a muzzleloader, is a LOT of shooting. My Optima "died" when it fell out of a tower stand (the rope I was lowering it with broke) and broke the stock. I ordered and put on a new stock, and it continued to shoot very well. It's a very accurate rifle with my preferred load, a 295 gr Powerbelt bullet loaded over 2 pellets of Jim Shockey's Gold powder. Using that load I put 5 consecutive rounds into a 0.73" group off the bench at 100 yards in my first year using the rifle. Last fall I put 3 rounds into a similar size group just to be sure it still worked. Between shooting those two groups I put 5 whitetail does and one spike buck on the ground at ranges from 40 yards to 225 yards, with one miss that was entirely my fault due to underestimating range. My ATBSIL has put two whitetails down with two shots this fall.

It is easily the best muzzleloader I've ever hunted with. I have to admit I've only hunted with 3 other muzzleloaders, and this was my first in-line. But I've worked with a couple of my friend's Knight rifles, and the CVA is easily its match in terms of accuracy and ergonomics, at less than half the price.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've shot CVAs for years. Used to have a .54 cal CVA big bore mtn. rifle. Killed deer hogs and antelope with it. Currently My son and I have a pair of Wolfs. We have both shot deer with them and they are very accurate. I also bought a CVA scout 44 mag, to use for deer, here in Indiana. It shoots a helluva lot better than the Marlin 1894 44 mag, I had.

maddog

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I just pick up a stainless over black thumb hole stock optima except for the barrel getting a few hundred stokes with JB bore paste I do not have any thing bad to say about the gun.
My sons has the Acurra V1 and it shoots outstanding.I did 2 range trips with the new cva optima.I had problems setting off the BH209 but did but the new Breech plug and no hang fires with it tested the other day at the range.I will say it no t/c of Knight rifle but it shoots and that all that counts.
headspace the firing pin bushing :clean action NO BLOW-BACK
I loaded 95 Gr.BH209
Hornady 45 cal. 240 XTP and got outstanding results
[Linked Image]
By lonewolfrock at 2011-12-03
50 yards at the bench

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I've not owned a new generation Optima with the Bergara barrel and much improved design, but I do own a V1 Accura that I've had for a few years. First group after initial cleaning wasn't bad.

[Linked Image]

and the groups that have followed have been extremely good as well. Best trigger I've ever encountered on an inline. It's as accurate and reliable today as it was that first session.

And it explodes every time I load it and the trigger is pulled.

I liked it so well I decided to risk buying an Apex and just recently acquired my second Apex.

[Linked Image]

I'll say that anyone that thinks CVA is still making "pure crap" is completely full of hot air and certainly not capable of offering anything of worth in a muzzleloader forum.

WHUT?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got one of the first Optimas that were made. Goes bang everytime and holds a 3" group at 100 yards. Yeah i've heard they can do better but it works.

Hunt smart, hunt safe
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I had the first optima with the 29" barrel gun shot outstanding but the weight was real heavy to deer hunt:The New optima at 6 1/2 lbs is a dream to carry all day

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I just purchased a new Optima with the camo non-TH stock. It shoots great, but the sling studs molded into the stock are too wide for my Uncle Mike's swivels. Are there swivels available with a longer pin or wider throat? Or should a just grind away at the existing studs?

Dennis53

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
CVA sells swivels that will fit https://www.bpishopping.com/cva/sling-seats/hush-stalker-ii-sling-swivels.html

I don't much care for them though.

WHUT?
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for the link- I went ahead and ordered a set. I wasn't sure if my rifle was a fluke, or if they all came through that way. I read a review of those swivels on another site, and a guy said they fit his conventional studs very loose.

Dennis53

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I forced a normal sling on mine. It doesn't swivel, but it holds.

I may look into the sling mounts linked above.. they look like they are wider.

Last edited by Skivvy; 12/09/11.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (257_X_50, 14idaho, 2500HD, 16penny, 16gage, 41 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,115
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.