Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Go over to Marlinforums and you'll find a crapload of complaints from XS-XL-7 owners about broken extractors. No thanks, that right there squashes any interest for me. When they first came out, lots of guys crowed about how the Marlin X's were such a great bargain and were superior in design/function to a Savage. The first thing that went through my mind was that the Marlin's were as yet unproven by the test of time and I'd still take a Savage as it has a proven track record going back to 1958. I'm glad I listened to those little voices in my head and bought another Savage.

The only broken extractors from a Marlin "X" gun generally comes from steel cased ammo. I have many thousands of rounds thru my 30-06 and 308 "X" gun with no issues at all relating to the mfg of the gun.
That's a load of horse puckey. The guys reporting broken extractors {and there are lots of them} are not shooting steel cased ammo. Many of the broken extractors have been in rifles chambered .243, .270 and 25-06. Where the hell do you suppose those guys are finding steel cased ammo ?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a thought. You started with new, then went to used, How about a M98 that has already had all the work done to it?

They are available all the time under your 600, usually well under. This auction on Gunbroker, Auction # 261752353, is for a nice 1909 Argentine with nice stock, all work done and a Barska scope in .308. Current price is 271.00.

This is ALOT more rifle than comes from a bargain/entry level gun from any box dealer, and increases it's value over time. Just a thought.

I still have my first M98 conversion with a Wilson .308 barrel, Bell and Carlson stock, Timney trigger, redfield rings, drilled and tapped, parkerized, that shoot easily under 3/4 inch five shot groups, all for less than your $600. You can't get much better than that for that kind of money.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Saw a latest version .30-06 M70 sporter barrel, synthetic stock, blue metal for sale in gun store for $595 IIRC. No sights bases, etc. An all weather version comes with stainless metal, and costs more, no doubt. That price is probably discounted, but the gun likely could be found for that price elsewhere.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go over to Marlinforums and you'll find a crapload of complaints from XS-XL-7 owners about broken extractors. No thanks, that right there squashes any interest for me. When they first came out, lots of guys crowed about how the Marlin X's were such a great bargain and were superior in design/function to a Savage. The first thing that went through my mind was that the Marlin's were as yet unproven by the test of time and I'd still take a Savage as it has a proven track record going back to 1958. I'm glad I listened to those little voices in my head and bought another Savage.

The only broken extractors from a Marlin "X" gun generally comes from steel cased ammo. I have many thousands of rounds thru my 30-06 and 308 "X" gun with no issues at all relating to the mfg of the gun.
That's a load of horse puckey. The guys reporting broken extractors {and there are lots of them} are not shooting steel cased ammo. Many of the broken extractors have been in rifles chambered .243, .270 and 25-06. Where the hell do you suppose those guys are finding steel cased ammo ?

I said most of the instances, not all. How many rounds have you fired out a a Marlin "X" gun? I have over 3000 rounds thru my guns and I have friends with another 750+ rounds thru their "X" guns. They also have had no issue with extractors.

Considering the large number of "X" guns sold and the few complaints there have been in the overall product line, I think you are way off base with your commendation of the "X" gun.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fyshbum
... How about a M98 that has already had all the work done to it?...This is ALOT more rifle than comes from a bargain/entry level gun from any box dealer...

Yup. If you're careful, shopping, you might find a good sporterized Mauser for low$.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Go over to Marlinforums and you'll find a crapload of complaints from XS-XL-7 owners about broken extractors. No thanks, that right there squashes any interest for me. When they first came out, lots of guys crowed about how the Marlin X's were such a great bargain and were superior in design/function to a Savage. The first thing that went through my mind was that the Marlin's were as yet unproven by the test of time and I'd still take a Savage as it has a proven track record going back to 1958. I'm glad I listened to those little voices in my head and bought another Savage. I've never owned one of the Marlin's and with their track record for breaking extractors I don't intend to. I have owned 8 of the Savage 110/11 series rifles over a span of 30 years and several thousand rounds fired and I've yet to break a single extractor.

I said most of the instances, not all. How many rounds have you fired out a a Marlin "X" gun? I have over 3000 rounds thru my guns and I have friends with another 750+ rounds thru their "X" guns. They also have had no issue with extractors.

Considering the large number of "X" guns sold and the few complaints there have been in the overall product line, I think you are way off base with your commendation of the "X" gun.
There have been FAR MORE complaints of broken extractors with the Marlins than from ANY OTHER brand of bolt action rifle on the market. Since they are still relatively new to the market and there are FAR FEWER of them out there in shooters hands than rifles from Savage, Howa/Weatherby, Ruger etc., the implications are crystal clear. There are even instructions posted on Marlinforums for modifying Savage extractors to fit the Marlin X's as the best "fix" for the problem.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
There have been FAR MORE complaints of broken extractors with the Marlins than from ANY OTHER brand of bolt action rifle on the market. Since they are still relatively new to the market and there are FAR FEWER of them out there in shooters hands than rifles from Savage, Howa/Weatherby, Ruger etc., the implications are crystal clear. There are even instructions posted on Marlinforums for modifying Savage extractors to fit the Marlin X's as the best "fix" for the problem.

Heresay "Evidence" from ONE online forum? That is some FUNNY schit.

Especially given the fact that forum's web traffic is DRIVEN by overblowing complaints' about Marlins. There are LOTS of Marlin X7 owners on this froum and WHERE are the complaints about those extractors?

The one common thread behind The defunct SHOOTERS Marlin Forums, the Marlin Company forums and the current Marlin owners forums is they ALL were populated by self anointed experts who think they know more about building the rifles then Marlin themselves.

Guys like you and Logcutter slither over to forums like this and then repeat the same schit without any proof- just more rumor mongering.

Unsafe rifle alterations,loading data and overblown QC issues is about ALL one could ever expect from the Marlin Owner's forums. Fair and intelligent discourse about them is not one of them.

Look at this thread. Except for you wailing about it like the national debt, I see nobody else else even mentioning it.

Last edited by jim62; 11/23/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you haven't seen the lack of quality in the Marlin line since Remington took over production you either haven't looked or you don't know Jack schitt. From my gunsmithing days I know just about any part on any rifle can and will occasionally fail but there have been way too many complaints about the Marlins to ignore. Now have a coke and a smile and go [bleep] yourself to death you worthless, rotten, inbred son of a whore.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you haven't seen the lack of quality in the Marlin line since Remington took over production you either haven't looked or you don't know Jack schitt. From my gunsmithing days I know just about any part on any rifle can and will occasionally fail but there have been way too many complaints about the Marlins to ignore.

More conjecture without any hard proof, just spreading false rumors.

Like I said, WHERE are all the complaints about the X7 extractors HERE?

Plenty of owners post on this entire site. Probably even more than on the Marlinwhiners forums.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn't buy a Marlin X7 for the simple reason it always looked to me to be a pure ripoff of the Savage. Always had a fairly high opinion of Marlin until they did that. If you can't innovate and are reduced to cloning another mfr's rifle, even if you can do it for less, than get out of the business.

Jmho.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just as I thought, you haven't even looked at any of the Remlins and wouldn't be able to identify the fall in quality if you did.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just as I thought, you haven't even looked at any of the Remlins and wouldn't be able to identify the fall in quality if you did.

Actually, I HAVE looked at plenty of new Marlins since the Cerberus buyout. Even shot a few.. Most of the "new QC issues" brought up on Marlinwhiners forums were sporatic QC issues with Marlins going back 20 to 30 years..

The tin foil hat wearing "experts" over on the MarlinWhiners began bitching the MINUTE the takeover was announced- because that's what the guys at Marlinwhiners.com DO. They bitch.

Same song, different verse. All based mostly on heresay and conjecture.

It does not sound to me like you've ever owned an X7 rifle yourself, yet you claim to know all about the extractors on them. Funny schit.

Last edited by jim62; 11/23/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have to buy new, savage or weatherby/howa but I would encourage you to just sit back and watch our classifieds section. Tons of deals/steals to be had there.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Three words: Cabelas Black Friday - Leupold VXI for $159 leaving you enough to buy any of the several rifles mentioned for a little under $500.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looked at half a dozen new lever action Remlins at my local sporting good store here in Montana last week.

Poor fit and finish stopped me from even asking to have the locks removed to check the actions.

I sure like my old ones.

Last edited by Henry McCann; 11/23/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Tikka.

+1

I have had 6 tikka's all shot good to great and cost under $600.

The vanguards and Howa's I have shot were accurate but are at least a pound heavier than my Tikka's.

Ted
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Henry McCann
Looked at half a dozen new lever action Remlins at my local sporting good store here in Montana last week.

Poor fit and finish stopped me from even asking to have the locks removed to check the actions.

I sure like my old ones.

Noticed that myself. Had one with a forearm that moved, and most of them seemed to have gaps between stock and metal.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Last edited by pal; 11/23/11.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Baylian Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
To the guys who high-jacked this thread to be rude to each other over your opinions on Marlins, Please stop.

I liked the Savage model 11 when I went to look at Sportsman's. I liked the trigger pull on the accutrigger. I liked the accustock. But I have read a bad review about the stock causing accuracy issues and the hinged floor plate opening on a shot. I know one review on one rifle doesn't make it true for all. Anyone have experience with the accustock or hinged floor plate doing this?

Baylian

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 160user, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 219DW, 66 invisible), 2,977 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,222
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.