Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Yup, I found that out today. I talked to a girl at Shiloh who thought one of their smiths had worked for A-Square at one time, but he appearently didn't know anything new.

Phil

Thanks for cleaning up yer' act.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Jeez, remind me NEVER to piss you off.

Oh, how many times friends have said that to me!

But not always in those same words.

When we were in forestry school at Auburn (1953�1955), Wyatt and I hunted squirrels 'way back in the woods where the road ended at a huge clearing where a big pile of sawdust and slabs marked the site of a long-gone sawmill. Wyatt went one way and I another. We met back at the car when we got our limit (six, IIRC) or the sun was going down.

A group of local Negro men hunted there, too � and I enjoyed rich pickin's by just following them through the woods until I found a good spot to sit still and wait. They never stopped and were never quiet. They marched through the woods in a cluster, talking loud and shooting shotguns at every tree-top squirrel nest that they passed. After they'd gone on and the woods were quiet again, the squirrels came out again, and my .22 had plenty to do for a while.

One evening, I was back at the car, waiting for Wyatt, when the Negroes came out of the woods. As hunters always do, we asked "How'dja do?" They had nothing, and wanted to see proof that I'd "got my limit." I laid my six or so on the front fender of Wyatt's Buick.

"Look at dat!" one of 'em said, "Evva one shot spang th'oo de head!" Then one of 'em noticed the 7�-inch Colt single-action on my hip.

"Can you shoot dat'n' as good as you shoots dat twenny-two?"

"No, not as well."

"Le's see!"

That clearing had been a popular plinking spot for a long time. The only things there that were big enough to shoot at were bits and pieces from bottles. I made five of 'em smaller.

"Man! I sho' wouldn't want you shootin' at me with dat thing!"

"Huh!" another one said, "I wouldn't want 'im shootin' at me with nuffin!"

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another time, one said to another, "I wouldn't be skeered to let you shoot at me!"

"I would!" a third said, "He might hit me on de acksy-dent."

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have any of you boy's got any current information on these guy's, especially the production manager, one Toyon J. Wiggs?

He contacted me about finishing a project for me back in May of this year saying that Sharps Rifle Company were the new owners of A-Square...

I have been waiting on a call from them since July and now find that all there phones have been disconnected or so says the recording I'm getting!

Could sure use some help getting hold of these guy's! mad

Phil

From what I read somewhere, this guy, Jay, actually runs part of the company:

Wyoming Professional Hunters, Ltd
PO Box 2050
Glenrock, WY 82637
email: JayWyomingProfessionalHunters.com
307-436-8655
Wyoming Outfitter License #BG183

Click to Email us

Monster Whitetails are Awesome!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
BTW Marty if your willing to pay to send it back yah can borrow my copy for a bit....

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...p;tn=Any+Shot+You+Want&x=76&y=24

Or $20 plus $5 shipping for my copy.

PM me first.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Call the Sheriff's Department in their County, ask some questions. I would bet there are some hunter/shooters there, and they like to stop in for coffee and BS. Just saying.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Like some others here said, I do like his reloading manual. I also remember reading about his guns in Shooting Times years ago and noticed how heavy they were. Didn't want any part of that.

I was curious as to why so many people here don't seem to think too highly of him. I guess now I'm getting a good idea.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
The book is well worth the read, although much in it is about selling their brand of bullets. Now that we have such good bonded and mono-metal bullets, much of the A-square sell seems outdated.

All I ever got stuck with is the worst batch of brass for a 358STA that I ever saw. Had to pay up front, wait a year, and was afraid to use what I got. Couldn't get a refund on them.

When .220 Sako brass became non-existent a benchrest shooter contracted with them to make 6PPC Classic brass. I had to pay $125 up front for 100 pieces and when I finally got them they were so bad I just trashed them. That seems to be a way of life for them. Trash begets trash.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dealing with "the Colonel" have been chronicled here before, and were definitely negative.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Old news but might shed some light for the OP.
http://trib.com/news/local/crime-an...e499575-6308-565f-bca0-deb51704f54a.html

Alphin has supposedly sold the company to The Sharps Rifle Company but they appear to be nothing more than a pipe dream. Scammer getting scammed?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember Allen Day calling A-Square "Art Alphin's Fying Circus". Still chuckle about that...

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by brooksrange
Have any of you boy's got any current information on these guy's, especially the production manager, one Toyon J. Wiggs?

He contacted me about finishing a project for me back in May of this year saying that Sharps Rifle Company were the new owners of A-Square...

I have been waiting on a call from them since July and now find that all there phones have been disconnected or so says the recording I'm getting!

Could sure use some help getting hold of these guy's! mad

Phil

From what I read somewhere, this guy, Jay, actually runs part of the company:

Wyoming Professional Hunters, Ltd
PO Box 2050
Glenrock, WY 82637
email: JayWyomingProfessionalHunters.com
307-436-8655
Wyoming Outfitter License #BG183

Click to Email us

Any update for us?

Monster Whitetails are Awesome!!!
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Just got off the phone with Mike Blanc from A-Square, I had a very nice long chat with him ( must have been an hour or more) about what is going on with the company, and what the future might hold...

Doesn't look like Art Alpin is going to be much of a part of things from now on...

The Hanabil rifle probably won't be produced there any more, but a new item is in the works...

Mike spent a couple day's trying to get a hold of me, and I kept missing his calls, finally we were able to talk and he informed me that my dies and tooling have been sent back to me...

That's the only thing I was worried about, them getting lost in the change of management.

I'm leaving the deposit on the new rifle in his hands hoping that I will get in on the ground floor when the new rifle production does start...

I'm very satasified at this point, and wish them the best on the new company...

Phil

H
HKW Offline
H
Greyghost,

We have lots in common.. I received a call from Toyon is ~March about my order.. ($900 dropped on a Tyran in 2008)

got the whole chit-chat about a new owner and how things were moving on & up.. had many conversation with Toyon since, and recently found ALL phone numbers disconnected..

long story short, I got lots of money on a rifle I was lead to believe was weeks away from finishing..

I suspected that since Mike appears to be trying to graft his 'dream' of manufacturing the Merwin Hulbert pistol into the A-square opperation. What it appears to have done is effectively ruined a slow-start of Alphin operation, and that Art has decided to run for the hills..

I shall me calling Mike myself next week and ask some questions of my own.. Since I have 'Sharps' new number: 888-320-3113.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It's too bad they don't take away Art Alpins patents. It's too bad that the 338/06 has that crappy name attached to it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
What ever was/is going on he kept his word in making sure my dies and tooling was sent back to me... had them back in hand within just a couple day's, well kept for and in same new conditon as when I sent them to them... whether or not the $900 deposit thing is cleared up and when is another matter...

My main concern at this time was getting this stuff back, and not lost in all the confusuion... spent some $1,200 for a reamer, re-reamer, 3-piece gauge set, 2-piece Redding set of forming dies to neck down and place the shoulder for fireforming, and a 3-piece Deluxe die set for loading... to me that would have been a lot to loose, not to mention all the time and effort put into this project!

Phil

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
It's too bad they don't take away Art Alpins patents. It's too bad that the 338/06 has that crappy name attached to it.

+1000

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With Dakota and Serengeti in business and doing right, I'm mystified by the continuing interest in A-Square.

"Good enough" isn't.

H
HKW Offline
H
At this point, I dont care what is going on with A-square AKA Sharps Rifle Company AKA MerwinHulbert, ect..

Now, I am trying to figure out which state to issue a summons for small claims court. My state of Indiana, WY, or where Mike Blank lives in MO..

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
This thread keeps popping up, but in answer to your question Ken, I started talking to Art back in early 2008 about the rifle I wanted, and mid 2009 when I put the deposit on it... He was willing to listen to me about what I wanted and was willing to do a rifle on a wildcat for me.

I've talked to a bunch of gunsmiths, and there's a bunch that won't open up a bolt face, wont do a build based on a wildcat, and some that don't even want to work on Winchesters.

It's been a long time since I've had my little maching shop, so having someone else do the build was imparitive...

Phil

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (06hunter59, 1minute, 338rcm, 222Sako, 338reddog, 264magnum, 62 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,541
Posts18,491,511
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.