Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After many years of my reloading bench being relegated to the corner of a garage, toolshed, or what have you, I'm finally taking the opportunity to build my dream reloading room. I thought I would throw these questions out to you all:

If you could change the design of your bench, what would you change? What do you think is a really snazzy addition to your bench that you would recommend to others?

Just for background, this is the way the current setup is looking:

I have a storage shed behind my house that is going to be my reloading/gun maintance room. It is a 10x6 brick building with a concete floor. I have a dillon 650 press and an RCBS ammomaster press that is going to be mounted on it.

I have all kinds of woodworking tools and I am going to build the whole setup myself. Let me know any suggestions that you have, and please post some pictures. Thanks

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, here you go. I will start the ball rolling with mine.
I have had this same set -up since the 1970's and it has been practical for me and my loading needs.

[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My bench is one I built myself out of some old lumber & a few store bought items. I like the design & wouldn't change a thing about it. I do have another bench that I made & the only changes I would make is to build a lot of shelving for supplies and on the other bench set up a Lee progressive loader for each of the pistols and leave it set up. Might do the same thing for the shotgun too. That is about the only changes I would make.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have a storage shed behind my house that is going to be my reloading/gun maintance room. It is a 10x6 brick building with a concete floor. I have a dillon 650 press and an RCBS ammomaster press that is going to be mounted on it.

That is worth a left nut all by itself smile

Whip up your own bench top with some 3/4 osb glued and screwed. Formica top edged and banded with a strip of hardwood. Shelves done the same. The 2x4-6 legs and shelf across the bottom will fall together easily enough.. Most important though, when your done your bench build 2 drawers under the top. Split the top in half or thirds with some 2x's for framing. Get some HD drawer slides from hardware store and whip up a few drawer fronts. This is the most important feature of your bench!

You will be most happy with yourself by being able to just pull a drawer under the benchtop and have every tool you need and your disposal.. I promise....

JMO

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C'mon, you guys. He said 'ultimate'. Not some cheap piecer made outta osb and framing grade lumber. Think furniture or cabinet grade stuff...... Make him spend some real money.grin

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=wooferYou will be most happy with yourself by being able to just pull a drawer under the benchtop and have every tool you need and your disposal.. [/quote]

What brand of garbage 'disposal' do you recommend for spent primers and split brass?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is my Man Cave. Many a relaxing hours spent at that bench, and hopefully more to come.

[img]http://x.co/bAY2[/img]
[img]http://x.co/bAYH[/img]

Shipster

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Huntsman, 3rd drawer on the right......

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ranch hand, If you want to see pictures for idea's, head over to, http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/994103278

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Lots of lighting, lots of outlets.

At one time 35 years ago I had a dedicated loading room with hanging flourescents over a Sears workbench with a metal base, suspension drawers and some home modifications to stiffen the sides which were plenty stout for load bearing but maybe could oil can just the least bit. Recently as I've been able in retirement to look forward to a dedicated setup again I bought a nice Sears stainless top - stainless shell over medium density - and came to the reluctant conclusion that my current setup with turrets, single stage and a progressive with electrical feeders would clutter a bench especially with electrical cords.

It would be nice to use the stainless shell for a grounded base to maybe improve powder flow in the measures but.

So I've decided to reserve the big stainless top for a working bench - means I don't need a sacrifical top to soak up Hoppes spills and the steel may be a little shiny but may or may not help me see things with a rifle in a cradle and bore scope in the rifle.

I've decided to mount my presses on a series of smaller free standing - nailed down - work surfaces cut from what Sears calls butcher block at 1-1/2 thick (not really butcher block which is end grain just pieced and glued together for styling but nicely finished). This will allow me access to get all around the progessive which seems like a nice way to be able to go with a progessive and electical feeders all wobbling hither and yon. Storage is mostly a mix of Sears and Harbor Freight rollaways. All storage is rolling but clumsy to move around much.

The big difference from the past is a couple of smaller bench tops for the presses and a big long bench for everything else. Remains to be seen how I'll like it over the long haul but that's my take on ultimate. The folks at Ultimate Reloader dot com have the nicest t slot mounting system I've ever seen pictured but notice that with all the metal things still flex when the Hornady progessive is being worked with the electrical accessories. I think a smaller mount can be made more rigid but what do I know.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ranchhand02
After many years of my reloading bench being relegated to the corner of a garage, toolshed, or what have you, I'm finally taking the opportunity to build my dream reloading room. I thought I would throw these questions out to you all:

If you could change the design of your bench, what would you change? What do you think is a really snazzy addition to your bench that you would recommend to others?

Just for background, this is the way the current setup is looking:

I have all kinds of woodworking tools and I am going to build the whole setup myself. Let me know any suggestions that you have, and please post some pictures. Thanks

Its nice to have benches or table tops for doing other gun chores too like working on them and cleaning them. For the most part my reloading area is small but it works great. Everything is positioned perfectly for my needs. Notice the beam scale is elevated for a more eye level approach:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Make sure you build yourself some cabinents to put stuff in too

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input guys. I will try and get some pics posted tomorrow so you can see what I have to work with. Keep the good ideas coming. Thanks

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I second lots of lighting and outlets.

I chose to make my bench standing height. I do most stuff standing and it is faster to walk around than sit and constantly getting up. Make it as long as possible. Can't have enough space.

Get some sort of vice to hold a rifle on the side of your loading bench. Note the harbor freight vice with red rubber on the wooden jaws. One of the best things on that bench. I use it almost daily.

A sound system is nice too. My old stereo has XM radio.

The cupboards were a dining room set that was sold cheap at a garage sale.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If pictures of Hammer's set up are still floating around, I can't imagine much more "ultimate" than that...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I would like to see that

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The only problem I see is you will be limited for space so you may have to get a nice little corner space set up like I showed in a previous post. "10'x6'" isn't going to be very big but big enough if you build it right. Maybe have one wall with cupbords like suggested earlier and one corner designated for reloading. That way you have plenty of storage space and a reasonable amount of room for reloading (It doesn't really take that much space for that). Also have a place for a small work table so you can do some gunsmithing/cleaning type of work if you are into that.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
After years of my reloading operation being located in the basement, I moved into the fourth bedroom on the upper level of my home. I wanted a bench that looked more presentable than the one I had been using in the basement. So I went to the local unfinished furniture store, I selected a butcherblock topped bakers table, highback swivel bar chair and small two shelf bookcase. I stained and finished all three pieces to match, they look like furniture meant to be upstairs in the house. Over the bench I added three eyeball lights and now I have a very presentable well lighted reloading area. My gun safe occupies one corner and the closet stores all my hunting clothing, boots and associated gear. Finally everything is in one place, last but not least a Bose sound system provides relaxing listening while I am loading.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

IMO the critical ingredient for a reloading room is a long STURDY bench, at least 1" plywood or, better yet, maple butcher block. Anchor it to a wall and use 4x4s attached to the deck for support.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
1. As much bench space as possible ("standing" height is preference). The more rigid the better.

2. Light and more light.

3. Strategically placed quality sound system.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
After years of my reloading operation being located in the basement, I moved into the fourth bedroom on the upper level of my home. I wanted a bench that looked more presentable than the one I had been using in the basement. So I went to the local unfinished furniture store, I selected a butcherblock topped bakers table, highback swivel bar chair and small two shelf bookcase. I stained and finished all three pieces to match, they look like furniture meant to be upstairs in the house. Over the bench I added three eyeball lights and now I have a very presentable well lighted reloading area. My gun safe occupies one corner and the closet stores all my hunting clothing, boots and associated gear. Finally everything is in one place, last but not least a Bose sound system provides relaxing listening while I am loading.

So eloquenlty spoken.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 59 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.