Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by rattler

heres a real Jeep

Donno man...his looked pretty real to me.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I started with flat fenders, CJ5, CJ7, and finally my TJ. That's 50 years of wheeling.

You try and turn those sticky 37's with no PS. hell, I was thinking of going hydraulic. They don't want to turn in rocks.

Not a problem with your little tires. smile

we dont have rocks, least not enough for a dedicated rig for them....mainly have clay and USUALLY lil rain so for the most part it is fine as is to play with other than it REALLY needs a locker in the rear......mainly bought it for a mobile shooting platform for gophers spring and summer.....power steering would be nice but atleast it has power brakes.....

actually really would kinda like a rig like yours, i bought this cause it was cheaper than a quad.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by rattler

heres a real Jeep

Donno man...his looked pretty real to me.

for the most part Jeepers are sorta split between 1986 and older and 87 and newer.....basically the dividing line is when Chrysler bought Jeep.....some guys like the older more rugged looking few frills rigs, some like the newer......no doubt though that the Rubicons are damn good rigs from the dealer, even better when worked over.....

just havent worked up the drive to pay the price for a Rubicon when im gonna tear it apart if i do especially when it will mainly be used for a mobile gopher shooting platform as i like my full size truck for hunting and have no need for a rock rig in the summer....lot of money for just a warm weather toy, especially when yah already have an expensive gun hobby crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I would never waste my money on a Rubicon. I'd have to throw away the whole drive train like I did on my non Rubicon.

A Rubicon is a street Jeep that can be taken off road for medium wheeling. Mine was built for hard wheeling that can be driven on the street. Take your pick.

A Rubicon will be much cheaper. wink

btw 86 was the last CJ. From 86 to 96 were YJ's. Square headlights, still leaf springs. Goofy looking Jeeps. It's the only model i've never owned. The TJ started in 97 and is the best Jeep made in my opinion. Coil springs made a world of difference in articulation. No comment on the newer Jeeps, but you couldn't give me one. They remind me of a Hummer. Chrysler gave into what the yuppies wanted. I guess I commented after all. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would never waste my money on a Rubicon. I'd have to throw away the whole drive train like I did on my non Rubicon.

Well that's a little extreme! The Rubicon can easily handle 35 to 36" tires and with it's 4 to 1 transfer case all it needs is a good long arm kit and you are good to go. My guess is your TJ came with a D35 and I know it had the low pinion D30 and yes you have throw all of that away.

I have a 44 and a Hi pinoin 30 in the one in the pics on 35s and its holding up.

A Rubicon is a street Jeep that can be taken off road for medium wheeling. Mine was built for hard wheeling that can be driven on the street. Take your pick.

That's funny wink

btw 86 was the last CJ. From 86 to 96 were YJ's. Square headlights, still leaf springs. Goofy looking Jeeps. It's the only model i've never owned. The TJ started in 97 and is the best Jeep made in my opinion. Coil springs made a world of difference in articulation. No comment on the newer Jeeps, but you couldn't give me one. They remind me of a Hummer. Chrysler gave into what the yuppies wanted. I guess I commented after all. smile

I agree on all of this, and I also skipped the YJ's goofy looking for sure. sick

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
When I built my Jeep. I was living in Big Bear Ca. It was just built when those pictures were taken. Look close at the licence plate. I wish it still looked like that. frown

Anyway, I was 30 minutes from the Hammer Trails in Johnson Valley. Probably the hardest trails (trails?) you can put a Jeep through. I was with a group that ran the Hammers every weekend. We had a couple of guys buy Rubicons. They just wouldn't hold up, and before they were done. They had drivetrains similar to mine. A Rubicon is not cost effective if you plan to do really hard wheeling. If you're going to to run easier trails like the Rubicon in No Cal. The Rubicon will be ok.

Actually, my Jeep had a D44 in the rear. I sold it. I would have broke it. Don't ask how I know this. smile

I think the Rubicon is a good deal for the average guy who doesn't want to build his own, or spend the money to do it. It does have it's limitations though, and if you want to go past those limits. You have to build it.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You are really funny. I've been in, and around Jeeps for over 50 yrs. I started that association back when a rebuilt Jeep was a US military surplus one worked over by those who understood them.
First of all, no 4WD will hold up when the driver doesn't know how to use it properly. No Jeep, or any other 4WD, will do what it can, again, if the driver doesn't use it properly.
That's what makes your comments about "your Jeep" vs. the Rubicons so ridiculous. Put a decent lift kit and a larger set of tires, and a Rubicon will follow you anywhere as long as it's driven by a competent driver. E

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
You're really funny too. I guess D44's never break? News to me. I've seen too much carnage (not mine), and know better. Now you're judging my driving too without knowing me?. LOL

I'm done on this subject. I'm not getting in a spitting contest over it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is my wheeling/hunting Jeep. D60/D44, Atlas, air lockers, long arm etc etc. Way too much money to add it up. It would scare me.

[Linked Image]

Nice Rig.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You're really funny too. I guess D44's never break? News to me. I've seen too much carnage (not mine), and know better. Now you're judging my driving too without knowing me?. LOL

Yes 44s do brake! thats why I'm kind of Puzzled why you put one in the front of yours if you are going to spend money on putting a 44 in the front why not do a 60 same money? Not trying to get into a pissing match with you your jeep is a nice rig. I know mine with 35's is at it's limits.

I do know when I go bigger It will have a 60 in the front and a shaved 14 bolt in the rear and will be stretched to about 107" wheel base. the stock wheel base isn't getting it any more.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

[Linked Image]

MH, what are the extra levers for? To select different drive ranges? I just noticed them.

Thanks, NYH1! wink

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by joecool544

Yes 44s do brake! thats why I'm kind of Puzzled why you put one in the front of yours if you are going to spend money on putting a 44 in the front why not do a 60 same money? Not trying to get into a pissing match with you your jeep is a nice rig. I know mine with 35's is at it's limits.

I do know when I go bigger It will have a 60 in the front and a shaved 14 bolt in the rear and will be stretched to about 107" wheel base. the stock wheel base isn't getting it any more.

You know how Jeep builds are. You go through a bunch of stages until you get it the way you want it. I did put a D60 (Rock Jock) in the front later on. I also took out the Tera 60 in the rear for a Rock Jock too.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by NYH1

[Linked Image]

MH, what are the extra levers for? To select different drive ranges? I just noticed them.

Thanks, NYH1! wink

It's an Atlas Transfer Case. (5-1) Pretty bullet proof. It gives you the option of running just front wheel drive to pull around tight stuff. So, you have the option to run front drive, rear drive, or both in high or low range.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man, you guys are going to force me to start spending money on my Jeep again ('84 CJ7). Just when I thought I was getting my McMillan habit under control!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Jeeps are a money pit. I stopped spending money on mine two years ago. It's pretty much my hunting Jeep now.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by NYH1

[Linked Image]

Thanks, NYH1! wink

It's an Atlas Transfer Case. (5-1) Pretty bullet proof. It gives you the option of running just front wheel drive to pull around tight stuff. So, you have the option to run front drive, rear drive, or both in high or low range.

That's cool, sounds like a neat setup. Thanks for the info.

NYH1! wink

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That we can agree on. I stopped spending alot of extra money on mine when I took a good look at what successful hunters use in the way of 4WD's.
They use pretty stock units for the most part. E

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by KDK
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Junk
Each
Every
Piece

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
very nice pictures of some very nice jeeps.
im 76 years old and still enjoy reading and talking about jeeps.
i especially enjoy owning and using them for hunting and back road/off roading in the mountains of n/c pa.
the photo of the cj and the comments from its owner are what caused me to type these words.
i had a 79 cj7 for quite a few years.
it was lifted 3" to allow for 33" tires. it had a strong 252 engine with a t18 4 speed transmission.
i had purchased 44 rears for front and rear but never got around to installing them or the lockers planed for them.
it was the mistake of my lifetime.
on just a very small ammount of packed snow on a maderate grade the jeep lost traction on one wheel of each axel.
that caused foward momentum to stop and a slide rearward to begin.
faster than i could react we were over the edge of a very steep slope.
when it stopped rolling my friend of 60+ years was dead and i was injured and lucky to survive.
the stock rollbar was the only thing that saved me and that wouldnt have survived another roll.
so by all means dont put off installing lockers on any vehicle
used offroad.
traction is the most important element.
the best tires wont give traction when the wheels stop turning.

i now own an 06 rubicon unlimited with a warn winch and automatic transmission.
and yes i feel its better than a standard offroad.
my old cj cant be compared to this jeep in any way.
i dont do rock crawling nor will i do dangerous trails.
i dont mind mud and water up to the doors.
im also using studded tires for winter use.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 2UP, 25 invisible), 1,823 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,002
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.