Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Where i hunt in northeast PA is pretty thick, so i dont even own a scope. In fact i have never shot past 73 yards and rarely even have an opportunity to do so. Our hunting tactics are stand hunting, still hunting and making drives, especially in bear season in the thick stuff. Quick shots are a common place.

Im wondering should i keep my open sights or get a red dot scope or a peep sight? I know how the open sights work but have never used a peep or red dot scope. (if i got a red dot the highest i would go is 4x)

I have hard that getting a peep can cause the point of impact to change so much that youll need a new front sght to fix the change. is that true?

any other info is appreciated. thanks

Last edited by scottprice; 11/25/11.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome,

upon admission - your posts needs some attention.

1) Use of an aperture (peep) sight.

Williams makes them for the 7600. You may need a higher front sight. Not so much POI changes, but line of sight...

2)Use of a red dot sight.

Do you mean reflex sight (EO Tech, Docter, Aimpoint) or a scope with an illuminated reticle?

All told - my pick would be to leave the factory open sights, mount some steel weaver bases (Warne) and get Warne Qick detach rings to mount a Leupold 2,5x20 Scope with a heavy duplex reticle.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recommend that you use a red-dot sight. I had a number of Optima 2000s on revolvers that were really great. They have 2 advantages over open sights. First you don't have to align the front and rear sights with your target. All you have to do is put the dot on the target. This makes it much easier to make quick shots. The second reason is that it is much easier to see the red-dot than conventional sights in low light conditions. The problem would be that you can't see the target because the brightness of the red-dot. Generally, the red-dots have a sensor that automatically reduces the intensity of the dot as it gets darker.

[Linked Image from ]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm a simple old style hunter. My Marlin 30-30 wears a FX-II 6x36. I would have preferred a FX-II 4X33 but I took what was in stock.

So in summary I suggest that you consider the Leupold FX-II 4X33.

Best of luck whatever you choose.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If going away from open sights in the situation you describe I would go with an EOTech 512.A65/1 M510 tact AA w/2D STD Reticle and call it good.

Link to online sale

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
thanks for the info....keep the suggestions coming!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you have good eye sight it's hard to beat a ghost aperture (peep sight). I used one on my Remington 742 for years.

Did not have to change the front post but you may have to.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
FWIW, your style and mine here in NH are very similar. I picked up a fixed Weaver K1.5 for my 7600 carbine from VAnimrod here on the 'Fire and wouldn't change a thing. Huge FOV, and just a little magnification to assist my schitty eyes.

Just about perfect....

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If I was going with a dot type sight I'd get a Leupold DeltaPoint Reflex Sight or one of that type. Light and small. I like the triangle type "dot". You can zero on the top pont and have the rest of the triangle for hold over.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I have a set of tritium sights on my 7600. Nice for overcast, cloudy days deep in the timber. I like them.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Rifle accuracy is closely matched to the barrel sights!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
ttt

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think I have a rear peep squirreled away upstairs if you want to try one. It should just screw in the rear scope mount holes and should not require a new front, assuming that you have a ramped front sight (which I think the 7600 does). PM me.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A low powered, low mounted scope is the best route in my opinion. You can always see better with magnification but you can get too much magnification. You might consider a 2.5x8 scope. It has the low power and the higher power if the opportunity to hunt more open places ever presents itself.

Welcome to the 'fire.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
supercrewd PM sent...

thanks for the info guys. Looks like a have a few options here!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,175
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.