24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I'm curious if anyone has ever ran into or heard about this problem...

I have a Savage Model 99A, I've owned it about 35 years. I love the gun, but rarely hunt with it because it's chambered in .358 Winchester, and the shells have gotten extremely difficult to find(and expensive).

I had it hunting about 10 years ago, and took the safety off when a bear showed up....and the gun suddenly went off (naturally, didn't get another chance at that bear). I chalked it up to excitement that time, and figured I'd accidentally had my finger on the trigger.

I've hunted with it a couple times since then, and taken it to the range for an occasional few shots, and all seemed fine. I decided to take it out of storage last week to go deer hunting. Anyway, out pops a buck, I switched the safety to fire, and again it suddenly went off (luckily, the buck stood there & gave me a second shot).

This is twice that the gun suddenly fired as soon as I put it on fire, without my pulling the trigger ( I think). I DO think that the safety is VERY sloppy and loose, but hesitate to start taking guns apart without knowing what I'm doing.

Has anyone ever heard of this before or had the same problem? Obviously, I'm thinking a trip to the gunsmith is in order, unless what I'm describing is physically impossible. Would just putting the gun on fire cause the gun to fire if any parts are defective, or is the gun designed so the only way it fires would be by squeezing the trigger?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

GB1

S
S
I would pull everything apart and clean it real well, is it the saftey that holds the lever also or is it a top tang? If its the latter i would have no clue.

If its the lever lock style i really cant think of how it could cause this, Maybe its hanging up on trigger. But the lever style blocks the trigger from rearward movement and locks the lever from opening.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have heard of just a very few 99s with this problem but it can happen. I would take it to a 'smith but only if he professes to have some knowledge of the tang safety 99s. They are not as easily repaired as the simple lever safety actions.

OP Offline
Sorry, forgot to mention, it's a top tang safety.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
UncleNicky....I have a solution....I will take that poorly designed Savage malcontent of a rifle off your hands and you will no longer have a problem! wink wink wink

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a solution too... sell it and buy a pre-mil...

thought I would jump in before Lauren or Jed did...

Andrew
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd have problems with selling a gun that fires when safety is moved. I'd either get it fixed or part it out.

Or possibly sell it with full disclosure to somebody who might be able to fix it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why not sell it as a "Rifle that adds an element of excitement to the hunt not often encountered". There are plenty of adrenalin junkies with ex hunting partners out there. Think of the positive...

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm thinking of the father/son that hunt with hot chambers, and dad goes to unload the gun at the car...

OP Offline
Ha ha...I'm new here, but I see there quite a lot of comedians on this forum. laugh

I'm not really interested in selling the gun (yet). I'll take it to a gunsmith first before I go that route. I guess this is more of a "fishing trip" right now, I DID look around the internet and wasn't able to find anything on this particular Model 99 issue.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you have the safety on and squeeze the trigger then let go of the trigger and take off the safety it may fire if the sear is close or has been lightened by an unqualified gun smith. bottom line Have it checked by an experienced 99 smith. not just any smith they are not trained for 99s. grin

OP Offline
Thanks Hubert. Any suggestions on a gunsmith who specializes in 99s?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
the GS i have used for 40 yrs is close to 100 and is no longer reliable, I don't know any others. crazy

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1badf350, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,164
Posts18,503,048
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.