Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
So if shot placement is apparently the only answer, all I need is a 270 for frontal shots on elephant?

Don't forget the need for a suitable bullet

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Brother Dave
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Brother Dave
If by "wiser" you now believe it "wise" to traipse around the Kenai with any rifle smaller than a 338, I'd say you are bordering on insanity.

They get a LOT bigger on the Kenai.

Wow. Serious?

East to west the average brownie increases in size. Are you sure you live in AK?

I guess you'd suggest a 223AI?

Yeah, I live here. We find a lot of humor in folks like you and your bear 'expertise'. Carry on...I can use another laugh this morning.

You should follow his post in other forums, he is always good for a laugh or a head scratch with a "WTF is he talking about"

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
He gave me a bit of an asschewing at the 2008 SCI show in Reno right outside of the Hornady booth.

Boiled down to I needed to be very careful on the path I was traveling as it could turn out bad.

Understand that at that time he had killed and been involved in killing quite a bit of game at ranges out to and beyond 1000yds. His point was that he had done it and knew the pitfalls and maybe promoting long range shooting at game might not be the best idea. I have no reason to believe he has changed his opinion.

We always talk when we run into each other at the shows and such but that was the only time it really came up.

I once asked Ross about shooting game at long range and asked me to "define long range". I responded with "beyond 600 yards". Ross said that he didn't think that most people should shoot at game that far and that is as far as we got. Over time as we stayed in contact Ross opened up about the taking of game at long range and he stated that he had no problem with it as long as the individual learned how to do so properly and that he believed that I had and at that point Ross opened up on the subject. I found out that day how much Ross knew on the subject and as far as I am concerned he is EXTREMELY knowledgeable indeed. Yes Ross has taken far past 1000 yards and knows how to do so effectively

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Calvin
Seyfried despises the Rums, I see a need for them in my battery.

Calvin,

Ross has them in his personal battery also. The very first .338 G&A was built for him (to his specs) by Dakota and technically used what was to become the .300 RUM case but with the .338 bullet.

At the same time Ross designed the .338 G&A (from the .460 G&A) there was also a chamber drawing made for the.300 G&A using exactly the same case. When Ross showed me the chamber drawing I asked if he was going to also build a rifle in the .300 G&A and he laughed and said �What�s the point if I have the .338 G&A?�

I remember we were shooting some other stuff one day and he wanted to double check the zero on his .338 G&A before leaving for an elk hunt in Montana. He fired three shots from a cold bore at a 2 inch orange dot at 200yds and had three hits in the dot. Group was just over an inch. 225 gr bullets @ 3200fps. I don�t remember if the bullets were Failsafes or X bullets.

I think where Ross started to change his opinion was in guiding hunters who also were fans of his writing. He really promoted horse power in the late 80s/early 90s articles for Gun and Ammo but based those articles on his own shooting ability, which really is at a whole different level from the average hunter. I suspect seeing quite a few guys show up at his ranch with big cartridges (the ones he wrote about) but unable to actually hit an elk has moderated his opinion and recommendations on elk cartridges.

JB is spot on. Ross also believes that the better bullets of today make smaller cartridges much more viable today than in yesteryear

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You all are both right, the 270 kills just fine when put in the vitals, the magnums work just fine when put in the vitals. I will say the magnums "when practiced with" will give more confidence on raking or tougher shots. I also agree they will not kill any better than smaller cartriges except when tough situations arise. This being said I think both sides should just be happy and keep hunting with what works for you. All of us have stories of lost game with regular cartridges and magnums the like. It comes down to being a good hunter and knowing your limits and the limits of your equipment. T.S.

IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
So if shot placement is apparently the only answer, all I need is a 270 for frontal shots on elephant?

Nah, you can probably get done with one of your Weatherby's. You have a 300 I believe. A 200gr solid into the brain would work very nicely. As long as the bullet hit's the brain, ala shot placement.

Miss the brain with the 300 or (insert cartridge) and you will need a follow up.

Arcus Venator
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, AceBall, achlupsa, 11 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,972
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.