Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by okok
"It is a birth defect with which this country was born out of slavery; we're never really going to be race blind,"

Discuss.....

as others have said, no culture on earth is 'race blind'. Always has been that way, probably always will be.
I think for the most part, America has done a darn good job, with regards to how we get along though.

Sam......

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Many, many excellent post made to this point. A recurring theme is that when any given race chooses to see that its members behave in a civil and proper manner, race becomes less of an identifier. Another, which is equally valid, is that as long as it is beneficial to a race to be singled out, that race will be more than happy for that to continue.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably correct but her race sets no example for the rest of us. Never have seen anyone as bad as blacks about racism.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Condi was nice when she kept her trap shut.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've read research that indicated that even in multi-ethnic neighborhoods - where all the little kids play together - eventually - over time - they begin to self-segregate.

Therefore, it would seem to be a rather natural phenomena.

That's not to say picking one's friends is based on things like skin colour, but it does seem natural that people would enjoy hanging around others with the same type of background, the same food choices, the same living arrangements, the same religions etc. etc. etc.

I think it takes generations for people to truly assimilate into larger population groups - and then, only if it's a goal they desire.

Canada and the USA are among the best places on earth for people of different races to get a fair shot at achieving success.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I understand and agree with her statement - although the surrounding context may be helpful - and don't think her words or her intent convey anything negative - not a put-down of the US. Why do so many among us have a hard time listening to a factual analysis with which we may not agree? She is not saying that the US is deficient in some way - she is saying that we are a country of normal human beings conditioned by our past behavior.

Study of her history and utterances shows no tendency whatsoever to play the race card, and certainly no expectation of favored treatment due to her skin color/racial status. She has earned her cred and it is evident.

Not only is she correct, but she is correct on the basis of experiences that many among us never will have. Grew up in a somewhat cultured black family in a hot bed of anti-black racist behavior down south - witnessed enough evil racist behavior to get the picture - went her own way as a brilliant student and academic, earned a challenging Ph.D and has held highly respected roles at at one of the supposedly elite universities.

Beyond her work in two top Cabinet posts in the GWBush administration, she is a well-known expert on foreigh affairs - particulalry Russian history and culture.

Now - for those who don't like her comments, what type of person would you like to have state some views about racism in our society?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to work for a nationwide trucking company. We had 3 black drivers stationed in Salt Lake. 2 were regular guys, well liked and who did a good job. The 3d was a black racist. Some other drivers told me that the 2 regular guys got him in a corner and threatened to take him apart if he didn't shape up because he was jeopardizing their respect in the company.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NASCAR: The ultimate race card

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
humm Ghost, before i hit 'play' i thought she was talking about you. wink grin joking of course

Last edited by eyeball; 11/28/11.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When any given race pisses and moans about how miserable it is to be a citizen of the country most on earth would want to be a citizen of, you can bet their problem lies within them.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
humm Ghost, before i hit 'play' i thought she was talking about you. wink grin joking of course

It's possible. Personally I think she was showing the approximate distance between her two front teeth. laugh

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I do wish she would have run as a republican and prevented the obamabortion

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Not a chance. The right wing of the GOP would have crucified her over "lifestyle choices".

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well, I never heard about that. The dims always said her and W were having a thing, but with the way they lie... I guess they (GOP) did the same to Sarah Palin.

Last edited by eyeball; 11/28/11.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CCCC
I understand and agree with her statement - although the surrounding context may be helpful - and don't think her words or her intent convey anything negative - not a put-down of the US. Why do so many among us have a hard time listening to a factual analysis with which we may not agree?

Because that's ALL we hear 24/7/365 during the politcal season, which is about to meet itself ending and beginning. Why continually harp on the poor hand the blacks were dealt in this country? The blacks born in this latest generation can go to college and land a great job...all without being able to read or write.

She is not saying that the US is deficient in some way - she is saying that we are a country of normal human beings conditioned by our past behavior.

As is every other country on the planet, and we engage in the most encompassing effort to overcome our Pavlovian reaction bar none when compared to other countries.

Study of her history and utterances shows no tendency whatsoever to play the race card, and certainly no expectation of favored treatment due to her skin color/racial status. She has earned her cred and it is evident.

Well, that's shot now, isn't it?

Not only is she correct, but she is correct on the basis of experiences that many among us never will have. Grew up in a somewhat cultured black family in a hot bed of anti-black racist behavior down south - witnessed enough evil racist behavior to get the picture - went her own way as a brilliant student and academic, earned a challenging Ph.D and has held highly respected roles at at one of the supposedly elite universities.

Beyond her work in two top Cabinet posts in the GWBush administration, she is a well-known expert on foreigh affairs - particulalry Russian history and culture.

Now - for those who don't like her comments, what type of person would you like to have state some views about racism in our society?

How about NO person state their views on racism? We've heard it until we're sick of it. It does more harm than good to play the race card; I don't give a [bleep] who plays it. The playing field is so far past level, the blacks who want to succeed need only enter the system and they will be spoon-fed to success. The ones who want to remain in poverty, or run around in gangs shooting one another, and blaming it on "whitey", have dug in so deep in how they live we'd have to turn the playing field 180 degrees and shake them loose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Magnumdood - whether or not you realize it, you just did what you asked "how about" we not do. Most of us do not like to be reminded of things we find uncomfortable.

Although some - I for one - would argue your comments that are "overboard", no sane person would argue against your point about opportunities provided today, nor would they argue what you say about the efforts this country has made toward correction.

Rice did not blow any of her record. She was not arguing any of the above or harping on black issues - nor was she seeking any advantage in position - nor was she bemoaning any particular situation or action - thus was NOT playing the race card. She merely was stating what some people - especially many liberal types - do not want to acknowledge but any thinking person knows - racism is not ever going to completely go away, here or anywhere else.

You just helped verify that.

I see some negatives and many positives in Condi Rice, but certainly not racist speech or behavior.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Magnumdood - whether or not you realize it, you just did what you asked "how about" we not do. Most of us do not like to be reminded of things we find uncomfortable.

No, I was responding to your comments.

Although some - I for one - would argue your comments that are "overboard",

Big surprise there...

...no sane person would argue against your point about opportunities provided today, nor would they argue what you say about the efforts this country has made toward correction.

I know.

Rice did not blow any of her record. She was not arguing any of the above or harping on black issues - nor was she seeking any advantage in position - nor was she bemoaning any particular situation or action - thus was NOT playing the race card. She merely was stating what some people - especially many liberal types - do not want to acknowledge but any thinking person knows - racism is not ever going to completely go away, here or anywhere else.

You just helped verify that.

I see some negatives and many positives in Condi Rice, but certainly not racist speech or behavior.

Playing the race card isn't held to single issues/events. Condi Rice brought the issue to the forefront of the national consciousness more effectively than a football team of Sharptons and Jacksons with an unlimited budget could. She has been a conservative and a highly respected, valuable asset to our country, and she played the race card more effectively than anyone I can think of.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CCCC

funny, I see many negatives, and damn few positives in Condi.

Sam......

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

If you think others race baiting and playing the race card make me uncomfortable, then you are a long way off the mark.

Race baiting and others playing the race card pisses me off. If "uncomfortable" and "pissed off" are equivalent in your understanding of human emotions and behaviors, as I said, you're way off the mark.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doesn't it give many of you pause that somebody who is respected and revered on this site in regards to almost all her beliefs, policies and accomplishments, sees something different from all the whites on this board? Instead of trying to understand it through her eyes, you just choose to suddenly marginalize her as another black whiner playing the race card?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 920 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,919
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.