Print Thread
Hop To
Page 823 of 1,842 1 2 821 822 823 824 825 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I think he's on his way up this morning.

Which works great for me because the gate will be open and the wood stove will be a cracklin by the time I get out there tonight grin

That is pretty nice ain't it?

I see now why you get there when you do. grin

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like last week too. Nice and warm when you get there Dave? I saw 4 deer come out last night as i was sitting in the stand, 350 yrds away though. couldn't get them any closer. R u coming up again Tom? I think its les' weekend to drive.

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice pictures of the deer camp. Looks like you guys have a good set up and have alot of fun there at camp.

NEVER GIVE UP
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Keep that island....maybe a rooster will land in it. laugh

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Buschy,

No, i'm not making it up this weekend. We have work parties and family schtuff here this weekend.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Buschy,

No, i'm not making it up this weekend. We have work parties and family schtuff here this weekend.

AKA Momma's puttin her foot down after two months in the da woods!

laugh

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No, we have her work Christmas party and it's at the best place I've ever eaten at. EVER. Food is fantastic. German joint, Gasthof Zur Gemutlichkeit (pronounce that 3 times fast)

I have no problem skipping a weekend of muzzy loader season for that.

And we have stuff at my sister's place on Sunday. I haven't seen my neice's for a while so I want to go anyway.

She don't put her foot down for huting...no need. It only lasts for a few months. She's pretty cool about that. Hell, I take the kids if they want to go

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I think he's on his way up this morning.

Which works great for me because the gate will be open and the wood stove will be a cracklin by the time I get out there tonight grin

And with any luck there will be a dead timber goat hanging from the fuzzy wind chime pole when I get there.

I will look really hard for that charger cord when i get out there tonight.

Is it just a cord or the whole charger?

It is just the cord. Which I don't understand, I always put the charger and cord back in my case when charging is done. Unless I charged it at the shack that weekend I was losing everything. laugh

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Gasthof Zur Gemutlichkeit

Translation: We give you gas.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Griz, love the pics of your camp!...I gotta look into that Pug, never heard of such a thing, but I think we need one!

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think rws used the cord last weekend for hanging squirrels on the pole at camp to get some noise made for the chimes! it still may be blowing in the wind up there today!

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill

Maybe...The meats are unbelievably good. They brew their own beer, the place is just great. It is where I bring guests when they come to town. It is my favorite place to eat since my Grandma died years ago. (Nobody beats Grandma's cooking)

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill

Maybe...The meats are unbelievably good. They brew their own beer, the place is just great. It is where I bring guests when they come to town. It is my favorite place to eat since my Grandma died years ago. (Nobody beats Grandma's cooking)

Sounds good!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Bambi's Mother met an untimely death today in Pa. No calling hours will be observed.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Here is Rooster Jim's muzzle loader buck. He asked me to put him on here for him. I finally remembered to send them to my other e-mail address.

I'll let him give you all the details, but it's a 15pt. Congrats again Rooster.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wow! heck of a buck! way to go rooster!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
smile Tzone started another thread on this that I replied to so I'm going to be lazy and copy the story here. Thanks guys.

First, let me say a big thank you to Tom (Tzone) for posting the pics for me. I still haven't figured out how to do that. Probably because I don't ever do anything interesting enough to take pictures of.

Second, let me say thank you to all for the kind comments!

Here is the story and some details. I will try to keep it short:

The zone I'm in is "Hunters Choice" this year. Meaning you can shoot a doe or a buck but then you're done. One deer limit. This is a good thing because the deer population is WAY down. More on that later.

I have been bowhunting every chance I get since the opener in September on some river bottom/farm land of my Uncle's without too much luck. Pretty much all I have seen within range is does and fawns and the one time I did have a shooter buck coming on a string toward me, a bigger buck appeared out of nowhere and chased him across the river and out of sight. SO, on the eve of the MN muzzleloader season, I decided to go buy a tag.

I planned on hunting the same land. Afterall, river bottom bordered by farmland is where the deer must be right? I got up saturday morning and just had a feeling that I should go sit in a rock pile just a couple hundred yards north of my house. I live on 6 acres that is bordered by 80 acres of CRP grass. On the east side of the CRP field is a cut cornfield. I sprayed down real good with DDW and went and sat on the rock pile a good 1/2 hour before first light and second guessed myself the whole time. Mainly due to the strong NW winds that were blowing my scent over the majority of the CRP field. First light came and I sat still in the grass with my back against the rocks. 1/2 hour went by and I didn't see anything so I decided to walk up and sit by the one big lone tree that borders the CRP and the cornfield. As I reached the tree, I spotted a deer feeding with its head down facing away from me in the corn field about 150 yards away. It was to SE of me and the wind was from the NW. I had a hunch it was a doe so I decided to sneak closer on the edge of the 2 fields basically to see how close I could get. As I was doing this, I happened to spot the silouette of a deer head and ears in the tall grass of the CRP field and I was pretty sure I seen antlers. I quickly ducked back in the CRP and hunkered down watching the doe who was looking back in my direction now. After what seemed like 10 minutes she put her head back down and started feeding again. This told me that her boyfriend must still be up ahead. I belly crawled through the tall grass and thistle until I got to where I figured I could get a shot if the deer was still there. I slowly raised up and peeked over the grass and sure enought there was a buck and two more does. To be honest I don't think I even aimed down the sight when I shot. The buck and does leaped forward and I hit the dirt, fumbling for my reloads, tools and primers. I finally got it reloaded and slowly stood up. HE WAS STILL THERE! This time I settled the sights on his front shoulder, took a deep breath and released the smoke. He lunged, spun a circle and disappeared. The does stood looking around for about 5 minutes before they wandered off into the sea of chest high grass. I reloaded again and crept up to where they were and found my buck laying 20 feet in from the edge of the cut cornfield. I let out a woop, said a prayer of thanks and called my wife to tell her to bring the truck. It was a GREAT morning that I will never forget!

Main frame 10 point with 5 kickers/stickers. 18" inside spread.

Shot at 60 yards with a CVA Optima .50 cal Muzzleloader. 295 gr. Powerbelt hollow point bullets. 100 grains of Triple 7 pellets.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
wow! heck of a buck! way to go rooster!

Thanks Ryan! I was pretty stoked!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Great buck and great story.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks Tjay!

Page 823 of 1,842 1 2 821 822 823 824 825 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 40 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,761
Posts18,476,523
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.