Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for a recommendation.
Walking staff for my lady and I, day treks based out of a pickup so compactness not critical. Riverbottoms and rolling hills walking, bit of hiking very little climbing, moderate weather no snow. Sturdiness a must.
Thanks

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The aluminum Black Diamond adjustable cam lock model with a polymer shock absorber has a great grip and is tough but costs about $100 for a pair. It is my choice today.

That said, the Walmart aluminum Swiss Army $20 poles I had held up well. They had a twist lock and spring shock system. The grip has a small compass in it that was marginal, but they were a bargain. I gave my set to a guy that spent two weeks hiking with me on a backpack stone sheep hunt last August. He really liked them, as did I.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
whats the beginners guide to carbon vs aluminum anti-shok vs standard....

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Beginner's Guide: I'll give it a shot.

Pole Materials: There's high strength aluminum 7000 series; lower strength (cheaper/heavier) 6000 series aluminum; and carbon fiber (expensive and a little easier to damage but very light). Carbon fiber is not as resistant to getting banged around as aluminum.

Right now 7000 series aluminum is the sweet spot as it has been used a long time in high end poles, it's very strong, light and durable. The cost is usually quite a bit less than carbon fiber of comparable intended use and quality. As carbon fiber becomes more common, the price is dropping. For occasional use, the 6000 series stuff on lower end poles works just fine and is less expensive.

Adjustability: On adjustable poles there are basically camlocks like on Black Diamond (Flicklocks) or the older style twist locks. Twist locks supposedly will hold more weight before slipping. I've found camlocks to hold extremely well and they are much easier to adjust and lock. My experience is that it is much fussier to lock a twist lock and you are more likely to have a recently adjusted twist lock slip. The market seems to be rapidly moving to camlocks. I think they are a better mousetrap.

Non-adjustable poles: Recently, the non-adjustable BlackDiamond poles have been highly reviewed. Until you know what length works best for you though, I'd stay away from non-adjustable poles to start out. Also, I very much like different lengths for long climbs or descents.

Antishock: Costs more for anti-shock but not much more. Seems to be a matter of personal preference. I haven't found the antishock to be that big of a deal for me. I don't use use my poles as aggressively as some.

Weight and swing weight: This is a big deal to me. Lighter poles are more comfortable over distance. Lighter usually means more expensive. Swing weight is really talking about center of gravity and swinging the poles. Weight concentrated lower down on poles means the pole takes more energy to swing forward. This can be a bigger difference than one pole being heavier than another. Low swing weights are preferable. Don't trust tags or specs, try the pole out set at your preferred usual length.

Value: Makers often put the same pole at different price points by varying the grips. You can buy a very good pole with cheaper grips for less money.

Leki and Black Diamond both are top makers with a range of products from pretty cheap to damned expensive. My next pair will be Black Diamond if I buy them but if my wife gifts me Lekis I won't think twice about using them until they die.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anti-Shok's are a gimmick extraordinaire.

Easton, Black Diamond, Komperdell, Leki... they all make good trekking poles... REI brand is good too.

Me, I use a Komperdell cane... love it.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Get a pair of fiberglass cross country ski poles for around $20.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Has anybody had any experience with the Black Diamond "Z" type poles?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just my opinion, but, if hunting and have a decent way to secure my gun, I like trekking poles. If not, its hard to beat a walking stick or staff. I have Black Diamond trekking poles and a Bog Pod shooting stick/walking stick. I like them both. In really steep ascents and descents it is hard to beat trekking poles unless...the gun gets in the way. If I'm hunting relative flat ground, regardless of how I'm carrying my rifle, the walking stick is my preference.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've been using the Black Diamond Z poles for the last 6 months and have been very happy.

Pro's

Very lightweight and compact

Durability is great for the weight

Price point isn't to bad for what you get

Con's

No adjustability in height, so make sure you get the correct height when purchasing.

They can be problematic when used to set up a tarp since they have 0 adjustment in height.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I second Aron's take on the Z-poles. I don't love that the little pop-out button bears weight, but haven't heard of problems with it. I'm slowly becoming a fixed length fan myself; my current favorite is the Komperdell Approach Carbon. Komperdell is coming out with a slightly adjustable version (115-130cm) called the Vario sometime soon. If price is an object, almost any decent aluminum 2-section from the brands Brad mentioned would work for $60-$80.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
FWIW we are working on having our shelter poles convert into a hiking staff. I've been testing it for awhile, and have a bit of refinement to do, but it becomes an extremely strong fully adjustable carbon hiking staff weighing 6 ounces or so.

Basically, trying to work on getting a snow basket attached. At some point this will become a shelter option.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Anti-Shok's are a gimmick extraordinaire.

Easton, Black Diamond, Komperdell, Leki... they all make good trekking poles... REI brand is good too.

Me, I use a Komperdell cane... love it.
Couldn't agree more, i'd stay away from the anti-shok poles. I like and use Lekis but all of the above are good trekkers.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aluminum might be more resistant to damage, but it's a whole lot noisier when you whack it against a rock. It's like screaming 'HERE I AM!!'

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I went with the BD Contour Elliptic trekking poles many years ago and have zero issues with them. The FlickLock work great with glove and the elliptical shape adds strength to the poles while packing heavy loads. Included with the poles are both the trekking baskets and snow baskets.

BD Contour Elliptic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I also use the BD Contour Elliptic trekking poles for hunting, backpacking and backcountry skiing. In addition I have used them as poles for my tarp. They have worked flawlessly in all scenarios.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I like and always have at least one trekking pole with me anytime I hit the mountains for a day.
But for local walks, workout hikes, etc. I use a very simple, cheap staff. It's a white ash replacement tool handle for a garden hoe or rake. Had it so long, I can't remember what I paid for it. At five feet in lenth, it's plenty long enough to push aside any pesky snakes I meet or any rocks I need help getting over, etc. One of those constant companions. E

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Here is our center pole, that adapts to be a hiking staff

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aluminum is louder than carbon went whacked against a rock. However, when on the stalk the poles go away regardless!!!

Z poles are nice and light but since I use my poles also to be a center pole I'll keep the adjustable trekking poles rather than haul a center pole along and the weight savings is more anyways.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like old school.

if the flick locks don't have as high a degree of strength to them it prohibits me from considering them.

I like to hike with a pole regardless. but where they really earn their keep and make it worthwhile is packing out extremely heavy loads. it can make the difference between buggered up and healthy.

also want adjustable, very adjustable, I try to avoid alders, but sometimes they can't be avoided. So the hiking pole gets shrunk down and goes in the pack, so my hands are free to move around as I cuss, it gives style points to the cussing ime.

twist lock, sans anti shock, but have found i prefer a cork grip to the plastic grips.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the plane Jane BD flip locks. Work good and are tough.

Mine started life as the anti-shock but I couldn't stand it. You can take it out buy punching out the pins and removing the guts. So if you find some with the anti shock for cheap grab them up.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,441
Posts18,470,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.