Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Are the new Burris E1s pretty much the exact same size as the old ones? To me the 2x7 looks a little funny and I was wondering if the new one changed that a bit.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ya only thing is they are 42mm. I like 40mm scopes, like my scopes as close to bore as can be, just somethin seems right about it. Huntin with those big 50mm looks funny to me...later

G
guy57 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Mounted the new FFII EI today. First,this was not a scientific test just a deer hunter looking through some scopes to compare. So keep in mind this is only a sample of one, and only my opinion. I took out a 3x9x40 4200, a 1.5x6x36 4200, a 1.5x6x36 4200 with firefly ret., and a 6x42 monarch. All scopes were set on six power. As far as gathering lite or how late one could see to shoot the nod goes to the 3x9x40 4200 by a very slight margin. The rest (includeing the Burris) were so close i can't honestly say i could see a difference. It was cloudy and dreary today but in midday light the Burris looked as bright, sharp and clear as all the rest. The not so good. As light faded the reticle in the Burris which i think is a bit to thin seemed to fade away and be harder to see sooner than the rest. The balistic plex dots became useless quite early. I was useing yellow grass, willow brush, and pine trees as a background. The reticle in the 1.5x6x36 4200 with the firefly ret. could be seen to shoot far later than all the rest. When i didn't think i could see a deer with my naked eye i could still see to shoot with the firefly (not charged) Reticle, however it is a very heavy d-plex reticle. The Burris seems to be a good scope in the daytime and seems to gather lite pretty well,but i think the reticle is a weak point. When i say the reticle was going away it was probably after legal shooting time and just about to dark to see a deer with the naked eye. I wouldn't say the reticle is a deal breaker, just could be better. All in all i like the scope so far. When i get to shoot it i'll have a better opinion of the reticle. Until then thats my .02 worth.

Guy

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks for the write up--it is very helpful.

I'm thinking of using one for daytime varmint shooting--it sounds like it ought to work for that pretty well.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by guy57
Mounted the new FFII EI today. First,this was not a scientific test just a deer hunter looking through some scopes to compare. So keep in mind this is only a sample of one, and only my opinion. I took out a 3x9x40 4200, a 1.5x6x36 4200, a 1.5x6x36 4200 with firefly ret., and a 6x42 monarch. All scopes were set on six power. As far as gathering lite or how late one could see to shoot the nod goes to the 3x9x40 4200 by a very slight margin. The rest (includeing the Burris) were so close i can't honestly say i could see a difference. It was cloudy and dreary today but in midday light the Burris looked as bright, sharp and clear as all the rest. The not so good. As light faded the reticle in the Burris which i think is a bit to thin seemed to fade away and be harder to see sooner than the rest. The balistic plex dots became useless quite early. I was useing yellow grass, willow brush, and pine trees as a background. The reticle in the 1.5x6x36 4200 with the firefly ret. could be seen to shoot far later than all the rest. When i didn't think i could see a deer with my naked eye i could still see to shoot with the firefly (not charged) Reticle, however it is a very heavy d-plex reticle. The Burris seems to be a good scope in the daytime and seems to gather lite pretty well,but i think the reticle is a weak point. When i say the reticle was going away it was probably after legal shooting time and just about to dark to see a deer with the naked eye. I wouldn't say the reticle is a deal breaker, just could be better. All in all i like the scope so far. When i get to shoot it i'll have a better opinion of the reticle. Until then thats my .02 worth.

Guy

I got a 3-9x40 E1 with standard plex reticle and I find it stays as prominent as any other reticle. The glass is bright and the power ring is nice vs the old turning of the entire bell. The down side to this scope are the mushy click adjustments.

Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth.
IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RedBeard308
I got a 3-9x40 E1 with standard plex reticle and I find it stays as prominent as any other reticle. ...

I though the E1 only came with one reticle, the Ballistic Plex E1?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Cabelas sells the regular plex.

Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RedBeard308
Cabelas sells the regular plex.

Thx. Learn something new everyday.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I recieved a 4.5x14 yesterday and was impressed so far. The reticle could be a little bit larger (extend closer to the edges of FOV) but it should work great for long range shooting. The complaints about "mushy" adjustments are valid and clicks were barely audible, but on a bushnell boresighter it hold POI through all powers and AO settings so that was a plus. Also the adjustments, though mushy, were accurate. The phillipine sticker kind of put a bad taste in my mouth, but for the price it looks like a dandy scope. It is going on my 30-378 so I will report back as to recoil sensitivity. I may even take the brake off for a couple of shots to really test it....or maybe not. smirk T.S.

Last edited by Bowman44; 01/27/12.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,518
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.