Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
dp just published today a review of the mirroless cameras
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8986630048/mirrorless-roundup-2011

GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Doug. They're really getting serious about mirror-less, now.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have had no idea what this 4/5th stuff was. From the looks of the stuff on thast link above it not much more than a point and shoot with changeable lens? For me the best P&S I've used was one with a view finder. My presaent Nikon L24 doesn't have one. It does take nice photos but hard for me to frame them right. It doesn't have aperature pri, shutter pir and manual controls either. One thing I found with my Nikon is if I want the best photo I can get, put it away and get out a DSLR. I have seen some P&S cameras that do have a lot better controls on them. I gave my Cannon I5IS, think that is waht it is, to my grancson because it wouldn't fit in my bird vest. That was a mistake! My next P&S, soon as I can afford one will have the controls and fixed lens and some kind of belt pack I can carry it in. If I'm out hunting I don't want to give up the long zoom and carry extra lens with me.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for that new review... will check it out...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DonFischer
I have had no idea what this 4/5th stuff was. From the looks of the stuff on thast link above it not much more than a point and shoot with changeable lens? For me the best P&S I've used was one with a view finder. My presaent Nikon L24 doesn't have one. It does take nice photos but hard for me to frame them right. It doesn't have aperature pri, shutter pir and manual controls either. One thing I found with my Nikon is if I want the best photo I can get, put it away and get out a DSLR. I have seen some P&S cameras that do have a lot better controls on them. I gave my Cannon I5IS, think that is waht it is, to my grancson because it wouldn't fit in my bird vest. That was a mistake! My next P&S, soon as I can afford one will have the controls and fixed lens and some kind of belt pack I can carry it in. If I'm out hunting I don't want to give up the long zoom and carry extra lens with me.

You are right about them being nothing more than a point and shoot, but a higher end one. That is really what I am looking for since I sold off all my Canon gear. I use to the 5D MkII with L lenses and Zeiss lenses but found I didn't use them enough to warrant having thousands and thousands tied up...so off they went. I am just in need of a camera that will take decent photos of family/friends and some travelling.

Eventually Canon will steal some more of my money and I will get back into the DSLR thing. But for now the Sony Nex 5N will hold me over for the purpose I intend to use it. Not a replacement for a DSLR and I won't get the quality I am use to out of it either but it will do for now.

Rob
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Rob,
You may find that the mirrorless is so convenient and the quality so high, you may not want to carry a big DSLR again! Because of their ability to use so many lenses, they are so versatile. I have been adapting my Tamrons to the Pens and now that Tamron is in "the game" with the Sony mounts, my 50+ year old body is digging the light weight systems. I think that FF mirrorless and much higher megapixel sensors are coming soon too. I am glad that folks like Camera Land are getting in at the breaking edge!

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I wonder when Olympus will put out the successor to the E-P3 with a much improved/higher megapixel sensor? That seems to be the only knock on the E-P3 from what I have put together across numerous sources.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am sure at some point they will. I have been very pleased with the sensor though. I have made some pretty big prints from it (30x40) without any problems.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
One nice thing about the 4/3's is that there are a number of lens adapters available that allow mounting SLR and rangefinder lenses (like the excellent Leica M series) lenses. That gives you access to very fast prime lenses and lets you use the 4/3 alongside your film or digital SLR's.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Saw an E-P1 at Best Buy today and was impressed at how small it is, compared to my Olympus OM1 (LOL). No E-P3 in stock to hold and fondle....

IC B3

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I am going to pass on the multi-lens cameras... just more SWaP than I want to hassle with... am going to go with a high-end enthusiast compact point and shoot, able to shoot RAW, with as fast a lens as I can get and as much optical zoom as I can get. Looking at the Olympus XZ-1 at the moment...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you may find the 112 mm to be too short for wildlife.
If not dslr or mirrorless, and needing the reach for wildlife, I would consider a superzoom like the Panasonic FZ or Canon SX40, or the more compact Canon SX230.

But then for wildlife you may want/need a tripod, and thus the compact factor is negated, so go dslr wink

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Hmmm... the Nikon P7100 can get me out to 200mm...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
200mm is still stretching it for wildlife...to get good wildlife photos like others do on here you need to goto a DSLR with the lenses that will reach out there....but thats expensive, hence why I sold off all my gear.

I did pick up a Sony Nex 5N couple days ago and love it so far....its no wildlife camera

Rob
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yep, it is all about compromises... i just don't want to be hauling a DSLR around when hunting or backpacking... So trying to sort out what gets me closest to it while being uber convenient...

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Have you considered the Fuji SH20 superzoom. Doug sold me on that model at a great price.

24-720mm manual zoom lens, raw capability, 16 megapixel cmos sensor, TTL hotshoe, and HD video capability

I just wish that I had the skills to really make use of the camera's capabilities.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Nope, but thanks for the tip!... I am looking at the Fuji cameras on dpreview.com as I type...

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you're going to be spending alot of time shooting with long telephotos--or long zooms--a tripod or monopod will become your best friend.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I am digging the fact that the Fuji Finepix HS20 EXR uses AA batteries... i consider that a real advantage when you are out in the boonies and away from recharging power...

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
OK, I am now looking at lightweight DSLRs... what do you guys think about the Olympus E-450?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 33 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.