Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I once had the opinion that hunting out west was like shopping because of a few hunter I met from Colorado and Cal., WA, Idaho that lived here in North Carolina because of work. I got the chance to hunt out west when I lived in Washington state, boy were they full of !!!!. There are stupid people every where.

magnums the only way to shoot
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
jmt277, hunting like shopping? What do you mean, how was it different than you thought? Vern.

Bo-ton-ton wanasa hehlogeca. (I have no recipe for horn)
In the woods, You return to reason and faith!
Nobody at home listens to me until I fart.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I meant that the hunters I mentioned told me that they just drove around or rode horses looking for deer, and elk. Then when they saw one they just shot it. I guess they done a lot of road hunting. I soon learned different when I was in Washington state. The deer and elk were hard to find and I had to do a lot of walking. Also trying to stalk a elk to get a good shot is not that easy. The mule deer where a little easier than the elk but there was a lot of stalking. I found that you have to be in good physical shape to hunt like this for several days. Also I had never camped out for 7 days either. It was the most fun I have ever had hunting even though we did not take a elk or mule deer. I hope to get to go back. I learned that you can't label hunters in one area by a few idots that don't know what hunting really is. I mainly was directing my previous post to HSBW for his comments on people here in North Carolina. I was just letting him know that all hunters are not like that here and there have been some encounters with uneducated hunters from othewrs states as well. A person just has to get out there and find out what is real.

Last edited by jmt277; 10/11/05.

magnums the only way to shoot
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I've never had the chance to hunt mule deer. But that's my own fault. It's darn near impossible to pry me out of Pa. to hunt. Here, the state game commission provides (thru hunting license sales) vast areas to hunt. Example: they pay (in leiu of taxes) $1.60 per acre per year. This years bill was in the neighborgood of $3.5 million. Add to that, the Allegheny National Forest. I don't know the acreage to it. There is public land to hunt in all 67 counties except Philadelphia County.

Lot's of private land is open too. What's going on now is private clubs leasing large tracts of land and posting it against public use. With all this, people bitch that a hunting license is too expensive at $20 a year. Non-resident, I believe, is $126.

Still hunting is the best way to hunt white tails in my opinion. You can sit on post if you like, but you better know the terrain. I never was too big on driving deer. Always seemed to me like a good way to get shot by your own crew. (Most places the woods are really thick) Also, my favorite place to hunt changes elevation about 350 feet in a mile and a half.

Best of luck to all in the up coming season!!!

There is room for all of God's creatures - right beside the mashed potatoes
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hey Foggy Bottom, I heard there are some elk in "Penn's woods" also, Is this true? If not, there probably used to be?

Jmt, I agree completely with your sentiments, I have met hunters from out of state that were pretty nice and knowledgeable fellers and others that were absolute idiots, They're everywhere!
Vern.

Bo-ton-ton wanasa hehlogeca. (I have no recipe for horn)
In the woods, You return to reason and faith!
Nobody at home listens to me until I fart.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 3,123 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,965
Posts18,519,560
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.