Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've not shot geese out of the air...

But I shoot a lot of movers in practice. Walking deer are a gimmie.

Its going to take a serious commitment on your part. Its similar to shotgunning in the fact that you can't buy your way in. But its going to take a couple years of dedicated practice before you hook up on anything. When and if it happens for you, its going to make you a very happy man.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Is that an old Herters bow on the bottom of the rack? My dad had quite the collection of Herters bows.....still has one of them.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[quote=MnFn]I have a few. My two favorites now are both longbows - a Pronghorn and a Shrew Classic Hunter.

[Linked Image]

I saw the pic with the black, red and leather bow sleeve and knew it was protecting a "Shrew"
I have one that Gene Wensel owned and have a pic of him with the bow with a dandy 8 point whitetail.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Been hunting with traditional stuff since the '60's. Carried a compound for 1 year in 1980, didn't care for it.

I make most all my equipment and hunt with a bamboo back and belly Maple longbow and an Osage static recurve. They work well as long as I stay within my effective shooting range, usually under 20 yards.

My wife, a couple of pals and myself have been putting on a Traditional Archery Pheasant Shoot for over 20 years, have about 65 folks showing up the past several years. Lots of fun and laughs, not many birds killed. Here's a link if you'd like to read about it. You can click on a tab in left hand corner for additional pictures.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors/86725042.html

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's a good day for something.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
used to do am annual pheasant shoot with the Trad Bowhunters of MD.

A lot of fun to get a group of trad guys together and try wing shooting.

Had a shrew and traded it for a Border Bow. Ron LeClair makes a nice bow

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Nice buck.Rifle loonies would die to shoot a buck like that one
laugh

What heads do you shoot?

Originally Posted by rudyc
Been hunting with traditional stuff since the '60's. Carried a compound for 1 year in 1980, didn't care for it.

I make most all my equipment and hunt with a bamboo back and belly Maple longbow and an Osage static recurve. They work well as long as I stay within my effective shooting range, usually under 20 yards.

My wife, a couple of pals and myself have been putting on a Traditional Archery Pheasant Shoot for over 20 years, have about 65 folks showing up the past several years. Lots of fun and laughs, not many birds killed. Here's a link if you'd like to read about it. You can click on a tab in left hand corner for additional pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rudyc

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shot the moose with 2 blade Journeyman and the deer with the 3 blade Wensel Woodsman. The longbow is 51#'s at 28" and the recurve is 52#'s at 27" I have a pretty big stash of old Forgewood shafts that I use and the total weight of arrow with broadhead is 625-635 grains.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started out with recurves in the 50's and started deer and hog hunting with them in the early 60's. Went to compounds in late 70's and just got back to recurves in 2010.

Bought a Quinn Stallion and killed a buck and doe with it this season on some public land that boarders my place in Southern Illinois (Shawnee National Forest).

I just ordered a new bow this month from Kirk at Big Foot Archery, a 45lb Sasquach recurve T/D at 64". Tried to use materials to get as much speed out of it as possible since I can't pull much weight anymore with all my heart problems and old age. Triple carbon with foam limb core, no veneers (carbon) footed zebrawood riser. Should be about May when completed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Been busy for a few days, sorry I am so late. The bottom bow is a Root bow my Dad bought in 1966 or '67. He was having trouble pulling his 56 Lb recurve due to a bad shoulder, so bought this to hunt deer with. It is right at 40 lbs and I think 66" long.

I shot a season of league competition with it, but never hunted with it. I was the only trad shooter there.

I bought the Shrew directly from Ron Leclair, and it was a great experience just to talk about the Shrew Classic and what wood arrows he recommended for it. Really enjoyed the whole experience.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This 100 grain three blade was shot into a mature northern whitetail at a distance of about 7-8 feet as he ran by me.
[Linked Image]

I have since switched to 160 grain broadheads, mainly Stos, but do have some Wensel heads that I like as well.

Here is shot of my Shrew Classic Hunter's grip. I like it a lot.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

M
M
If you like to do things �old school,� it doesn�t get much better than traditional archery. The bow and arrow have been around for thousands upon thousands of years. This tool has served men as a way of providing food, protection, and recreation since its creation.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Some beautiful bows here. Thanks for all the pictures. Makes me want to get back to shooting arrows again.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Rudy, When I saw your post I kinda figured it was you. Gerry Fiegl here, Good to see you're hangin around

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hi Gerry,
Good to hear from you as well.

PM sent

Last edited by rudyc; 02/12/12.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've been at it a while. Been through a ton of bows. Got a Big Jim T/D Buffalo longbow on the way.

Here's a few pics of it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Burch,
Where did you take the rays? I LOVE bowfishing!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Ed,

We went after the rays in brackish waters of Maryland, while visiting a good friend there.

Mike

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Live about 10 miles from Big Jim.....you will love his bows, they are top notch and shoot like a dream.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I've got a couple of longbows. The one I deer hunt with is a #50 Tomahawk SS. 30" CE Heritage 150's with 175 gr Woodsman Elite or Zwickey Delta.
Just recently acquired my first recurve. Its a Bear Kodiak Mag. #55...Anxious to start working with it.
Ken

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (219 Wasp, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 1minute, 66 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,563
Posts18,473,191
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.