Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by DocRocket
...I underlined the Colonel's words in your above quote to point out something that has been implied but perhaps needs to be made explicit in this discussion: that while the Scout Rifle term or concept was never copyrighted or patented in a generic sense, the Steyr Scout Rifle was a trademarked rifle which I presume Col. Cooper had some stake in the production of, and presumably some share in the profits as well. As such I think latter-day accolytes may in fact be right in stating that he "owns" the term, at least in some limited sense...

...somewhere in the one of the Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books, Jeff addresses that he had no equity position in any Scout Rifle endeavor, received no royalty, finders fee or override on any of them. His concept may have evolved over years starting with his Remington 600 (or 660), however the actual definition, refinement and manifestation was calculated---he held a few "conferences" where shooters he respected attended and they outlined a canonicity per se of what was not a Scout. It was a case of Intelligent Design not evolution. The species may have transmuted, but it hasn't and won't evolve without the suspension of core doctine.

Again, splitting vernacular hairs--quite honestly, I'd opt for the AR10 too.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gmoats

It's a heavy rifle.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

It's a heavy rifle.

Yes, and points like a black and decker drill. Gas gun? FNFAL Para. The COL liked the FAL as well.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Did I say that I like the AR in 6.8 or 6.5?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

Did I say that I like the AR in 6.8 or 6.5?

I THINK SO! Time will tell if they stay together, I'm guessing yes. They don't pass the "Walmart" test yet, so I'll stick with 5.56 and 7.62. You could always just have a second upper of course. The Blackout is also another option.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have 2 extra uppers in 5.56, but I like the 6.8 better. you are correct they are not at Wal Mart

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I have 2 extra uppers in 5.56
Same here. I've got a Colt HBAR upper and a Bushmaster M-4 upper in 5.56. Wouldn't mind getting one in 6.5 mm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

It's a heavy rifle.

Yes, and points like a black and decker drill. Gas gun? FNFAL Para. The COL liked the FAL as well.

One like mine, less scope, 8.61 lbs according to Armalite. DSA doesn't list weight of the folders, but the closest one on their site is 8.35 lbs. Of course, the AR is optics ready right now, and the FAL needs a sizable thingy for a scope mount, extra.

Now drop a 10T upper on a AR10, and yes it's heavy frown

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

It's a heavy rifle.

Jay-zus, are you guys for real?

I mean as in, do you actually shoot the rifles you post about? As in, do you shoot the rifles you post about, with a full load-out? The Steyr Scout is a 7-pound rifle. The DPMS LR308L is a 7.9 pound rifle, and it ain't nearly the lightest 308 caliber AR rifle on the planet. Talk to Paul at BCMS or Mark at LaRue Tactical to talk about truly lightweight 308 AR's.

I've maneuvered both the Steyr Scout and a Brand X lightweight AR rifle on a tactical course, and I'll take the AR rifle 8 days a week. You tell me you can tell the difference between a 7-lb and an 8-lb rifle over the course of 8 hours of fire and maneuver when you're carrying 40+ pounds of gear, and I'll make you eat your boonie hat.

Ne'mind. It's only tha innanet, as our dear departed Bristoe pointed out time and again.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Anyone with a shred of brains would take the AR a supirior weapon

What happened to "Bristoe"

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

What happened to "Bristoe"
He left us for good, I'm afraid.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DocRocket

It's a heavy rifle.

Jay-zus, are you guys for real?

I mean as in, do you actually shoot the rifles you post about? As in, do you shoot the rifles you post about, with a full load-out? The Steyr Scout is a 7-pound rifle. The DPMS LR308L is a 7.9 pound rifle, and it ain't nearly the lightest 308 caliber AR rifle on the planet. Talk to Paul at BCMS or Mark at LaRue Tactical to talk about truly lightweight 308 AR's.

I've maneuvered both the Steyr Scout and a Brand X lightweight AR rifle on a tactical course, and I'll take the AR rifle 8 days a week. You tell me you can tell the difference between a 7-lb and an 8-lb rifle over the course of 8 hours of fire and maneuver when you're carrying 40+ pounds of gear, and I'll make you eat your boonie hat.

Ne'mind. It's only tha innanet, as our dear departed Bristoe pointed out time and again.

Just weighed my Scout. 7# 6oz all up with cleaning gear inside the stock, 2.5X Leupy (with heavy steel Leupy rings), both mags and a leopard light mount sans light. You show me any 0.473 bolt face AR that comes close and I'll kiss your a$$ in Macy's front window at high noon and give you all morning to draw a crowd.

The DPMS you listed doesn't make weight, they also don't shoot for schit. Also, no AR will every point like an English double gun, as does the Scout.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Added thought on the DPMS 308 guns, the only one that is in the same class accuracy-wise is the SASS, try shooting some offhand drills with that pig. Even the 5.56 SASS's are too heavy for a gen-purpose rifle.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You show me any 0.473 bolt face AR that comes close and I'll kiss your a$$ in Macy's front window at high noon and give you all morning to draw a crowd.

grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Remington has the perfect round for the AR Scout , the 30 AR. I'm waiting for Stag to offer a left hand bolt for the 30 AR

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Now, Doc, why do we need to be burdend with 40 lbs. of gear ? It wouldn't be all of those loaded magazines you guys insist on for your spray and pray tactics would it ?
Yeah, I know. No army in the world uses Scout Rifles. So whose talking about equiping an army ? Or rifle squad ? What ever happend to the lone rifleman on his own a long way from home ? What ever happend to idea of single hits, firing once, and moving ?
How about making the other guy fight under circumstances where you, with, say a Scout Rifle, have the advantage ?
I find it fascinating that the US Marine Corps teaches their sniper scouts how to use and when to use their heavy sniper rifles in close quarter combat. Seems that they can be useful, but not ideal. Of course, when it comes to engaging targets way out there, the heavy sniper rifle has no peer.
My point is that the Scout Rifle is not an ideal close quarter weapon for rifle squads. Neither is it a dedicated long range sniper rifle for that work. But it does pretty well in either situation. E

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would like to point out in this shoot out Platt shot 42 times which would average about 5 shots per agent. Not trying to tax my brain too much on counting hits on agents, but his hit rate was at least 20% after a lethal hit. I don't count that as spray and pray!

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting on "lightweight LaRue's" next time they have a range day I'll have to swing up to see them.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That would be very cool. Any idea when they're next having a range day? I have pretty much decided my next AR is gonna be a LaRue lightweight. Haven't decided on caliber yet, though.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just got the latest issue of Dillon's Blue Press. They have an article on the Ruger M77 Scout Rifle. Pretty nice little gun. Anybody have one yet?

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.