Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
... I could be wrong but would find it hard to beleive the kimber stock is built as well as Melvins is even though he had a hand in its development.

I think he's denied that.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Penguin
Originally Posted by Greenback
I have heard about Kimbers rusting a lot on this forum, and I cant figure out why their stainless would rust faster than other manufacturers. Maybe low quality steel or the finishing process they use, I don't know. It sounds like most think the forbes rifle will be good one.

Joel

A lot of times when you hear of modern stainless rusting what is happening is residue on the beads from previous blasting of standard CM steel is being embedded into the stainless. Harmless but it can be confusing and cause a blood pressure spike.

Don't know whether Kimber changed shop procedures or what but my Montana has never shown any discoloration at all and it has been hunted in snow and rain and mud.

Will

That could be the case. I always assumed it was the bead blasting that gave the rust plenty of traction to grow and prosper. (grin) My smooth barreled Liljas fend rust the best.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think this may be the future in gun finishes. Industrial concerns have apparently been using it for a while:

http://www.burlingtoneng.com/melonite.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin

My smooth barreled Liljas fend rust the best.

So that's why... Krylon didn't stick very well...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
News to me about the new Forbes Rifle. I just acquired a Colt Light Rifle in 270 as a donor, and sent it off to Melvin to transform it into a semi-custom Nula in 7x57 with new stock barrel and trigger. I am anxious to see the results.

I also have purchased two Kimber Montanas in the last couple of years and like them both. One is in 257 Roberts and the other is in 300 WSM. I will have to compare everything when I get the Forbes CLR back.

Bulldog Barrels has been around a few years. My good friend worked in their marketing department.

donsm70

Last edited by donsm70; 12/06/11.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by skilakjim

I will second the motion that a Kimber Montana will rust even before rain has been forcast.

haha, that's one way of putting it!

More internet fantasy? Will Calvin and skilakjim explain in more detail and show us their rusty ss Kimbers? I would really like to document this as its important to show the shortcomings of a brand so as to allow the consumer to make a more educated choice. Please explain the weather conditions that caused the rusting and what you did to minimize or mitigate it from occurring.
I am particularly interested as two guides I know in Alaska use Montanas and I would like to warn them of their fate before something bad happens.

The dwarf from the north provides pixels of his own montanas rusted all the time.A road hunting minnesota wonder could probably turn the defrost up a notch and void those worries though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still don't understand why guys don't just slap some DGS or Cerakote, or something on their rifles and stop worrying about rust, corrosion, etc, altogether...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Short of full on salt water,I've yet to see blued steel not get by nicely with a good coat of Flitz etc.The wood stock is a bigger culprit then the type of steel.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Agree with Bauer.

Anyone know what kind of SS Kimber uses on barrels and actions? Bet it isn't 416,more likely 410, but am not sure.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Most stainless barrels are made out of 416 stainless. 416 will take a heat treat its low rc. To get full stainless prop. it needs to be hrat treated. I am sure barrel companys dont do this. I have used hart for many years and carry a rifle everyday all of them rust. I dont mind because they dont shine. I clean the hole every friday. wd-40 folowed by oil dont hurt either!

Last edited by rickmenefee; 12/07/11.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I still don't understand why guys don't just slap some DGS or Cerakote, or something on their rifles and stop worrying about rust, corrosion, etc, altogether...

+1. I'm thinking up cool Cerakote color patterns for my Montuckys...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well I can see if the Kimbers exposed to some salt air get in "trouble". But the two I know up in Wasilla and Palmer hunt further inland so they wouldn't have that environment. Also realize that ss isn't rustproof, only rust resistant.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
IME, they are certainly more prone to rust than any other stainless rifle I've used, save an A-bolt. Granted, this has been exposed to salt air, but it ain't like I threw it overboard or anything.

Not a big deal, just scrub it off, eezox the exterior, and keep on rockin'.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I'm thinking a trip to eddief's shop with a coating of cerakote in satin grey or titanium color might look pretty cool too.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I went with black on mine. (sold to Jordan) The Monta Rican..

Before
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That looks real nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cleaned up good. The stains don't advance to pitting type rust, do they?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This Kimber was fine until I took it on a hunting trip to Kodiak, even though it was oiled well. It never had any rust issues in inland AK.

I do think the spots are bits of chrome-moly from the bead blasting. It cleaned up fine and hasn't rusted since. The worst it's seen though, since Kodiak is HI. I'll be interested to see what happens the next time it gets closer to salt water (if it ever does).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I can't believe you sold that thing Calvin. That was a slick looking rifle with black metal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After-after grin :

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (8MMX57JS, Akhutr, ak_Rick, 7 invisible), 906 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,103
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.