M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by Mossy
I just looked up the Hankook Dyna Pro ATM RF10. Looks like a good tread pattern, but the load rating is way too low.

Huh?

Size for size,the Hankooks have the same weight capacity as any other tire. The Hankooks on my 2500HD are rated for almost 3800lbs per tire.

What size tire?

275/70/18 3640lbs per tire.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

The Hankook MTs I looked at have a max load of ~3400 in the size I want. The ATM RF10s show less than 3000.

Being a 2000 GMC you have 16" wheels stock. With a tire capacity of 3400lbs,I'm guessing you're talking about 265/75/16s

In that size,the ATMS and the MTs have the same 3415lb rating.

Well I found a sight that agrees with your Max Load rating, so that is good.

The tires that came on the pick-up origianlly were 245/75R16s and I have since put on 265/75R16. I wish I could go taller, but that would require a lift of some kind.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All my time in my 4X4 truck is for hunting/fishing, and getting there and back. I have tried most major brands over the years and have not found any better than the Michelin LTX M/S 2 10 ply. These came on the truck when it was new and I could go anywhere with them. They were like magic in all conditions.

Michelin tires are not cheap, but they come with a road hazard guarantee and I never needed it. They were unbelievable in snow. After 44,000 miles, I put on new Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires on and in another 45,000 miles I will tell you how good they were...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
BFG Commercial Traction TA. I've got a set on my 97 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4. I really like this tire so far.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
shrapnel

How did those tires do in the mud and rainy paved roads? Did you carry any significant loads with them and if so how did they handle it?

Thanks.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel
All my time in my 4X4 truck is for hunting/fishing, and getting there and back. I have tried most major brands over the years and have not found any better than the Michelin LTX M/S 2 10 ply. These came on the truck when it was new and I could go anywhere with them. They were like magic in all conditions.

The HD Rams didn't come with Michelin's LTX MS/2. They're Michelin's LTX A/S,I had a set on my '07 Ram 3500 SRW. The same tire came on my dad's '07 Ram as well. They were easily the worst tire we've ever had on a pickup.

You're the first person I've ever heard that liked the OEM Michelins. The Dodge diesel forums are filled with people that either hated the tires,or had issues with dry rot within a year or two.

The LTX MS/2 is Michelin's latest aftermarket tire and is an entirely different animal than the POS LTX A/S. Same with the LTX AT/2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I use the same tires. I do long trips carrying a 4400 lb. camper and tow a 3000 lb. plus Jeep. Really outstasnding performance on wet, icy and snow covered pavement. Bought another set for my 3/4 ton Dodge this summer. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
shrapnel

How did those tires do in the mud and rainy paved roads? Did you carry any significant loads with them and if so how did they handle it?

Thanks.

The HD Rams didn't come with Michelin's LTX MS/2. They're Michelin's LTX A/S,I had a set on my '07 Ram 3500 SRW. The same tire came on my dad's '07 Ram as well. They were easily the worst tire we've ever had on a pickup.

You're the first person I've ever heard that liked the OEM Michelins. The Dodge diesel forums are filled with people that either hated the tires,or had issues with dry rot within a year or two.

The LTX MS/2 is Michelin's latest aftermarket tire and is an entirely different animal than the POS LTX A/S. Same with the LTX AT/2

Don't listen to the man behind the curtain!

Those Michelin tires were great in all conditions here in Montana, people north of Seattle only need Subarus and General tires. I went places with those tires and the Dodge truck, that I could never have gone in any 3 of my previous GM trucks with Toyo, Hankook, or Geolandars that I tried on those trucks. If you look at the picture, you can see that they aren't an aggressive tread, but they were amazing in all those conditions. I got the LTX MS/2 tires as they looked like they were more aggressive and I am hoping for even better performance.

I don't buy tires from hearsay on the internet. All the other tires I tried work well, but not as good as the Michelins that the Dodge forum (probably located in Van Nuys California) supposedly dislikes.

Don't let a clean truck fool you, this truck has been used for hunting and I want to be able to get where I am going and with those Michelins, that combination performed the best I have witnessed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Click this picture for a video crossing a swollen creek...

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel
shrapnel

Thanks.

Don't listen to the man behind the curtain!

Those Michelin tires were great in all conditions here in Montana, people north of Seattle only need Subarus and General tires. I went places with those tires and the Dodge truck, that I could never have gone in any 3 of my previous GM trucks with Toyo, Hankook, or Geolandars that I tried on those trucks. If you look at the picture, you can see that they aren't an aggressive tread, but they were amazing in all those conditions. I got the LTX MS/2 tires as they looked like they were more aggressive and I am hoping for even better performance.

I don't buy tires from hearsay on the internet. All the other tires I tried work well, but not as good as the Michelins that the Dodge forum (probably located in Van Nuys California) supposedly dislikes.

Don't let a clean truck fool you, this truck has been used for hunting and I want to be able to get where I am going and with those Michelins, that combination performed the best I have witnessed.

You're an idiot. You don't even know which tires you're bragging about,yet you're offering advice?

Earlier you claim to have replaced the OEMs with LTX AT/2s,now you say they're LTX MS/2s?

Pull your head out of your ass before you offer advice next time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My mistake, the replacemant was as first stated...LTX A/T 2. I got lost reading your intelligent, but impartial review of the Michelin tires.

It is fun to see how easily a mistake your father made years ago, can get all twitterpated over nothing more than tires.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
shrapnel

Would you trust them in the "Breaks" mud?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just looked at my 265/70-17 E load range Hankooks. Max load (single axle) is 3195lb, identical to the Bridgestone Revo 2's that I took off.

http://www.amazon.com/Hankook-DynaPro-RF10-Off-Road-Tire/dp/B004QL68NM

Not the correct size or load rating in the link, but a visual of the tread pattern.........

Last edited by badger; 12/17/11.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
shrapnel

Would you trust them in the "Breaks" mud?

I don't know what would work there. I have been there and tried to walk on gumbo and Bentonite both and don't know how a tire could make a difference. The only thing I can imagine getting around in severely wet conditions would be a 4 wheeler. A truck would have to be left on gravel or pavement.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I am wondering if where you buy the truck makes a difference. I say that because the OE tires on my '06 Dodge were the same a Shrapnel's. They were 235's, not 265's because that's what is standard on the cheap Dodges. I bought that Dodge in Idaho, not Kalifornia like I did my 89.
On the other hand, I've had OE Michliens that were a long way from acceptable. My 89 came stock with a set that lasted well. Ignoring the warnings of others, I bought a replacement. Only to have ply separations convince me to spend more money on better ones.
I've also learned to pay attention to what the side walls are made of. The all steel ones I replaced my OE's with worked really well off road and suffered no side wall flats in spite of the mean places I went. E

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Don't know about "Breaks" mud but if it is anything like southern clay the answer is the most aggressive pattern that is still road worthy and enough horsepower to "clean" the tires on demand. By that I mean enough power to spin the tires fast enough that centrifugal force will sling all of the mud clear of the tread, so the tread can grip some fresh mud.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by badger
Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10

I've ran just about every major A/T on the market,the Hankooks are proving to be an outstanding tire.

+100

I agree with these. To the OP, they handle heavy loads very well, in fact they have a stiffer sidewall than any other tire I've run. Since getting them I've grossed over 20k a few times and they have done great.

Bill

Last edited by tx270; 12/18/11.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Take a knee, I don't think even a jet engine would spin a tire fast enough to sling off Breaks mud. It really is a unique substance. mtmuley

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will be in need of tires this spring. I am looking for a tire that will have a good load rating, but still be aggressive enough to handle some mud and be decent on pavement.
I have used BFG All Terrain TA KO's in the past, but the last set wore out fairly quickly and the first set broke some belt with the tread still good.

Basically I need one that can hold up to towing a few ton of hay a year and consistantly having a 400g water tank on them on paved, gravel and dirt roads, then still get me where I need to go when it is wet.

Any thoughts?

I run Hankook RF10's on my 3/4T diesel. Best tire I've ever had on any truck. They were good last winter in Utah mountain snow. Also good was the Michelin LTX-AT2 but they only lasted about 34K miles. I drive jeep trails and plonk offroad, but leave mud alone whenever possible. The Michelin LTX-MS is a great road tire that lasts forever....... works ok in the sage, lousy in snow and scary on slick hardpacked. The MS2 is supposed to be better in winter but I have no personal experience with that one.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,099
Posts18,483,079
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.