Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jim62,
thanks for the memories!!! I made up a number of rifles in the 70 and 80's I would have Fajen inlet them and do the rough exterior and I would finish them from there, with Mark X actions and Douglas barrels. I would page through the catalogs for weeks till I had the money saved for an order. How did Brownells do them in exactly? What happen to Bishop? Oh the days of long ago, fine wood and blued metal!!

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BobnRoy257_b4_Bob257AI
Jim62,
thanks for the memories!!! I made up a number of rifles in the 70 and 80's I would have Fajen inlet them and do the rough exterior and I would finish them from there, with Mark X actions and Douglas barrels. I would page through the catalogs for weeks till I had the money saved for an order. How did Brownells do them in exactly? What happen to Bishop? Oh the days of long ago, fine wood and blued metal!!

B,

I think you misread what I posted. Brownells had absolutley NOTHING to due with Reighart Fajen doing bust as far as I know . Larry Potterfeild, the founder of Miday-USA did.

Bascially here is a rough timeline of EC Bishop and Fajen.

Early 1930s- EC Bishop founded in Warsaw
1945 Reinhart Fajen(a former Bishop employee) founds Reinhart Fajen,Inc on the other side of town.
By the 1960s Fajen is larger than Bishop.
Bishop goes into a steady decline until the mid 1980s, when it is bought out by Fajen.
1993- Larry Potterfeild of Midway USA buys out Fajen/Bishop.
1996- Potterfeild moves the ENITRE stockmaking enterprise to a new Concrete "factory" in Lincoln, MO 30 north of Warsaw.
1997- Long time Fajen manager Fred Wenig quits and starts his own firm, Wenig Gunstocks, in Lincoln. Takes most of the high end fitted stock customers with him..
Fall 1998 Fajen goes into recivership and liguidates.

THe above is a CLASSIC example of the "Peter Principle" at work. In buying Fajen, Larry Potterfield rose to the level of his own incompentance.

The ENTIRE IDEA of a custom wood gunstock is a HIGHER level of fit and finish than the machine made factory products. Potterefield thought he could "Automate" the whole process and eliminate the hand labor that went into building the stocks. Bascially make machine made stocks like the injection molded plastic crap he sells under his various house brands at Midway. He tried to change too much too fast and nver had enough key people with the tlant and knowlege to make it happen.

The company got to the point in 1998 where it could not even BUILD simple stocks they had formally shipped by the thousands just a few years ago. He bascially destroyed the economy of Warsaw, MO.

It took them about 15 years to do it, but Boyds gunstocks is actually doing right now what Fajen could have been able to do if Potterfeild had not had his head so far up his own arse.

Last edited by jim62; 12/17/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Potterfield is a great guy!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ive got a boyds on my 22-250,i have not one complaint its comfortable a little heavy for my hands but fits great

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by jim62
Marty Fajen(Reinhart's Daughter in law) and Fred Wenig (the plant manager then) were wonderful and very tolerant hosts.

Yes, I agree that Fred Wenig is one of the nicest guys in the world. A few years ago, I visited for a day to have stocks fitted to a couple of Beretta over and unders and also had a Winchester Model 70 restocked. He and his main partner, Elbert (Can't remember last name right now -- could be Smith), could not have been more pleasant to me throughout my day there, including taking me to lunch. Your post has brought back pleasant memories of a fine day!

Al

Spend your life wisely.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If Fajen was destined to become what Boyds is today.....they deserved to fail.

Used to love cruising the Fajen's catalog and "dream" about the fine walnut stocks I would someday own. Later when I opened a shop and began building rifles I bought many great stocks from Fajen.

Today, when I look at the offerings from Boyds, I almost cry remembering the day when truely great stock wood was available. Most of their "stocks" are made of PLYWOOD.....and the ones that aren't are so poor in quailty I think I could do better by cutting blanks from a fense post.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jim62
Well, thanks my recent refiling of all my reference material, I was able to put my hands on that 1978 Fajen catalog pretty quick. grin

Unless there were some other stock shops doing exact replicas of Fajen Artistocrat stocks with the same deluxe carved checkering pattern, I believe they did the work.

Here is the catalog I used. The January 1978 updated price lists are inside-
[Linked Image]

The back cover says it all-
[Linked Image]

The middle stock is an Aristocrat with the same special order carved leaf checkering pattern in the description. An important thing to remember is that Fajen had a very strict policy as to specially selecting wood for exact figure type and/or no Sapwood etc. They charged an additional of 50% of the semi inlet price of a AAA fancy stock for a special selection blank. Both of the feather crotch stocks on the back cover(top and bottom stocks) are listed as special selection.

Sooo, going by the Jan 1978 price list here is what the OP's stock would have cost direct from Fajen back then-

$306.00- Base price, fully finished Aristocrat stock
$63 - 50% of semi finish price of AAA Fancy for special selection feather crotch wood
$12 - Contrasting tip and caps
$16.50 Pad fitted -
$50- Deluxe hand rubbed wood finish
$125 Carved Checkering pattern
-------------
$572.50 1978 dollars.

Adjusted for inflation in 2011 dollars $1,986.45

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Include shipping in that and my original "educated guess" of $2k is pretty much right on the money..

That takes me back to my late, late teens. I used to call and "order" the catalogs. I probably still have some of them, fun to look at and bring make many memories.

Always wanted a Bishop Model 10 rifle with all the doodads in the classic style. Never could swing it and have never laid eyes on one. cry

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (007FJ, 1minute, 270cowboy, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.