Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
corey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
what are your thoughts on hollow points for white tail?

my wife picked these up for me last year in 245 gr. they seemed to shoot better than the 270 gr aero tip i bought. i'm just not sure about hunting with hollow points.

do you think if i get the aero tip in 245 gr i will still get the same performance?

i am also wondering if it is the weight that made it more accurate or the type of nose?

last year was my first year for flintlock. i am also self employed and don't have the time to go to the range and tinker with different loads. i am just trying to narrow the variables.

thanks for your input.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You didn't say what kind of rifle, other than flintlock. I doubt the nose has anything to do with accuracy, but the length of the bullet will. Slower twists generally like shorter bullets. As far as using it on a deer, just don't push it too fast. Around 80 gr. of powder should do well. The main problem with soft lead bullets is that if you try to run them too fast, they break up. Stay conservative with your charge, and concentrate on accuracy. Stay away from heavy bone on your shots, if possible. A 245gr projectile through the lungs is deadly.

Last edited by benchman; 12/18/11.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just wondering why you are shooting PB"S . Usually the slow twist likes the heavy conicals like the maxi hunter or maxiball. Lot cheaper too.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Power Belts bullets would be my Last choise of bullets

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I use the 405 grain Power Belt hollow point with a 90 grain charge from a T/C Renegade. This load is extremely accurate, expands well on deer, the bullet retains a good percentage of it's weight as I have found several now just under the opposite side of the deer, just under the hide.

This is a heavy bullet to be sure, but sure hammers the deer! Most of my friends shoot Power Belts in the 245 grain range. I think Power Belt recommends the 245 hp or aerotip and 295 grain hp for deer. Hope that helps you some!

IC B2

corey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T/C firestorm. 2 pellets of 777. when she bought me the gun, the guy at the store gave her "everything i need". thats how she picked up the 245 hollow points. in PA, you can't use a scope on a flint lock. at 25 yds, i can have all the shots touch, the groups open up a bit out to 50, but at 100, the iron sights cover the whole target paper, so its hard to pin point my shots. when i picked up the 270's, i wasn't as accurate, even at 25 yds.

i guess from not knowing a whole lot about flintlocks, i just figured the power belts were simpler than sabots. only 1 part opposed to 2. but i am open to suggestions. flinklock starts on the 26th, and i MIGHT have time to go.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I dont think it will make a difference at all

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I first started out I shot 295 grain Power Belt hollow points powered by 100 grains of Pyrodex, and quickly found out how poor of a bullet they are. In fact, many of the guys I hunt with used this bullet either in 245 grain or 295 and we all have had the same experience. The bullets were incredibly accurate, and that's what made me like them so much. However, when shooting deer, I rarely got a blood trail. While I did find the majority of the deer, I only got a blood trail with one deer. The majority of the time, the bullet wouldn't pass through, and would end up making the deer very difficult to track. This happened with everyone I know using them, and I lost one deer this way, that I know I hit as it hit the ground flapping around for 30-45 seconds, only to then jump up and take off leaving no blood trail. Others lost many more than I did. I also found several that had perfect shots and no blood trail.

I got online and read even more of these stories. So I finally switched, and ended up with the Speer Deep Curls. While I love them, there are many other good choices, but the PB bullets aren't one of them. After switching and seeing how these performed, I realized just how bad the Power Belts really are.

All of the guys I hunt with, with the exception of a couple, have also switched to something else and are having much better luck. One of them claims the shop that sold him his Optima told him it would only shoot PB's as that's what it was made to shoot, and not to shoot anything else it in. No matter how much we tell him that guy was full of it, he refuses to shoot anything else. Each year, he looses at least 1, and sometimes 2 or 3 deer. The other guy doesn't like them either, but bought a new gun this year and so far it's the only thing he could get decent groups from so he did use them, but never shot anything this year with them.

Another guy that hates them used them the first day of muzzle loading season as that's what his old gun was sighted in for, and he didn't have time to sight it in for anything else. I'm not sure why he wasn't using his other gun. The first day he shot a pretty large 7 pointer with these about 100 yards away. It took off running by his stand looking un hit. He reloaded, and it stopped again the second time about 20 yards from him. He shot it a second time and it took off again. This time it only made it about 5 yards and started falling. When I came over to help him get it out, we looked and there were absolutely no blood except where he shot it a second time there was a small drops, and where it fell it was bleeding, and had he not seen where the deer went, we would have had major trouble finding it. Probably would have thought he missed it. When we did get it, both shots were good shots, although the second one was a little high as in a high shoulder shot. The first one was perfect. He told me he forgot how much he hated these bullets, but this is the same experience we have all had.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
never shot a deer with hp power belts, but have killed several elk using 50 cal, 348gr hp powerbelts. 2-3 were broadside at 30-80 yards and one was coming head on at 8 steps when i fired. all died from a single bullet. i'll use them the next time i hunt elk. wouldn't hesitate to use pb's on a deer, ymmv.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the 348 powerbelts. I shoot a 1/48 twist flintlock using 80 grains of Swiss black powder.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have said this over and over,there are 6 of us that hunt in together here in va. we all us nothing but the 295hp powerbelt and we have killed over 250 whitetails with them. stay at 100grns of powder or less they kill great.

i've always got better groups from the hp bullets then the areotips

Last edited by srwshooter; 12/19/11.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Really strange. Good old maxiballs have been killing deer and elkfor years an the PB is just a copper plated one.

I have never had problem recovering elk when shot with a PB,either 295 gr HP or Aero tip.Just like any bullet,use them in the velocity range they were designed for and put them where they need to go.

Are there better bullets out there? Sure. Do the PB's work?You bet.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
corey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
thanks guys. i really appreciate it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
powerbelts are

easy to load
accurate as hell
kill great
available in every gunshop

we shoot them in
tc triumph and omega
cva
traditions
nef

they shoot about the same in all of our guns.
we are not tryin to shoot over 150-160 yds so they work just fine for all of us.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yea, but why pay $1 per bullet or more, when you can get a bullet that performs 10x better like the Deep Curls for $.50 a bullet? That said, I was impressed with the accuracy of the PB's but that's the only thing. After playing with the 300 grain Deep Curls they are just as accurate, just as easy to load, perform 10x better, and cost half the price.

corey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
i was pleased with the 245 HP. not to pleased with the 270 AT. but like i said, i don't have a whole lot of time to tinker around. thats why i was asking for suggestions.

anyone else have some info?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slowr1der
Yea, but why pay $1 per bullet or more, when you can get a bullet that performs 10x better like the Deep Curls for $.50 a bullet? That said, I was impressed with the accuracy of the PB's but that's the only thing. After playing with the 300 grain Deep Curls they are just as accurate, just as easy to load, perform 10x better, and cost half the price.

to us there is no need to change ,we usualy buy in bulk and get them way cheaper.plus everything else we've tried loads to hard. how can a bullet perform better when we are killing everything we shoot at with the powerbelts. no such thing as a bullet that out performs a powerbelt by 10x. i do not need curls to kill a deer or bear and we kill lots of them. i find most powerbelt haters are kinda like cva haters,they really don't no what there talking about.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
From my looking I find no full 50 caliber Deep Curls.,All take a sabot, which are illegal in CO. Don't know about PA

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by corey
at 25 yds, i can have all the shots touch, the groups open up a bit out to 50, but at 100, the iron sights cover the whole target paper, so its hard to pin point my shots.

Try using a target with an over-sized (at least 12") solid colored circle. I've found that at 100 yards, I can place the front bead inside the circle and see the circle all the way around the outside of the bead, really helps to keep the hold consistent and see how different loads shoot. If you're using irons, look for orange targets.

And +1 on the 348 grain aerotips. I've killed half a dozen elk with 'em, and none got away. Shot three deer and never recovered a bullet, clean pass-throughs.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Powerbelt hollow points, lead conicals, patched roundball...I have yet to have any of those fail to go completely through a whitetail.
I don't think the last powerbelt HP even expanded on the doe I shot with a quartering shot through the ribs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.