Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I got lucky as it could have been alot worse. After I slid down the hill I slowly got up and while dusting myself off I was feeling my age. I did bleed out my elbow, got a couple scuffs on my arm, and a sore tail bone. But the hurt when I located my rifle made me upset.

I remember back to when I found that rifle and how proud I was when I bought it new. It shot well and was a keeper.

I also had recent plans to send it to Redneck for tuning and a recoil pad replacement.

Now plans will really have to change. I'm going to need to consider my options over the Christmas holliday and get my rifle a new stock.

Thanks to all who reply to this thread.

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was a pretty stock but the grain was weak through the grip. You can do better when you choose a new one. I like to see the grain run long, through the grip, like my m70, even though quite plain:
[Linked Image]
On your original stock there was very short grain through the grip.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I cannot imagine how that would make my gut ache. Are you going to use the inletted swivel studs? If not I would be interested in them.

Steak, It's my favorite vegetable!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
US Patriot;
I'm sorry to see that your stock broke but am happy to hear you weren't hurt badly.

As a number of replies have indicated, from what I can see from your photos, your stock could easily be repaired. May I add that after a proper repair it would be much stronger than original.

Interestingly I repaired a Browning A-Bolt this past season that broke in almost exactly the same place when it's owner fell.

When I was finished with the repair, the owner had to look closely to see where the break had been.

If I may suggest it, this would be a good time to replace the recoil pad at the same time as the stock is being repaired.

To be clear I am in no way soliciting work here, as the medicine line tends to be a little bothersome these days when sending anything remotely related to firearms across it.

The purpose of my post is only to say that a decent stock maker/repairman would be able to make your nicely figured stock better than new - if that's what you want to do.

Hopefully that was some help and good luck with the project whichever way you decide.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
better it than you!

that's a good trick breaking it grin then I would HAVE to get a new stock...

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by archie_james_c
McWoodie and don't look back. One more reason not to hunt wood stocks.

SACRILIDGE!!!!

:P guns are for working, not lookin pretty laugh . That being said I have a CDL takeoff coming for my Model 7 SS SAUM. Mind you that's just to replace the Tupperware until the McMillan gets ordered and sent.

I still think a supergrade mcwoodie with a red pad would look wild on that rifle AND be functional.

It's only a stock!

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
heathens..... buncha hairy unwashed ill mannered uncouthe heathens.... smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
McWoody. Simple.

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There's always space for a good wood stock in my

[Linked Image]

FIREPLACE....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes! Burning walnut has such a nice smell.

Tough on breaking the stock. Time for a change. One way or another it will be resolved.

I had a dog that kept tripping me on bird hunts years ago. I managed to break the stock in the same place as yours. Had it repaired, fell again, broke close to same place but not on the glue line. Replaced the shotgun stock with a synthetic. It has not broken since....just saying...you might be falling in the future.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Kinda odd that someone would fall whilst hunting. Seems the hot chamber boys say no one falls whilst hunting. Easy to maintain muzzle control, less so when the rifle is in 2 pieces...

Last edited by Steelhead; 12/23/11. Reason: l

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Kinda odd that someone would fall whilst hunting. Seems the hot chamber boys say no one falls whilst hunting. Easy to maintain muzzle control, less so when the rife is in 2 pieces...

Quit making sense.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I always thought that if you don't have to worry about your footing and a fall is not a possibility, you're not trying hard enough.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
on the bright side....it could have been your femur......

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'd try having it fixed and it and if I wasn't happy with it I'd buy a new stock. If I got another wood stock I'd have the wrist pinned for strength.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scott;
I hope this finds you doing acceptably well this Friday before Christmas morning.

If memory serves, and admittedly it doesn't always serve well these days, I've repaired at least 5 stocks over the years that broke from the owner falling on them.

Quads seem to be the runner up cause of folks arriving at our garage with a box of splinters that used to be their stock. frown

This past season when chasing whitetail/moose (found neither btw) I went down in an most impressive manner when traversing a shintangle hillside that was covered in 6" of snow. A downed lodgepole snagged one of my boots when my body insisted on continuing on you see.

On the bright side, the blue tape on the muzzle kept it nice and clean! wink laugh

If you should ever break another pretty stock like the one in the photo and you don't need to warm your house with it, I'd pay postage in an attempt to get the parts up here. Who knows if it would be allowed across the line or not though, but I'd be willing to risk postage in the interest of science and all that.

Merry Christmas to you folks Scott and all the best in 2012 to you as well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you replace the stock with another wood stock, consider doing what Weatherby used to do: epoxy a 1/4" steel rod lengthwise down through the wrist. If you look at old Hawken rifles, that's why they had long tangs and long trigger plates to reiforce the wrist.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry for your fall and the bad break.

Contact Karnis and take more detailed pictures. He should be able to fix it and make it almost invisible.

He repaired my Marlin Marauder stock that the post office destroyed. When it was done, one would be hard pressed to see that it was ever broken.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by US_Patriot

Earlier today I was scouting around hog areas. And on my way back I was coming down a very steep trail. I slipped and took a big spill. Me and my rifle went down and crashed hard.

I broke my favorite Model 70. I feel very very sick.

Now I will have to start looking to replace the stock with some super nice wood or with a Hunters Edge.

Your suggestions are welcome.

One - it can be repaired, but it won't be cheap.. Two - you can obtain a replacement from Winchester for about $550.. Yours is the later SG model and they have a few stocks left.. Good thing it's not an earlier SG because those stocks are history..

1-800-322-4626, XT 2863 (Win. parts line)..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by sactoller
Sorry for your fall and the bad break.

Contact Karnis and take more detailed pictures. He should be able to fix it and make it almost invisible.

He repaired my Marlin Marauder stock that the post office destroyed. When it was done, one would be hard pressed to see that it was ever broken.

+1

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 3,136 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,965
Posts18,519,524
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.