-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Talking about stirrup length and saddles.
Dad is an ex jockey who learned to ride that way, I can only think of one time when he rode with stirrups below knee length when sitting in the saddle.
He was most comfortable on a horse when he was squatting above its back and if things looked like they would be a bit hairy or the ground was a bit steep or rough he'd actually shorten his stirrups so if he sat on the saddle with his feet in the stirrup only the lower half of his calf was below the horses back. He rode everywhere in nothing bigger than a seven pound exercise saddle, and I've seen him ride some real rough country.
He used to throw fits at me riding a western saddle, he used to say an English saddle is like riding an armchair and a western saddle is like putting your entire bedroom suite on the horse.

The original international turd
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Charley Snell's blog is at www.charleysnell.wordpress.com

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Got a little under the weather for a few day's, but finally got back to this thread. Like to see the different style's of saddle's, and horses's.
I mentioned my Dad riding mule's, but before he got into mule,s, he raised old line Morgan horses. I remember a couple of the bloodline's he mentioned as being Flyhawk and Senator Graham.

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I use mules for our mountain riding now, as a lot of it is no trail but just make your way, timbered and rocky. But I will say I had an old fashioned stocky TW mare that had a great work ethic, was a , You bet, we can do it, kinda mare, had a ton of good sense, on the good road could gait and get it, she was shod normally and naturally as she gaited naturally, and she had a good short lope.

She was sensible and tough, just a good mountain mare. Alot of her gaiting ability had to wait til the countryside was more favorable to her gaiting, she skimmed the ground, overreaching up over her front hoof print a good deal, and she couldn't use that speed hunting. She was very surefooted and would pack anything, could shoot off her more than once (!) She was intelligent and solid as a rock. She save my bacon more than once. I raised a dandy mule out of her, and then sold her at the Great America Trail Horse Sale in Columbia MO, she was the high selling animal over 10 years old there. I felt like she should go to a home where they could really use her super smooth gait, she went to the bridle paths of Pennsylvania, and that worked well for her new buyers, and my current mule works well for my current situation. We still have that mule, and she has the same, You betchya, lets do it, attitude...love her too.

I ride mules, hunt every chance I can, and even take my husband with me!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had the gentleman who made my saddle build me this scabbard. Now were sequenceing laugh

[Linked Image]

Now we got to get this thing broke in so my rifle doesn't hang up.. frown

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Geez, Pat. That's too nice to use!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Very nice, Pat. Mine and yours are almost twins.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All my saddles are built on a Buster Welch tree and don't have much leather between me and the horse. I like to sit right down on and feel the horse. I wouldn't ride a padded by choice.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had him copy a colorado saddlery scabbadard I have, except beef it up and tool it. Added 2" to the barrel area in case I get a hair brained idea to pick up a ultramag. whistle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtrancher
Nice old Heiser. Probably has the bars in it that would work for lila. I have my father's old Miles City saddle that was made for him in 1934 when he was running wild horses for the CBC. It's built on a Sid Special tree. That tree was designed by Sid Vollin, my father's wagon boss on the CBC. Lovely basketweave on Round Oak's saddle. If I knew how to post photos I'd show you guys a picture of my new Charley Snell saddle.

i believe those are the saddles my family out there used back in the day, They are all from that area, little dont blink town called ismay. They used to sell horses back in that time to police/military over seas. Might could be your dad crossed paths with some of my family members way back when. If;n your from that way.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes, Ismay (which briefly went by the name Joe, Montana) is about 50 miles east of us. I'm third generation on this place and my family has been here for 99 years. Miles City exported more horses overseas from 1890 to 1940 than probably any place in America.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea, my family out there were the lennells,shoemakers and the griffins. They had ranchs outside of ismay that they had horses on. Some of them still live out that way, but since my grandpa died were not in touch much with them. Always listend to storys when i was young about my grandpa and the lennel boys and his brothers going to town and getting in fights at the dance halls. haha, one of these times im gonna make it out there.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't know any Lennels, but the Griffins are well-known. Bill Griffin graduated in my high school class. Very good people. There was a Shoemaker, now deceased, who once held a knife to my throat years ago in a Miles City bar. That was after he put his .45 ACP away. A lot of great Western history around Ismay. It was named by a pioneer who had daughters named Isabelle and Maybelle. He combined their names to make Ismay. I believe it was "[bleep] Bob" Levitt who had a famous watering hole in Ismay about 100 years ago.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
mtrancher, did you ever own on of those early Miles City saddles?

Last edited by Pat85; 02/02/12.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No, my father's, made in 1934, is the earliest I've owned. Miles City, of course, was a huge saddlemaking town at one time. As was Cheyenne, WY. The early Miles City saddles are still to be found and if in good condition they bring quite a bit of money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know any Lennels, but the Griffins are well-known. Bill Griffin graduated in my high school class. Very good people. There was a Shoemaker, now deceased, who once held a knife to my throat years ago in a Miles City bar. That was after he put his .45 ACP away. A lot of great Western history around Ismay. It was named by a pioneer who had daughters named Isabelle and Maybelle. He combined their names to make Ismay. I believe it was "[bleep] Bob" Levitt who had a famous watering hole in Ismay about 100 years ago.

my grandma was a griffin, she moved back out this way in prolly 1950 or so with my grandpa who was from wisconsin, dont know a whole lot bout her parents, i guess her dad was a pretty angry/drunk fella, and her mom died when she was young. That sounds kinda like a shoemaker, that side of the family has a bif of a temper. They had a big ranch at one time out that way, and leased a island somewhere up near alaska that they ran beef on for a lot of years.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No, my father's, made in 1934, is the earliest I've owned. Miles City, of course, was a huge saddlemaking town at one time. As was Cheyenne, WY. The early Miles City saddles are still to be found and if in good condition they bring quite a bit of money.

I know they are highly sought after, seen one listed on ebay a few years back. There was a lot of interest in that saddle.

This looks like a likely spot for my first post.
I ride either a Vinton ranch cutter on a BW tree, or a Circle Y cowhorse.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,893 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,298
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.