Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
I have a Marine buddy who would bet his life on his Colt Commaner......because he already has. He's a Marine sniper & has been in some crazy situations in Iraq & Afganistan.

Dick

GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Tell him "Thanks" for being willing to protect our Freedom OIL...

Fixed it for you.

Mac--Good post.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If your son has an MOS where a handgun is issued to him at the junior enlisted ranks he will have people around him who know their way around a handgun. Many MOSs will not recieve a pistol until they are SNCO, and that is usually during a second or even third enlistment. As good as a Gunsite visit could be, there is a decent chance that he may go to one of these schools with his unit. Mackay is correct about a lot of Marines being trained with a pistol with unremarkable training, but if he is in a MOS that needs it, I can bet that he will be around some fine shooters. Even a great handgun is a last resort to a just about any rifle, let alone an M4.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
colt wiley capp commander

[Linked Image]

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
If I may make a slightly different suggestion.

A smart thing to do would be to buy him a few days at a top ranking handgun school, such as Thunder Ranch or Gunsite, along with his new sidearm.

Most kids coming out of basic/boot have no real idea how to properly manipulate a handgun (conventional military trains it as almost an afterthought)and it would put him light years ahead of 99% of his coworkers. It will also prevent him from ingraining piss poor habits from non comms who themselves are completely clueless.

That gift to him would be far more rewarding over the course of his career than either of you may ever realize.

Right now (when he comes home on leave)is the time to put the young man in contact with a true pro he can emulate.

We do not need loud dumb Marines.

We need thinkers who are shooters and shooters who are thinkers.

Sincerely,

Mackay Sagebrush.

i copied your post verbatim and fired it off to a retired intelligence wonk i know. He agreed with you word for word. Course i knew he would because we have had similar conversations in the past. Thinkers are the key

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

tlfw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thank you guys for your input. I believe in trainning too...

The land of the free because of the brave.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
If your son has an MOS where a handgun is issued to him at the junior enlisted ranks he will have people around him who know their way around a handgun. Many MOSs will not recieve a pistol until they are SNCO, and that is usually during a second or even third enlistment. As good as a Gunsite visit could be, there is a decent chance that he may go to one of these schools with his unit. Mackay is correct about a lot of Marines being trained with a pistol with unremarkable training, but if he is in a MOS that needs it, I can bet that he will be around some fine shooters...

In Vietnam, my assigned weapons were the M-79 grenade launcher and a .45 (we all had M14's which were replaced by AR-15's shortly after our arrival in VN). Beyond qualifying, the Army gave us NO training w/ these before facing combat.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by tlfw
My son will be going off to San Diego for boot camp in January. He said he wants a 1911 for his 21st birthday. I'm thinking that his becoming a Marine (praying he makes it) is more fitting. I'm all ears as to what would be the most fitting 1911 for a Marine...

Your budget will have a say on which 1911, but a 1911 by Les Bear is never wrong if i they fit in the budget

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
tlfw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
jwp...I've no budget restraints...so to speak. Reality, may prove different as momma has a vote too.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

A smart thing to do would be to buy him a few days at a top ranking handgun school, such as Thunder Ranch or Gunsite, along with his new sidearm.

Most kids coming out of basic/boot have no real idea how to properly manipulate a handgun (conventional military trains it as almost an afterthought)and it would put him light years ahead of 99% of his coworkers. It will also prevent him from ingraining piss poor habits from non comms who themselves are completely clueless.

That gift to him would be far more rewarding over the course of his career than either of you may ever realize.

Right now (when he comes home on leave)is the time to put the young man in contact with a true pro he can emulate.

Sincerely,

Mackay Sagebrush.

Having traded enough PM's with Mack I can whole heartedly agree with his assessment of the situation. Most people I know, including past comrades in arms, do not have enough situational awareness to survive their first CQB engagement. Your head's gotta move like it's on a swivel and you had better be ready to be mean enough, fast enough to make it through! A good school plus a good gun would put your son light years ahead of most of his contemporaries....

Good luck!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Sincerely,

Mackay Sagebrush.

This!

It ain't the gun it's the nut behind the trigger that matters.

Yes, I used the word "gun", pun intentional.

Biker

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
if the young man is insistant on a 1911 for purely sentimental reasons, any one of them will work as long as it's a true 1911 design. if it's something that will become a way to famialarize himself with service weapons, stick to things more service related.

i was issued a handgun in the army. i had lots of experience beforehand. i learned more while in. the days of "here's your pistol, go qualify" are over. you are properly trained in your weapons platform these days. as previously noted, training is *always* better than buying a certain model. especially combat oriented training.

personally, i like springfield models. always have. i avoid colt. i can't afford kimber, wilson, or higher end dan wessons. i have shot all of them though, and noticed no real difference. if anything, it's always going to shoot better than the guy pulling the trigger.

also, can we avoid the dumbass snide remarks about the boy fighting for oil? i'm grateful to have another young man interested in standing up for what he believes in, regardless of the branch. i wish him well. you gotta be a proud daddy!

"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak arabic, love music, and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers, and warriors." ~Hunter S. Thompson

I'm still clinging bitterly...how about you?
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by tlfw
jwp...I've no budget restraints...so to speak. Reality, may prove different as momma has a vote too.

I took this Springfield

[Linked Image]

And sent it to JRH Advanced Gunsmithing and had a new barrel fitted and a face lift. I am very pleased with the results. SHoots GREAT

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Good Morning all,

I sure like the looks of that Wiley Clapp Colt Commander, posted above. Stick a tritium front sight on it, add stock panels to suit individual tastes and it would be G2G for me.

In regards to a .45 for the young Marine, a 5", all steel version may be better suited.

If it can be swung money wise, a Les Baer "ulimate tactical carry model", which looks to me like a Thunder Ranch model without the markings,would be perfect.

Such a .45 would be outstanding for both work and play.

On another note, I did not anticipate such a reaction to my post about suggestions for training to accompany the gift.

Funny how something we feel strongly about strikes home with so many, who may or may not even be in the same line of work.

I like to see new and bright people with potential get set on the right path. Even if they do not realize they are getting a little extra attention.

Cheers!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
the wiley has a brass front sight which gives quick fast sight picture

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yep, I like the looks of the gold/brass bead for general daylight hours, but given that I may use it in a low light setting, I would just prefer a tritium post up front.

Fortunately it is an easy swap to whatever the end user wishes, so everyone should be a happy camper. Pretty slicking gun overall.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sincerely,

Mackay Sagebrush.

That's a good post & even better advice.

As for the gun, since a tight budget is not a constraint, I'd buy the best you want to spring for......Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown, Chuck Rodgers, Fusion.

If you go off the shelf, Colt Series 70 or Dan Wesson or one of the Kimbers w/o a FPS. (The Colt S-70 & Dan Wesson also do not have a FPS).

I'd never want a gun for true combat use with a FPS & I disable any I get that has one for my own use.

Anyone planning serious use of a 1911 needs to get minimally capable of completely stripping the gun, knowing what issues to look for & how to correct them; to bet your life on a gun & not be capable of doing that is asking for trouble & is literally taking your life in your own hands.

Not talking about completely being able to 'smith all aspects of it, just a bit more than the very basics.

Whenever I get a 1911, I do exactly as JOG has mentioned before a round is ever fired & the gun is as perfect (functionally) as it can be before it's ever fired.

JMHO

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by walt501
My first thought would be Colt Series 70 Government model with the 100 years of service roll mark if you can find one. Reports that I've read say it's a really nice shooter and very accurate.

[Linked Image]

I own both a Dan Wesson Valor (top end) and a Series 70 Mk IV Colt (between both ends). I would go with the Colt for your son. This photo above is a very good representation of the beauty that is a Series 70 Colt.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
My first stop would be Colt's these days. The classic Series 70 (They are made new from the factory once again) is very nice. If you want one with all the bells and whistles, then the XSE series are very good also. I fell in love with the XSE LW Commander in .38 Super, just wish I had seen it before I bought my S&W.

After the Colt's, my next stop would be S&W, then Springfield.

What about a SIG 1911?

tlfw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I want to introduce you to my son, The Marine. I'm going to take him this week to mull over his choices...on 1911 and training site...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,679
Posts18,513,358
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.