Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Bricktop
You're just a f*cking dude hunter. Your only experience is researching things you've read, because in all honesty, you have no actual experience. If Browning is the Milli Vanilli of the firearms manufacturing world, then you're the Milli Vanilli of this board. You make statements about hunting with unloaded rifles, refer to muzzleloaders as "muzzle stuffers," and have to rely on guides to hold your hand to take you to farm-raised animals for you to shoot. Jesus Christ, your only "experience" in this subject matter is recitation of bullshit you've read as written by someone else whose point of view suits yours. In short, you're just a f*cking boob.
I think profanity, name calling as lack of facts in your posts show who the real "boob" is. Look in a mirror and you'll see.
Typical dude hunter response: focus the discussion on extraneous BULLSHIT after your ass just got called out as a paper assh*le.

Your only "facts" are those recited from others. What a f*cking joke.

Still wanting to know what "run" means as applied to "run a .25-06."

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gorskij
I have the same question for the 6mm REM, why so few rifles for this awesome cartridge?
Remington had their brains on a rheostat when they introduced the original incarnation as the .244 Remington.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gorskij
I have the same question for the 6mm REM, why so few rifles for this awesome cartridge?
Remington had their brains on a rheostat when they introduced the original incarnation as the .244 Remington.

I know, they [bleep] up the twist. Id still get e 6mm over a 243 any day. There it is on the bottom.
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a M77R in 6 mm Remington that has a too short mag box in it also. It shoots ok and kills antelope as dead as a 243 with the same bullets.The 1 in 12 twist of the original 244 would stabilize the 100 gr plus RN bullets but had problems with longer spitzer shaped 100 gr bullets. Several friends who have had 244's used the 90 gr Speer and said it seem to kill deer and antelope as good as any 243 load they ever saw work. I like both the 95 and 100 gr NPT but my favorite is the 100 gr HornSP in either the 243 or 6mm. It was 63 before Remington revamped the 244 into the 6mm and the tighter 1 in 9 twist by then WW marketing was allready waxing Remington's offering and the rest of course is history.Either one will serve it's shooter very well without much noticeable difference between them. Magnum Man

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
hi dhg,

Sorry not to agree with you about the 6,5x57 popularity in Europe.
Except in some parts of Germany and Austria (very few), where they use it traditionally for mountain game, the 6,5x57 is going to the 257Bob fate. It survives mostly in rimmed version, the 6,5x57R, because of kipplauf (break open) rifles, where the rim give better reliability in extraction or ejection.

The 6,5x57 and its R version are, like the Bob, a bit under loaded because of older break open.
When loaded to same pressure as the 260 in modern rifles the 57mm case give better performance (same as some 6,5x55Swede). I know about because i own one Merkel K1. This action (as the Blaser K95) can stand high pressure.
I load mine (my daughter's in fact)to the same performance as the 6,5x57 with 125/130grs bullets for gams and roes.

These calibers like the Bob are classics which perform very well but today they sell no more, compared to modern or more powerful ones.
The 6,5x57 can be chambered in some Steyr, Sauer, Blaser and custom guns but not in large quantities.
RWS, Sellier & Bellot, Partisan and custom french manufacturers load for it. It's the same with the 7x57, slowly fading away in Old World.

Here a picture of a custom 6,5x57 french made. Can be chambered in 257 or 257AI too...

[Linked Image]
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
WF,
That is a very nice rifle you have there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I had a 1982 700 Classic, which is a long-action 257 Rbts. It's not at all necessary for this cartridge, and in a long action and a 24" sporter contour barrel, the Classic model is a hog relative to the chambering. The Rbts really shines in a short-action rifle. 2.825" is plenty of length and with some powders will give the same velocity as a round loaded out to 3+".

Watch in the classifieds or search and see how fast a Kimber Montana in 257 Rbts sells.

If yuoo reread my post you will see that what I wrote was �to take full advantage of the cartridge you need a mid or long action�. That is not to say a short action won�t work, just that you can do things with a long action that you cannot with a short action. Nor does how fast a Kimber shorty in Roberts sell have any bearing on that fact.

COL for my heavier .257 Roberts loads is such that they will not fit in a Rem M700 short action magazine � not by quite a ways. Even the longest bullets do not extend into the case past the neck.

The Ruger M77, BTW, is a long action. Don�t know about all the others.

I know about the Ruger. And Rem used both LA and SA - I've had both and prefer the SA, which I have several now. NULA is 3". Win 70 a tad longer. So what? There is absolutely NO real world difference in velocities with heavies in the Bob when loaded to 2.825" in a Rem 700 SA or when loaded to as long as 3.1". None!

Per Quickload - 120 Gr. Nosler Partition, 22" barrel, Pressure as close to 58K w/o going over, powder chosen to give case capacity close to or over 100% but not over 105%:

2.825" COAL
45.9 Grs Rel 19 = 2903 fps
46.9 Grs H4831SC = 2870 fps
45.3 Grs Hunter = 2904 fps

3.1" COAL
48.1 Grs Rel 19 = 2927 fps (+24 fps)
49.2 Grs H4831SC = 2897 fps (+27 fps)
47.4 Grs Hunter = 2923 fps (+19 fps)

27 additional fps is not going to make ANY difference in the field. You can figure the additional percentage of powder for each longer load....I don't need or care to take the time to do that. A longer Bob is not as efficient as a shorter Bob.

I shoot 100 Gr. TSX exclusively in the Roberts at about 3100 fps and never have a need for anything heavier or faster than that. 2.825" COAL is perfect in a Rem 700 SA for the Bob.

I learned my lesson when I had a 6mm AI built on a Rem 700 long action. When I put it to paper, I didn't gain anything using a LA versus using a SA. I still have that hog and will soon have the 6mm AI barrel unscrewed and installed on a SA. I also learned a lesson in barrel lengths with that one, which was one of my first builds. The 26" barrel will be cut down to 22" when it's screwed onto a short action.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
When I read the title of this thread my first thought was here comes the same negative rhetoric thrown out in the 7x57 thread from a week or so ago.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by dhg
currently holds a bunch of trophies and records.

As a hunter, and that's where the interest lies as far as the Roberts is concerned, I couldn't give a toss about trophies or records.

The .260 is as sexy as a fridge, but it is simply the better cartridge. It is truly one of the best cartridges of the last 50 years IMHO.

I've corrected that one for you. wink

BTW, I don't have any problems with the 260, I'm just about to take delivery of another 7mm08 and I don't want or need two so my old MR will be getting another tube sometime in 2012. Right now it's a toss up between the 260 and the Creedmore.

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Perhaps i am more commenting on the general usefulness of most cartridges of the last 50 years.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cartridges as slow as the weakling 260 are not useful and certainly not interesting. Now, the 264 WinMag, THAT is a 6.5 that can SING!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How did I know you would be along singing the praises of high velocity? smile

How's the progress coming on your health? Feeling better?

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I know about the Ruger. And Rem used both LA and SA - I've had both and prefer the SA, which I have several now. NULA is 3". Win 70 a tad longer. So what? There is absolutely NO real world difference in velocities with heavies in the Bob when loaded to 2.825" in a Rem 700 SA or when loaded to as long as 3.1". None!

You may be comfortable seating bullets below the case neck and/or using compressed loads. I prefer not to do either when it can be avoided. Even with my longest Roberts loads, the 110AB, there is no need to do so with the long action Ruger. This, however, relates to personal preferences and has nothing to do with the factual differences between the .257 Roberts and the .25-06 in terms of top end ballistics.

Kind of like asking which is �better�, walnut or synthetic stocks. Personal preferences rule and there is no universal �better�. You like the Roberts in a shot action platform and that�s great. I�ll take mine in a long.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/27/11. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This, however, relates to personal preferences and has nothing to do with the factual differences between the .257 Roberts and the .25-06 in terms of top end ballistics.
How in the f*ck would you know? You're only going by what someone else told you or what you've chosen to interpret. You have ZERO EXPERIENCE.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KDK
How did I know you would be along singing the praises of high velocity? smile

How's the progress coming on your health? Feeling better?

am I that predictable? smile At least I am consistent...... laffin.

Getting an Echocardiogram later today, that will tell us much but judging from how I FEEL and what I am able to do I think I am better. Chest pain is finally subsided, energy is coming back slowly. I plan to lobby the Doc for an OK to go duck hunting in the AM. My buds will carry the decoys and my bird brain dog will fetch the hit birds, assuming I CAN actually hit one or more.... - grins-

Thanks for asking.

PS speed rules, turrest twisters droolz smile

Last edited by safariman; 12/27/11.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't see any 350 Rem Mags in a long action, do you? But in a short action, the 350 RM is a natural and yet bullets must be stuffed way into the case. Reloadres have been doing it for years with no ill effects. 25-284 is another example and yes, I have personal experience with that one as well. Also had a 350 RM that took several hogs with the 210 Partition and the hogs died as if they didn't even know I did a crazy thing stuffing those bullets into the cases so far.

If it all boils down to personal preference as you admit, then there's absolutely no argument. But one can't be wrong or inferior for having a personal preference for one thing over another. Glad some are happy with their long action Roberts. I'm very happy with either but I don't believe one is inferior to the other like you do. The numbers bear out the fallacy of long action being better for the Bob.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're just a f*cking dude hunter. Your only experience is researching things you've read, because in all honesty, you have no actual experience. If Browning is the Milli Vanilli of the firearms manufacturing world, then you're the Milli Vanilli of this board. You make statements about hunting with unloaded rifles, refer to muzzleloaders as "muzzle stuffers," and have to rely on guides to hold your hand to take you to farm-raised animals for you to shoot. Jesus Christ, your only "experience" in this subject matter is recitation of bullshit you've read as written by someone else whose point of view suits yours. In short, you're just a f*cking boob.
I think profanity, name calling as lack of facts in your posts show who the real "boob" is. Look in a mirror and you'll see.

Typical dude hunter response: focus the discussion on extraneous BULLSHIT after your ass just got called out as a paper assh*le.

Typical response from someone who can�t rationally argue their position based on facts � ignore the facts and resort to personal attack. As I said before, the profanity, name calling and lack of facts in your posts show who the real boob is.

It doesn�t take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Might take more than a brickhead.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am also a firm believer in "speed kills". And I believe TSX's and TTSX's at high velocities are the best formula for killing. That's the very reason I love the 25-284 in a SA rifle and will soon hopefully delve into the world of 257 Roy. I just can't repress my love for the Bob and better Bob and I'm a short action slut. Can't help it.

Hope all goes well with you and your health.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Typical response from someone who can�t rationally argue their position based on facts � ignore the facts and resort to personal attack. As I said before, the profanity, name calling and lack of facts in your posts show who the real boob is.
Don't have to resort to anything. I merely point out the obvious -- your use of metrosexual terms, your reliance on data developed and acquired by others vice your own, your repeated dickhead tales told on yourself (hunting with an empty chamber and justification thereof), your own admission that you've never hunted whitetail deer, your own admission that you don't have any experience with any of the .25 caliber rounds on which you've chosen to pontificate your horseshit ramblings, your reliance on guided hunts, etc. I could go on, but I think the point is obvious: YOU'RE JUST A F*CKING DUDE "HUNTER." In your mind, if you read it somewhere, then you've experienced it.

It doesn�t take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Might take more than a brickhead.
You certainly fancy yourself some kind of a salty dog. Impress us and offer an explanation, Milli Vanilli.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't see any 350 Rem Mags in a long action, do you? But in a short action, the 350 RM is a natural and yet bullets must be stuffed way into the case. Reloadres have been doing it for years with no ill effects. 25-284 is another example and yes, I have personal experience with that one as well. Also had a 350 RM that took several hogs with the 210 Partition and the hogs died as if they didn't even know I did a crazy thing stuffing those bullets into the cases so far.

If it all boils down to personal preference as you admit, then there's absolutely no argument. But one can't be wrong or inferior for having a personal preference for one thing over another. Glad some are happy with their long action Roberts. I'm very happy with either but I don't believe one is inferior to the other like you do. The numbers bear out the fallacy of long action being better for the Bob.

My contention has always been that you need a long action to take full advantage of the Robert's capabilities, not that one or the other was "inferior" or "better". Your QuickLoad numbers actually confirm that although in the specific case you cite I would agree that the difference is minimal. Now go run through all the other possible combinations using pressure-tested data, not QuickLoad calculations and if they all come out the same I'll happily concede your point.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1234, 160user, 219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.