-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
H
I have owned the Ruger International 30-06 for over 15 years. When zero-ed in correctly, I find that it is a very accurate shooting gun. I like the way the wood absorbs a lot of the recoil from the Gun. My Dad has a Mannlicher-Schoenauer 30-06 which cost today about 2.5 times the Ruger. With the exception of the dual trigger, I find that both guns shoot and behave comparibly. You will enjoy this gun. I have shot deer at 300+ yards with no issues.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CZ makes a nice full lenght stock rifle.I have a Ruger RSI 7x57 and the CZ full stock .308 winchester. I will never sell the CZ.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i have a MKII 308 RSI. cold barrel is dead on. subsequent shots string pretty bad but i never miss. smile i like the gun and it is a joy to carry. i paid $350 about 5 years ago at gander mountain in like new condition.

My diploma is a DD214
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've never owned one, but if I found one at the right price, I wouldn't hesitate. I love mannlicher stocked rifles. To me, they are very attractive. I recognize that they are creature killers and not group shooters though.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
While I don't have a 30-06 RSI (I've had 3 in other chamberings), I did have an M77 RLS 30-06 with 18.5" barrel.

IME, it's too short. It's very LOUD.

A 30-06 should have a minimum of a 20" barrel IMO, and 22" is as short as I'd go anymore.

The RSI is an appealing rifle... but I think it is at its best in 308 and similar chamberings.

If the RSI had a 20" barrel I'd own one.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd jump on it myself... of course it would not be shooting factory ammo anyway.... they are cool, and now they are not being made...

if it had a problem, a gunsmith could remedy that... in fact, see if the seller would let you allow a gunsmith to inspect it before solidifying the deal..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've been informed by my friend Bud, that he being childless, I get his guns when he croaks. It's in the will.

I glass-bedded his '06 International about 20 years back, and tried a few dozen rounds through it.

The man lives dangerously! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rem141r
i have a MKII 308 RSI. cold barrel is dead on. subsequent shots string pretty bad but i never miss. smile i like the gun and it is a joy to carry. i paid $350 about 5 years ago at gander mountain in like new condition.

I have three of the RSI rifles, but they're the earlier tang safety versions. One thing that helped with the accuracy problems I had was to relieve that metal muzzle cap a bit. It didn't take much and a little cold blue covered up where I cleaned it up. basically it's just a little off the sies and a bit where the barrel rests.
All three of my rifles were extremely fussy about ammo and it took me a bit over two years to find a load that worked, I won't give the load as it's proved to be too hot in another rifle but it uses W-760, Winchester brass and standard primer and the 165 gr. Speer Hot-Core bullet. Accuracy runs from 1.25 to 1.50" and the velocity is 2550 FPS. No barn burner but every deer shot with that load from 35 fet to 250 yards has been a one shot kill.
Can't complain about that and the RSI is one of my all time favorite rifles.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wanted an RSI 30-06 for years because I like Rugers and the RSIs are beautiful. Then I bought one. Dang thing kicked like a mule. Didn't take me long to peddle it. The barrels on the RSIs are of very light profile, yielding an overall lightweight rifle. Too light for an aught six to my reckoning, at least too light without a thick, cushy bumper in back. I would think that if they made the RSI with the same barrel profile as the full-length models, they would be more friendly to shoot, and more accurate to boot. But they didn't ask me. Now an RSI in a milder caliber, like 250 Savage, would be a nice rifle. Even the old 30 or 35 Remingtons would make into a sweet little Mannlicher carbine. How about a Mannlicher carbine in 30 Remington made with a Kimber 84M action? grin The older I get (and the more shoulder surgeries I endure) the less I appreciate recoil, even the recoil of a 30-06.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
a 77 rsi in 35 rem in 18.5" barrel would be ideal.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have had both a 250 sav,. and a 243(still have the 243) and have liked them both. I agree that ruger would have been smarter to put 20" barrels on them but they didn't listen to me. I like the shorter cartridges myself as they just sort of fit my mental image of what a carbine should shoot whatever that means. A full bore 30-06 would in all likelyhood have a pretty sever blast. Heck even 22" barrel ones do. The thing to remember though is everyone with a 30-06 has a 300 savage or 308 if they want one. A little judicious reloading and you should be able to make it a well mannered rifle very capable of taking deer and black bear. Remember a short carbine is made to be handy and is best for short to medium range and just isn't the tool to be shooting 500 yds with and any of the reduced round comparisons I mentioned are very capable deer calibers to 250-300yds. If it's a good deal go for it. If it is at a premium and you have reservations walk.

Last edited by bangeye; 12/28/11.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Originally Posted by rem141r

I have three of the RSI rifles, but they're the earlier tang safety versions. One thing that helped with the accuracy problems I had was to relieve that metal muzzle cap a bit. It didn't take much and a little cold blue covered up where I cleaned it up. basically it's just a little off the sies and a bit where the barrel rests.
All three of my rifles were extremely fussy about ammo and it took me a bit over two years to find a load that worked, I won't give the load as it's proved to be too hot in another rifle but it uses W-760, Winchester brass and standard primer and the 165 gr. Speer Hot-Core bullet. Accuracy runs from 1.25 to 1.50" and the velocity is 2550 FPS. No barn burner but every deer shot with that load from 35 fet to 250 yards has been a one shot kill.
Can't complain about that and the RSI is one of my all time favorite rifles.
Paul B.

PJ, when you relieved the cap did you leave a little gap all around the barrel so the barrel is not resting on the metal at all?

My diploma is a DD214
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I did on Bud's rifle. Shoots 1.5 groups with most any factory load. Kicks a bit, as mentioned - but then neither Bud nor I tend to shoot from the shoulder more than once, followed by an "off-hand" insurance shot from a few inches or feet abit later, as needed.

It is a delight to carry and a beauty to the eye.

All my guns are ugly..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seafire
I'd jump on it myself...

Just throwing this little bit of info out there, but this thread is almost TWO years old

Life is just one damned thing after another
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"PJ, when you relieved the cap did you leave a little gap all around the barrel so the barrel is not resting on the metal at all?"

Yes. But only a very slight gap. Same thing along the sides.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.