Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Rifle

not to get back on subject but let us know how R19 works for you.

we've played alot with r22 with 140 gr and like it alot.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A 6.5mm 140gr Sierra Gameking or Pro-Hunter started at 2600 fps from a 6.5x55 does indeed perform markedly different than a .277" 130gr Sierra started at 3100 from a 270 Win. Of these two loads, the Swede load is more reliable when the bullet encounters heavy muscle and bone. This is fact based on personal experience. The full-loaded 270 is hard on lightly constructed bullets. To say there is something inherrently wrong with the 270 is folly. OTOH, the higher the velocity, the more critical bullet selection becomes regardless the name on the cartridge headstamp.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
raybass--

"What Bob is saying (and I am backing up) is that if you've had really miserable experiences on a handful of deer with the .270 the problem lies somewhere other than the cartridge and its bullets."

Gee, I thought that's what I was saying too! Maybe I'm not much good at this writing thing....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
IF you READ What I said..............I had trouble and could not get the problem fixed. I did not say the 270 was a pos. I tried differet bullets and the stuff we all do to fix a problem. "I" personally could NOT find the answer I was looking for and I switched guns. NO WHERE did I asked to be reamed . NOW go back and look.... people are siding with BOB and they admit they never even read the post !! ???? The 270 killed every animal I pulled the trigger on. I ate every animal I killed with it. At the time the 270 thing was going on, I was trapping for a living. If I didn't kill it, we went hungry. I don't know about you guys but a hungry wife and 2 kids is unacceptable. You guys are quick to back ol' Bob up on this deal but none of you have come up with an answer to why I was having problems ?? It was a nice gun... light to carry, pointed good... I just could not get it to do what I wanted. Why is this Swed killing everything in sight ?? I don't really know and I don't care. It is and I am going to keep eating deer that I don't have to trail down. As far as having crabs, my son lives in Alaska. I love mine steamed and dunked in butter. If you ever get to Anchorage, you have to go to Guenny's restaruant. MOSTEST GOODEST FOOD AT A FAIR PRICE !! But you better get a reservation. As far as needing a 270 and an 06 ... Why both ?? According to you guys it is the same gun ??? The answer to that one is.... because he wants them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
ackley, I don't think these boys are "backing me up",so much as saying they have observed the same things I have.

I know these folks are pretty experienced with the 270,along with a bunch of other cartridges. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
CHIPM....
WHERE in my post does it say the deer did not die ??? ???
I' will wait.... go read my post. ???? I SAID I did not like trailing them down. By some posters standard a 100 yard trail job is expected and just a plain JOY of life. It freakes me out to have to trail a deer 100 yards. And to have one run 300 will cause me sleepless nights. In my whole life I have lost 2 deer. One with a 243... a bad hit and one with my bow. I called a good but the thing just quit bleeding and was gone. Can I track or do I give up on a trail too soon ?? The funniest joke on my tracking ability has to be the doe I blood tracked for almost 2 miles. She came in behind me and it was a quick shot but in my minds eye I thought I had hit her. There was some snow on the ground and I had blood specks so I stayed on the trail till the trail was lost in a cedar jungle choaked with multifloral rose brush. I couldn't figure out what had just happened so I went back and looked at the start of the blood trail. I think I missed her but it scared hell out of her and she ran into a tree giving her a bloody nose. I trailed a deer with a nose bleed for almost two mile. I spent 3 days trying to find the bow loss. Still think about the bow loss.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ackley,

No one is doubting your tracking ability. But you have stated that deer, specifically when hit with .277 bullets have gone farther than you would like and at least 1 went 300 yards.

Now I'm not a pro hunter, but I'm yet to see a lung or heart shot deer EVER go that far.

When folks use "it was a long tracking job", or "it went 300 Yards" that reeks of a gut shot deer.

In your "experience" with the .270, is it at all possible that you might have put the bullet in the paunch??

A badly hit deer will go a long way if pushed. And since you did not elabprate on your 6 or so .270 kills, what other conclusion do YOU think people with formulate?

You have yet to discuss shot angles, EXACT bullets that did not work in your opinion, etc, etc, etc...

Not a deer lives in the woods anywhere that can't be kilt with the .270 with 130gr Partition just as an example. And like I already mentioned, a bad shot is just plain and simply that and we ALL have made them. But I'm yet to blame a cartridge/rifle combo for that...

YMMV.

Last edited by CLB; 12/30/11.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ChipM
Wow, a bullet diameter from .264 to .277 to .284 and all hell breaks loose.

Me, I'm not a 270 fan either but for different reasons, I much rather prefer the far superior .280 whistle

NOW WAIT JUST A COTTON PICKIN MINUTE... grin grin

Do I see an oxymoron ? Or just hear an ordinarymoron? laugh laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Well...a man has to place his heart somewhere smile

Last edited by CLB; 12/30/11.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The only deer killed with the 270 where the bullet made it to the paunch was a full frontal shot and that deer dropped to the shot. Sierra 130s and 150s, Remington factory 130 coreloc and speer 130. All of the loads were worked for accuracy.... except the factory load.. of course. It shot well and it is a bullet that has worked well for me.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The full-loaded 270 is hard on lightly constructed bullets

So Dave...You don't like the Berger either? grinI have had nothing but good luck with 130 Sierra's on Deer out of the 270 Win even an Elk or two, but like your comment,it changed me to a stouter bullet for both Deer and Elk in the 270 on the same hunt.

But that was a long time ago when I turned Nosler when Nosler wasn't kool....The Sierra's of old may have been better/tougher than the new breed..I have no clue.

Happy New Year!!!!

Jayco

Last edited by logcutter; 12/30/11.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
First day in Wyoming,went into the barn with Bill, and saw the head and cape of a good 6x6 bull elk on the floor.

I nudged it with my boot and said to Bill, "Yours?".

"Yup",he responded.

"Nice Bull", I said."270?"

"Yup".

"Partition?"

"Nope, Sierra", he replied.

I said, "You gotta stop doing that...one of those things will bust up on you one of these days."

"Yup..........maybe". smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ackley33806
CHIPM....
WHERE in my post does it say the deer did not die ??? ???
I' will wait.... go read my post. ???? I SAID I did not like trailing them down. By some posters standard a 100 yard trail job is expected and just a plain JOY of life. It freakes me out to have to trail a deer 100 yards. And to have one run 300 will cause me sleepless nights. In my whole life I have lost 2 deer. One with a 243... a bad hit and one with my bow. I called a good but the thing just quit bleeding and was gone. Can I track or do I give up on a trail too soon ?? The funniest joke on my tracking ability has to be the doe I blood tracked for almost 2 miles. She came in behind me and it was a quick shot but in my minds eye I thought I had hit her. There was some snow on the ground and I had blood specks so I stayed on the trail till the trail was lost in a cedar jungle choaked with multifloral rose brush. I couldn't figure out what had just happened so I went back and looked at the start of the blood trail. I think I missed her but it scared hell out of her and she ran into a tree giving her a bloody nose. I trailed a deer with a nose bleed for almost two mile. I spent 3 days trying to find the bow loss. Still think about the bow loss.

I read the post and if you read mine I said a "quick death". As Bob also stated after my post, I'm not defending Bob as he could speak for himself just fine but commenting on what I have observed first hand over the last 30 yrs. This thing has gone into a black hole very quickly and maybe everyone should take a deep breath and start over.

Welcome to the fire and I'll remember your suggestion on resteraunts when I get up to Alaska someday.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by ChipM
Wow, a bullet diameter from .264 to .277 to .284 and all hell breaks loose.

Me, I'm not a 270 fan either but for different reasons, I much rather prefer the far superior .280 whistle

NOW WAIT JUST A COTTON PICKIN MINUTE... grin grin

Do I see an oxymoron ? Or just hear an ordinarymoron? laugh laugh

Jerry

Jerry,

Mine is better than what you use.. laugh laugh

I've been called worse but when it comes to 7mm's we all know they are far superior whistle laugh

Best regards and happy New Year to all

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Chip -- grin grin

.......... laugh laugh

Happy New Year

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by logcutter
The full-loaded 270 is hard on lightly constructed bullets

So Dave...You don't like the Berger either? grinI have had nothing but good luck with 130 Sierra's on Deer out of the 270 Win even an Elk or two, but like your comment,it changed me to a stouter bullet for both Deer and Elk in the 270 on the same hunt.

But that was a long time ago when I turned Nosler when Nosler wasn't kool....The Sierra's of old may have been better/tougher than the new breed..I have no clue.

Happy New Year!!!!

Jayco

Happy new year to you too, Jayco. I would still love to see a picture of this year's elk kill.

I've related this story before, so please bear with me. When I was hunting with my 270, I noticed that the bullets almost never exited. I had exactly 2 exits on probably 50 kills with the 270. The animals died because I shot them in the ribcage and my bullets went to pieces inside the chest causing total destruction of the lungs and major arteries. When I cut the diaphram everything just poured out. Incidentally, of those 50 or so animals I killed with my 270, exactly one fell dead at the shot. The others ran anywhere from 20 to 200 yards or so. I started with 130gr Sierras because they were very accurate in my M70 featherweight (5/8" groups). I also tried Speer Hot Cors and Nosler ballistic tips, the early ones with the thin jackets. I killed many head of game in those days. Then one day I stalked within about 75 yards of a buck in a heavy snow storm. I shot the buck square on the shoulder with a 130gr Sierra and he fell on the spot. Then he squirmed and wiggled his way to his feet and ran off. I figured he went a little ways and fell dead, but I was wrong. I searched that entire woodlot until I jumped the buck 4 hours later. He ran with his front leg limp and I knocked him down with a running shot to the neck. Post mortem examination showed that the first shot hit squarely on the shoulder and almost blew the leg completely off, but did not penetrate into the vitals. I'm just glad I finally caught up to the buck and killed him so he did not go to waste.

Does all this mean that the 270 is no good? Of course not! It means that I asked a bullet to perform outside of its design parameters. The failure was mine, not the caliber, or even the bullet. Now, if I had been using a 6.5x55 with 140gr bullet at 2600 fps, or a 30-06 with a 180gr bullet, or 7x57 with 175gr bullet, I believe that buck's feet would not have left the prints they were standing in at the shot. That would probably also be the result had I been using a .277" bullet constructed to withstand the high velocity of the 270 cartridge and penetrate muscle and bone reliably without blowing to little copper and lead shreads.

Never tried Bergers. Too rich for my blood.

I never killed an elk with a 270, but given your experience and that of others here, I'm sure it is a fine choice. I would bet that if we always kept our bullets in the ribcage and never asked them to penetrate through heavy muscle and bone, we could kill elk successfully with calibers much lighter than the 270. I know some here like their 25-06 for the purpose, and Ray used his 25-35 IIRC. Unfortunately, I sometimes miss the exact spot I'm aiming for (believe it or not grin ) so I tend to err on the side of bullets that want to penetrate deeply. Call me a renegade. grin

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ackley33806
CHIPM....
I SAID I did not like trailing them down. By some posters standard a 100 yard trail job is expected and just a plain JOY of life. It freakes me out to have to trail a deer 100 yards. And to have one run 300 will cause me sleepless nights.

The first deer I ever shot was in 1984 with a 270 and factory SP's from Federal. The little scrub 6pt dropped so quick I thought I'd missed. Fast forward to today and I've yet to have one in all the deer I've shot go more than 50 yards (and that one was my fault on shot placement). All others were dead on the ground within a few feet so I've never understood how some have deer run so far when the bullet is put where it should go. Maybe I've been fortunate. You said you've shot over 200 deer? What state do you live?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

I've related this story before, so please bear with me. When I was hunting with my 270, I noticed that the bullets almost never exited. I had exactly 2 exits on probably 50 kills with the 270. The animals died because I shot them in the ribcage and my bullets went to pieces inside the chest causing total destruction of the lungs and major arteries. When I cut the diaphram everything just poured out. Incidentally, of those 50 or so animals I killed with my 270, exactly one fell dead at the shot. The others ran anywhere from 20 to 200 yards or so. I started with 130gr Sierras because they were very accurate in my M70 featherweight (5/8" groups). I also tried Speer Hot Cors and Nosler ballistic tips, the early ones with the thin jackets. I killed many head of game in those days. Then one day I stalked within about 75 yards of a buck in a heavy snow storm. I shot the buck square on the shoulder with a 130gr Sierra and he fell on the spot. Then he squirmed and wiggled his way to his feet and ran off. I figured he went a little ways and fell dead, but I was wrong. I searched that entire woodlot until I jumped the buck 4 hours later. He ran with his front leg limp and I knocked him down with a running shot to the neck. Post mortem examination showed that the first shot hit squarely on the shoulder and almost blew the leg completely off, but did not penetrate into the vitals. I'm just glad I finally caught up to the buck and killed him so he did not go to waste.

Does all this mean that the 270 is no good? Of course not! It means that I asked a bullet to perform outside of its design parameters. The failure was mine, not the caliber, or even the bullet. Now, if I had been using a 6.5x55 with 140gr bullet at 2600 fps, or a 30-06 with a 180gr bullet, or 7x57 with 175gr bullet, I believe that buck's feet would not have left the prints they were standing in at the shot. That would probably also be the result had I been using a .277" bullet constructed to withstand the high velocity of the 270 cartridge and penetrate muscle and bone reliably without blowing to little copper and lead shreads.

Big Redhead, my experience had been the opposite. In all my years and deer with the 270, I've (and two other family members) have yet to catch a bullet. All have been various cup and core's that were mostly broadside or slightly quartering shots, all exiting. We've had good results with Sierra's and years my brother and I used a load with the 130 Pro Hunters before I got a chrony. According to the Sierra manual they should've been going around 2950 or so fps. We killed a lot of deer and when I did finally get a chrony, found they were going around 2700-2750, but the funny thing is they worked great at that velocity which solidified to me not to run bullets outside their design and generally they will do the job.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

Big Redhead is onto it IMHO.

I think the reason I have not experienced any difficulty killing things with a 270 (or anything else for that matter),is because the first thing my rifles get fed for a hunt is generally a Partition,or something equally tough.

Deer are generally regarded as a "soft" animal, and I agree...but the shoulders of a mature buck (which can range from 175 pounds to 400 pounds on the hoof),sets up a pretty fair amount of resistance to a high velocity bullet.This matters less at long range where velocity falls off a good deal, but can matter a lot at closer distances.

A good many folks feel a Partition is not "needed" for deer....maybe not. But I cannot recall having any deer smacked with a 270 through shoulders, at any distance, running off with a front leg swinging.This is because a 130 gr Partition will reliably bust up both shoulders of the largest deer around.

They simply do not go anywhere with such hits.My last large buck ( last year), was shot at the rear of the shoulders,spine snapped,as he ran by at about 70-80 or so yards...as the rifle recoiled I can still see his head dropping into his legs as he fell from sight.He was DOA.The bullet exited.

This is a VERY old story with Partitions,and the reason I am completely befuddled by some folks' never ending quest for the perfect deer bullet....or by 270 struck deer that run for miles and miles.

Even old timer friends without the benefit of the Internet,back in the 70's,loaded 130 gr Partitions in the 270 Win for mixed bag hunts in the Cassiars of BC.They would return home with dead bull moose, caribou, sheep, and grizzly ( yeah! grizzly! )mostly knocked off with a single shot.Theythought nothing of it all,and if you asked them was such game "tough", they'd look at you like you were an idiot.

I will bet I or anyone else on here can do exactly the same things with a 6.5/06, or 280 Rem loaded with a Partition,and hardly notice the difference between the three cartridges.

But if you keep picking BG bullets because they got little "cool" plastic tips and thin jackets that blow to smithereens,and keep using them from high velocity cartridges at moderate distances,penetration will be compromised. You will get away with it for quite awhile, but eventually, it will catch up to you.And you will wonder how little deer can take a smack, and run off.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
well i like a 270 as much as anyone else but i must say i like my 6.5-06 as much , i load rl25 in mine and it spits out a 140 partition at 3100 fps and a barnes tsx 130 at 3290 yes shot over a chrono i have a hart 1-8 twist screwed into a rem 700 action

it has shot more critters than i can think to count and shoots very accurately , i was a bit hesitant to build the first one but now have 3

works very well

i dont need a ultra mag, i know how to shoot my 30-06

having that obama sticker on your car might as well say " Yes i'm stupid "

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (16gage, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,062
Posts18,501,268
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.