-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The velocities in the Nosler book for Varget and RL 15 and 225's are spot on, my 22" custom gun gets speeds of around 2750-2770 with both powders and they don't kick too bad either. I am able to load the 225 gr Accubond with Varget out far enough that there is almost no commpresion of powder/

Gerry.
HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Energy numbers are good for paper. The heavy bullets in the bigger calibers perform much better than the paper figures indicate.

Never had an elk walk away from the Whelen that I didn't intentionally let go. And I have let a lot go. No need to work too hard when on a woods vacation.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the info guys. I'm no stranger to recoil. I figured I'd have to get used to it if I plan to carry a gun stout enough to dispatch big brown fuzzy. I've lit the fuse on a 460 WBY that a fella a few stalls down from me at the range was working up loads on for an African hunt. Talk about THUMP!

I used to have a .450 Marlin that I fired regularly with 500 gr. chunks of lead. Sold that one to help a friend. If I still had it I might not have an excuse to look for the Whelen. But hey - half the fun of being a gun owner is the excitement of the next one, right? I think I have contracted an incurable case of moregunitis.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just to be clear, I am a heavy bullet proponent myself.That is why I shoot the 220 gr RN in my .06. I'm not a big looney one on energy figures either.I just posted them fro comparison. BTW, I've let more than few walk also and never had any walk away with the.06 either

Just for grins, can someone look in that Nosler manual that has the 2800 fps for the 225's, 35 Whelen and see what it says for the 180 gr, .06.

It would be nice to compare loads from the same manual.Sort of like apples to apples.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/01/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Guys,

I could care less about a 35 Whelen.. especially after I got a 338/06 rebore on a Model 70...

but what I see here is a young man, serving our country in a hostile place, a zillion miles from home...

and what I see is an opportunity to show some appreciation by the many good folks on the forum that support our troops, especially those in harms way...

What I'd like to propose, is a fund for our young E 5 here, and have a present waiting for him when he returns home to Alaska...

I propose we pick up the tab for a new barrel in 35 Whelen to put on an action of his choice...

if he likes a Savage or Marlin Action, that would be all the easier....

I myself will start the ball rolling, and commit to $20 toward the cost of a new 35 Whelen barrel to be ordered and ready for what this young man returns home...

So whoever wants in on this project, contact me by PM...

anyone who wants to be lead on this, feel free to chime in... or I'll volunteer if no one else wants the job...

All we need from Matt here, is the specs he'd desire on his rifle barrel...

serving our country a million miles away from home and family... we'll he has more than paid for his share of this...like everyone of those boys over there that have put their lives on the line, in a hostile environment...

and Happy Safe New Year to you and all the other guys over there serving our nation Matt!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Seafire - I'm very grateful for your support, and I'm often humbled by those who express their appreciation for what I do. Especially when I think about how our veterans were treated coming home from Vietnam. So allow me to propose a slight shift in your suggestion: Instead of doing this for me, do it for one of our Vietnam era vets, who fought a battle far worse, in much more deplorable conditions than the war I'm currently in. I'll gladly participate in that project myself. Appreciation and support for their sacrifice is long overdue.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's noble of you. Either way, I'm in. Haven't helped donate a rifle in about 6 months.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have the poor mans Whelen in the H&R, Love the round and its performace and loved the price at $165

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
Seafire - I'm very grateful for your support, and I'm often humbled by those who express their appreciation for what I do. Especially when I think about how our veterans were treated coming home from Vietnam. So allow me to propose a slight shift in your suggestion: Instead of doing this for me, do it for one of our Vietnam era vets, who fought a battle far worse, in much more deplorable conditions than the war I'm currently in. I'll gladly participate in that project myself. Appreciation and support for their sacrifice is long overdue.

sorry Matt... you're elected guy...its new years and this is right...

I missed being sent to Vietnam by the skin of my teeth.. my old man didn't... he spent 49 months total over there flying C 130s and F4s in the Air Force...

I myself was an Army Medic... we know what you young guys are going thru over there...

we Vietnam era vet types are doing just fine...we are passing on the baton is all...

I am sure the rig would mean a lot to you... and it will also mean a lot to we older vets to make it happen for a young guy...

when you hit our age, maybe you'll understand more..

It is a low expense with small contributions from a batch of guys...So let us know what you are interested in.. what kind of action you'd enjoy this being made on...

on the Campfire part we already have some talented people ready to jump in on this, when I just posted it a few hours ago...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
LOL, thanks Seafire. It does mean a lot. And I'm not as young as you might think. I enlisted rather late in life. I got all the grandpa jokes in BCT, at the age of 31. I'll be hitting 38 in 10 days. I feel younger than I am though, if that makes any difference. ;-)

If ya'll are going to insist on this, the stainless Marlin XL7 '06 is the action I was planning to use. I already have one in '06 and I love it. They are inexpensive, but very well made with a smooth action, adjustable trigger and far more accurate than the price suggests.

I hadn't decided yet on whether to have the factory barrel re-bored or have the action re-barreled. I understand Savage barrels might work in the Marlin action. Ya'll can pretty much decide how to build it. The majority of you probably know more about custom rifle building than I do anyway.

I don't really know what to say here. I've never had anyone offer to build me a rifle before. Here I am brand-new to the forum, just came here on the advice of a friend to pick some of your brains on the 35 Whelen and two days later I'm choosing an action for a rifle that fellow veterans have offered to build for me. I just hope I can someday re-pay your kindness.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Matt,

just pass it on to a fellow vet someday...

why don't we just get a new barrel for you.. that way you can keep or sell the original one.. you can make a switch rifle for a Marlin or Savage.. in case of the details we can clue you in on the logistics...

what we need to know is what you desire as far as:

1. Barrel Length
2. Twist Rate
3.barrel contour
4. I assume we are looking at the Marlin/Savage style receivers?

Let me know that and we can make it happen...

When are you scheduled to be back in the world/ stateside?
just so we can get this scheduled for you...

you can contact me via PMs to give me the details..

best regards
john chr.

PS welcome to the forum also... some of us guys do this type of stuff when we can...you'll find a lot of great people on 24 Hr Campfire...

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
PM on the way... Thanks again!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Careful, last time Seafire did one of these he eventually asked the guy for some pics of his sister, and mother...........grin

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Careful, last time Seafire did one of these he eventually asked the guy for some pics of his sister, and mother...........grin

Yeah, and you still owe me those pictures Steelie!

My mail box has still been empty! but I understand, you getting married and buying a retirement piece of property and such...( congrats by the way!) you've just been busy...

and don't try that picture of Ingwe in drag routine like ya did to the last guy.. I'm wise to that one... grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hard to compare apples to apples in some of these manuals.

Originally Posted by saddlesore

Just for grins, can someone look in that Nosler manual that has the 2800 fps for the 225's, 35 Whelen and see what it says for the 180 gr, .06.

It would be nice to compare loads from the same manual.Sort of like apples to apples.

I don't have the Nosler manual. But I just looked at the Sierra Manual. It lists velocities for the 30'06 and the 35 Wh with a 26" barrels! Not sure how realistic that is for what most guys will be shooting. But here goes regardless.

30'-06
180 gn RN C.O.L. 3.200 2800 fps with IMR4831 and H4831SC and a few others
220 gn RN C.O.L. 3.270 2500 fps with IMR4831 and H4831SC

35 Wh
225 gn Sp Pt C.O.L. 3.250 2700 fps with VVN140 2650 with IMR 4895
No 250 gn bullets listed.

Wonder if some of the differences in freebore between the RN bullets and Spire Pt will results in faster published velocities with the Nosler manual.

I have a 35 Wh.Imp. but haven't used it all that much. Last time I chronographed the loads I was using I got about 2950 fps average with a 200 gn bullet Rem Soft Pt. Never did trust that chronograph much though. I have a different one now. But I haven't checked the loads through the newer one.

Steve

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm in on the tab.

Semper Fi.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
B
B

Last edited by btm_54; 01/07/12.

Regards,
btm_54
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a Remington auto-loader in 35 Whelen. Then sent it to Michigan for MagnaPort process. It shoots very easily with zero muzzle jump. Recoil is moderate for such a mighty cartridge. Accurasy is an honest 2 inch group at 100 yards.

Have not hunted with this rifle, yet.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1lesfox, 21, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 15,211 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,181
Posts18,543,202
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.