Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKHntr
Up here they are treated just like you guys do with Snake Bites. Cut a X on the boil and have your best friend suck it out.

I would hate to be the best friend of 284LUVR ex MIL.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Had one on my neck when I was about 18. It started like an inflamed pimple, or ingrown hair, and just kept growing (up inside my hairline). The thing just kept growing, and getting more tender, until the day I had ENOUGH. Grabbing it between my thumb and 2 fingers, I squeezed until it broke open - mucho pain, and INSTANT relief (ever heard the phrase "That hurts so good)? I was facing away from a stock trailer, and the stuff splattered over about a 3 foot circle from 18 inches! My only regret was, I put up with the damm thing for so long!
Lance it!
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CherokeeMike
Oh, no! I started out this new year with a clean mind and a clear conscience. Then I made the mistake of reading the comments to Hubert's question. Although I've tried my best to resist, here goes my contribution. Eye bleach, white noise, and videos of lambs being slaughtered will be available after reading the following:

For Halloween the little boy filled his mouth with mayonnaise and smeared ketchup over his face. Each house he visited they would ask him what he was supposed to be.

He would squeeze his cheeks, spitting out mayonnaise, and say, "I'm a boil."

(This year is shot! Maybe my resolve to be good will last a little longer in 2013.)

We used Mashed Potatoes,.....

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Oh, no! I started out this new year with a clean mind and a clear conscience. Then I made the mistake of reading the comments to Hubert's question. Although I've tried my best to resist, here goes my contribution. Eye bleach, white noise, and videos of lambs being slaughtered will be available after reading the following:

For Halloween the little boy filled his mouth with mayonnaise and smeared ketchup over his face. Each house he visited they would ask him what he was supposed to be.

(This year is shot! Maybe my resolve to be good will last a little longer in 2013.)

get your ass off this post, as it is obvious you don't have a clue.

back in the day, boils were life threatening. how to best deal with them was a very valuable treatment or capacity.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

WHOA, did you get skunked on the KOTY award, or something, ....?

Get you ass over to yer' BONG and STFU, Space alien.

GTC

Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

get your ass off this post, as it is obvious you don't have a clue.

back in the day, boils were life threatening. how to best deal with them was a very valuable treatment or capacity.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Hot compresses as often as you can stand 'em until it comes to a point and opens. Antibiotics don't do a thing until the abscess opens. Sometimes pain meds are necessary, in the event of a boil in the nether regions (apologies to 284LUVR's ex-MIL!!!)

But I gotta say, there is little in emergency medicine more satisfying than opening, draining, and packing a real nasty boil. Patients don't care for it much, of course...
laugh
Doc, I went to my family doctor for a abcess. A little local anesthetic, a little cutting, and lots of expressing. Took about forty minutes. Medicare paid him...13 dollars.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Saw this in a Clint Eastwood movie. He's caught this bad guy and is goingto take him to jail. Guy claims he can't ride his horse
'cause he can't sit down. Clint straps him across his saddle, pulls down his pants, cuts the boil open, then drinks most of the whisky out of a bottle then lights the rest of the whisky to create a vaccum, slaps it on the open boil. Suction pulls the core out with a loud "thunk". They always take that part out when they show that movie on TV.

Last edited by websterparish47; 01/02/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had one on my inner thigh about a week ago, got home from work and the pain was intolerable. Lanced it with my Spyderco after washing it good in alcohol. Made the mistake of squeezing it while standing over the bathroom rug. I owe mama a new rug, when that thing let loose the blood and puss went flying. Better to do it in the shower stall or bathtub, would have made cleaning it up easier.

H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
This 300 lb woman had a boil on her Taint. she went to the DR and he lanced it and started sucking it out, she suddenly let a big fart, he Jumped back and said what are you trying to do make me sick? eek

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Scotty
Originally Posted by AKHntr
Up here they are treated just like you guys do with Snake Bites. Cut a X on the boil and have your best friend suck it out.

I would hate to be the best friend of 284LUVR ex MIL.
284 could earn some points there.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, this can get pretty gross!

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Shortmag

Nice!

The future of America's healthcare. laugh

For a meth addict she seemed to know what she was doing.

This one is a slower one but a testimonial for the anesthetic properties of beer, the importance of sharp surgical instruments, and an audience of your peers...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FusrI6ae0dw

Embed anyone?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
When coke bottles were good heavy glass, the trick was to heat the empty bottle, place it over the boil, and let it cool. The vac. would suck the junk out.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Jim if you will keep Mentholatum heaped on it...it will draw out the puss,alieve some of the pain and/or bring it to a head.Use a large bandaid or or Gauze pad to keep it on a night while you sleep. My brother gets them often and says thet are as painful as anything he's ever had. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 01/02/12.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Make sure it's not staph. I had what I thought was a 'boil' that ended up being a staph infection, nasty [bleep], MRSA even more so.
Couldn't agree more. MRSA moves fast and both can kill you. I have treated both and they are not fun. Clindamycin is a good start in killing the staph or MRSA and then come the joys of packing and unpacking the abscess for the next 2 weeks.

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MRSA!

P and M were going to come see me in ICU after they'd done some shopping at Lowe's. But something tickled P's mind as they approached Lowe's � "Go see Ken now," so they reversed the order of their schedule.

In my room, P found me unresponsive � unconscious, gasping, dying. He notified the nurse who sat at a monitor outside. "Dr Howell is unresponsive." "Oh, he's all right," she said, unperturbed. "He was checked only thirty minutes ago."

P went down the hall, to the nurses' station, where several people were talking. "Who's in charge here?" "I am," a man (doctor) said. P told him "Dr Howell, in room 123, is unresponsive."

The doctor, alarmed, rushed to my room, and before long, I was on a gurney on my way to ER, where I lay in a coma for several days.

Thus began my long affair with MRSA, souvenir of recent grammatical surgery, and we danced a while. It'd be a long time, a lot of antibiotics, and months in a couple of nursing homes before we broke-off the affair.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MRSA is a good reason NOT to use anti-bacterial soaps. On the one hand, bacteria can become immune to the anti-biotic in the soaps and on the other hand, anti-bacterial soaps are non-specific, killing pretty much all bacteria, even beneficial bacteria. Because there are no competing bacteria left, you are wide open to complete colonization by whatever bacteria you come in contact with next.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Shortmag

That's not a "boil", or furuncle. It's a huge sebaceous cyst.

The "surgeon" here isn't doing him any favors by opening and draining it, really. The shell of the cyst needs to be excised, which in this case is going to be a fairly lengthy procedure because the damn thing is so big. Now that she's drained the cyst he'll need to let it heal up for a few weeks before excision can be attempted. It's a LOT easier to remove the cyst when it's chock-full of gunk.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BarryC
MRSA is a good reason NOT to use anti-bacterial soaps. On the one hand, bacteria can become immune to the anti-biotic in the soaps and on the other hand, anti-bacterial soaps are non-specific, killing pretty much all bacteria, even beneficial bacteria. Because there are no competing bacteria left, you are wide open to complete colonization by whatever bacteria you come in contact with next.

MRSA (and other antibiotic-resistant bacteria) is thought to be a result of the unregulated use of antibiotics by agriculture. Using antibacterial soaps isn't a real strong contributor to the problem, but you're right, it's best to use regular soap for most of your cleaning needs. We're seeing a lot more MRSA in tattoo infections in the past 5 years or so, FWIW.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Likely not a "boil" but a epidermoid cyst. See your doctor. There are various treatment methods.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 56 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.