Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
What's the consensus (if there can be one) on which of these is the better M-70 clone? They look pretty close from what I can gather. I've owned a Dakota rifle with M-76 action, never handled an MRC. The Dakota appears to be a precision Pre-64 M-70 clone with refinements, such as the bolt release. It seems more precisely machined and finished than Pre-64 M-70's.

I would appreciate insight from those who have compared these and how they stack up with the original.

DF

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The Montana is a kit receiver. Be prepared to pay your smith to square it up and clean it up. The Dakota is much superior.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Having owned both, I agree with Butch.

No comparison, the Dakota is nicer, better finished, and more refined.

The Montana is a nice enough action, but not in the same class as the Dakota (at least of early, Don Allen days, production).

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks guys. That's what I was looking for.

I know Dakota's are great, just never fooled with a MRC.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have had a pair of Dakota's and they are very nice actions. I liked them both a great deal.They functioned very nicely.

I have to admit,though,that I do not care for the bolt release at all,and prefer a M70 from that standpoint.Looking at it in the open position,I can't help but wonder how easily it could get bent in rough field use,and then it may not work all that well.

I think if I were doing it,I'd get a M70 Classic and turn it over to a really good smith and give it the full treatment.JMHO.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The Dakota 76 is a machined steel action that is smooth and precision built I have a couple in my safe they are very close to the quality of Winchester m70 custom shop rifles quality is superior to any off the shelf factory production product. The Montana action is cast by Ruger or used to be, is built strong with good features it is no where as smooth as Dakota. Serengetti rifles are built on the Montana action. I suggest you find some one in your area with both and compare. The Dakota action is sold through Brownells around $2,000 the MRC used to be around $500 but now has doubled. Personally I'd spring the money differance do it right and be done with it with no regrets. BobinNH has an excellent suggestion about the Winchester M70 I Have three from the custom shop I know I'am sick. A quality gunsmith is usually pretty booked with a lot of wait time and not cheap. The best option is to find an already built custom rifle on the gun auction sites and save time and money. Best Regards
Charles

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a 1st year 76 in 7 Rem Mag, it's a really nice rifle. I actually like the Dakota bolt release better than a M70.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have and use most of the actions being talked about. The only one I can't recommend is the Montana Mod.1999. I have one that was put together by the now defunct Serengeti outfit; I like the stock a lot, but the action is rough and took way too much work to square up. But that another story. Until recently my favorite action has been the pre-64 Mod.70's, but of late I can't bring my self to cut up one of the old rifles and just actions are hard to find and the Dakota's are too expensive. Because of these reasons I'm throwing in with those that are using current Mod. 70's.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I owned one MRC 1999 stainless and wouldn't care to own another. Rough, wouldn't feed right unless cycled very briskly.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
I have a 1st year 76 in 7 Rem Mag, it's a really nice rifle. I actually like the Dakota bolt release better than a M70.

Until it gets bent...then you might not like it so much. frown

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by gahuntertom

Until it gets bent...then you might not like it so much. frown

How would you bend one? Especially in the field?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bump it, drop it;in the open position...hell I dunno.How do you trip and fall or have food fall off a fork?

Happened to a friend....he couldn't close the thing.Shidt happens.

Minor point maybe,and I like the action,but in picking nits over knats,and at $2k a copy it's a small reason I'd stick with a M70.After being gone over by a good smith,I can't tell the difference between it and a Dakota.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Bump it, drop it;in the open position...hell I dunno.How do you trip and fall or have food fall off a fork?

Happened to a friend....he couldn't close the thing.Shidt happens.

Minor point maybe,and I like the action,but in picking nits over knats,and at $2k a copy it's a small reason I'd stick with a M70.After being gone over by a good smith,I can't tell the difference between it and a Dakota.

Bob,

Honestly- you are WAY of base on this one. Have you ever actually COMPARED both bolt stop designs?

The m70 has a STAMPED SHEET METAL ejector/bolt stop.

The Dakota is a MILLED part that is about twice as thick..

If your "friend" managed to [bleep] up a Dakata Bolt stop, God only knows what he could do to an M70 bolt stop.

If a Dakota bolt stop failed in any way it was a QC flaw in that individual part, not because of the design.

Last edited by jim62; 01/04/12.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a CZ model 3 in 300 wsm that is a MRC 1999 built under contract for CZ. I happen to love the rifle but it is true that early MRC actions were shipped in the rough for your gunsmith to finish. The new actions are supposedly shipped in a much more finished state requiring less finish work on your end. Are they as good as a Dakota? Definitely not, but for the money they are probably equal to a worked over FN M70 IMO.

Also Serengeti rifles just changed their name (with new owners) to Kilimanjaro. They have always used whatever action you specified but had their own worked over MRC 1999 that was an option.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd stick with a M70.After being gone over by a good smith,I can't tell the difference between it and a Dakota.

What might that run a guy from a smith who really knows what he's doing. What are, in your opinion, all the things that need attention, replacement, refinishing (if that's needed also)............Really Bob cause I know you'vve said this before, and believe it or not, I respect your opinion(s). I'm just talking action work for a dead reliable field gun, not a safe queen. Not talking Echols type/level of work or prices. Give me an honest and realistic price range.

Thanks Bob and Happy New Year.....

Roy

ps..My buddy with the Ranger (21 Ft w/ 250 VMAX) just bought a house on Champlain (South Hero Island) in the "Gut". Maybe in the spring we could all hook up.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
jim: He hit it the wrong way when it was in the open position.He bent it somehow.....I dunno what he did to it. I do know it didn't work.

That wasn't the only issue for me...I just don't care for the bolt stop very much. Other than that, the Dakota is a nice action. Like I said I've owed two...

RD: I don't have a laundry list and don't really want to even think about it.But If I'm gonna dump $2k in an action, I'd rather take a M70 Classic, turn it over to Simillion or Penrod,and have them go over and redo the whole thing.

This isn't about what's better necessarily...it's about how I want to spend two grand....when Gene or Penrod gets done with a M70 Classic, it's every bit as good as any Dakota.

I'm not talking safe queens either.....hunting rifles is what. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/04/12.

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Top gunsmiths will charge you $2000-3500 strictly for labor, you supply and pay seperateley for all components and that does not include any embellishments strictly 100% field performance dependable working gun. When you spend $700 on a used crf Winchester with paper works fees then add all components desired you will spend $5k easy and $6500 more like it. Quality gunsmiths will take two to three years to finish and some five years. If you have a local gunsmith that knows his way around a crf action and approve of his work and is not well known meaning not booked for years with high paying clients you could end up cutting cost by half. You still have wait time. I still think if you are selective with internet gun auctions you will find a custom or semi custom to your liking whether it's a Winchester or a Dakota in the condition and price that suits you and run with it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
MLF,

not sure I agree with all of your time assessments. Redneck here redid my M70 and it is 100% functional and it neither cost what you estimated nor did it take that long. Afterall, there are only so many pieces to the puzzle which is the M70.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Bob and I knew you were talking nunting actions. Figured Mark was om yout short list. So, we're talking 2 G's roughly. Believe it or not cause I bust on ya so much, I do like then Classic action, if nothing else from a looks appeal. Sounds like the basics are there and a good desigh, just just need work to bring them up to snuff.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RD: Yeah it's all about where you want to put the money...MLF is right in the post above you about cost,and and looking for a complete rifle used.....

I rarely build anymore, the Mashburn by Gene on the Classic being the exception because I wanted it to turn out "just so",because I plan to use it a lot;in truth I need little more than that.

But I have enjoyed the Dakota's I've had and shoulda kept the early one in 30/06.... frown it was a drill and had a nice piece of wood on it as well.

I have done lots of stupid "rifle things" crazy smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.