Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by logcutter
Is the NBT considered a plain Jane?

Just asking.

Jayco

Ya, I would consider them a 'plain jane'.... One right up there with hornady for popularity it looks like. Mabe call the NBT a 'fancy' plain jane!

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have also started hunting with all Noslers. 140 Ballistic tip in the 7mm-08 for deer and 160 Accubond in my 7mmRemMag for elk. Never had a hard time getting them to shoot well when I did my part right. Perform well on their intended targets too.

FH

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I wouldn't classify a bullet that has only been around for about 25 years designed for a specific need,a plain Jane like the "standard" Hornady/Speer and Sierra.

That would be like calling the Hornady bonded, a standard bullet.It's not!!!

Jayco

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
May favorite plain jane is the defunct Nosler Solid Base (remember them?). I have several boxes in multiple weights and calibers. That said, I use and like Speers, Hornadys, and Sierras for our Texas deer and hogs almost as well.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't classify a bullet that has only been around for about 25 years designed for a specific need,a plain Jane like the "standard" Hornady/Speer and Sierra.

That would be like calling the Hornady bonded, a standard bullet.It's not!!!

Jayco

Once again, your ignorance is apparent.

The NBT has a boat tail heel, a copper jacket with a lead core and a hollow point that is tipped by polymer.

Last I checked, Hornady, Speer, and Sierra ALL have BTs with copper jackets and lead cores. There are also hollow points available in each brand. Additionally, Winchester had a tipped bullets called Silvertips and Remington had their Bronze Points way back when.

In other words, EVERY aspect of the Nosler BT was used for bullet design YEARS before the Nosler BT was designed with the exception of the material the tip was made out of...how could that not be considered "standard"?

Last edited by bellydeep; 01/07/12.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

How do you say [bleep] you on the net without offending,big mouth?

The fact is the Nosler BT is not a plain Jane as the old bullets mentioned in the original post..It's been around how long??????????And...How many of the old plain Janes are ballistic tips?

Plain Jane means "No" Ballistic tips.."No" bonding" just plain Jane bullets of old..

Jayco

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Hornady Interlocks for me.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

How do you say [bleep] you on the net without offending,big mouth?

The fact is the Nosler BT is not a plain Jane as the old bullets mentioned in the original post..It's been around how long??????????And...How many of the old plain Janes are ballistic tips?

Plain Jane means "No" Ballistic tips.."No" bonding" just plain Jane bullets of old..

Jayco

It is a plain jane with a tip on it, and as I pointed out Winchester and Remington were tipping their bullets waaaay back in the day.

I don't see how age has anything to do with whether a bullet can be considered a plain jane or not. If Company X came out with a standard CNC bullet tomorrow, would you not considered it a plain jane bullet because it is too "new"?

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It is a plain jane with a tip on it

That was not the question,was it..He never mentioned plain janes with a tip or bonding,did he...

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think "plain jane" usually refers to a lack of controlled expansion, simply C&C bullets.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Have used many brands of the standard C/C bullets but tend to lean away from them and go back to a Bonded or a Partition. Living in the Brooks Range can be difficult if your bullet fails to penetrate properly. My experience yeilds results due to shot placement and good bullets that truly can penetrate and/or exit. I am amazed how some bullets just "splat" when moose or grizz hides are wet after just getting out of the river or lake. Suppose C/C have there place but not with me completely. This post of mine can carry on but you get the idea. For lil' game most lower state boys shoot at a standard c/c will suffice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I think "plain jane" usually refers to a lack of controlled expansion, simply C&C bullets.

This guy gets it.

Logsniffer, listen up.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Yep, simple cup/core bullets... aka plain jane, regular, standard, normal, regular soft point. Just a copper jacket housing some lead... No partitions, bonding of core, no non-monometal things.

JUST my opinion, Tips mean nothing other than a colorful, pointy addition to the general cup/core bullet....they still just a cup/core bullet!

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hornady FP's shoot great out of my 30-30. The 165gr GameKing has shot very hood out of three different 30-06s and performed great on Whitetails.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
All cup and core bullets are controlled expansion. Usually accomplished by jacket thickness,tapering of the jacket and lead hardness.
BT's have very thick jackets at the heel, in fact thicker than any standard lead, non bonded and copper bullet

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I use all that have been mentioned for general plinking, shooting and the like. I typically use what I can buy the cheapest. I have several rifles that like the 162 gr PSPBT in the 7mm Caliber. I use the for pre season shooting and plinking They have the same POA as does the 175 PT. I always check my Nolser PT's before I go out the door. With my 308's the 180 Sierra BT shoot same POA as my PT, but I always check prior to leaving. Other than that what ever is in the closest box.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
HORNADY

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Pickin' nits.....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For plain bullets, I use mostly Hornady and some Speer. I do like Nosler for semi-premium and premium.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hornady Interlocks

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (1badf350, 338rcm, 06hunter59, 2UP, 160user, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,940 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,504
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.