Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My Father passed away 6 years ago,but is still with me, especialy at Deer Camp.
Someday I hope my Grandson will tell my Story.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Powdr - I feel for ya. I lost my Dad back in 1999, probably the saddest day in my life. The details are somewhat different but the moral of the story is the same.

I was able to aquire almost 300 acres of ground that is directly across from the cabin we had. It was in our family back in the 20's and I was able to buy it back in 1993. I have many wonderful memories of this place and built my home on the knoll overlooking the creek directly across from my Dad's cabin. I can see it as I type this. Building a home on this knoll was one of my Dad's dreams that I was able to realize.

We had him creamated and buried most of his ashes up on the hill by the hunting stand I built for him as he got up in years. We also spread some of his ashes at some other places that were special to him. I had a monument made and stop up for visits throuout the year. I always tip my hat to him when I go by the site.

I cherish the memories and credit him for giving me what I call the "tools of life". He was not a college educated man but had more common sense, fairness and decency than any man I ever met. I like to think he passed some of those things down to me and they have helped me to succeed in my life. I miss him.

Time will take away some of the stinging pain but some time you will find yourself smiling and thinking pleasant thoughts when he enters your mind. I swear that I can feel his presence over my shoulder on occasion and cherish those times.

TT

Last edited by TwoTrax; 01/10/12.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bea175
Originally Posted by powdr
This is about my 50th deer season, give or take a few.Started w/my deceased Dad in 1958 in a small hill country community called Doss.It is located between Mason and Fredricksburg and at the time was a prime hunting location in Texas.My Dad paid $35 for a season lease and I can remember my Mom saying,"Oh my God how are we going to pay for it." My Dad worked for General Tire in Waco building truck tires and I can remember him saying that in 1958 he made a gross income of $5830.My Dad had to hunt on the weekends and once in a great while he would take a day of vacation to work in a 3 day hunt.My mother would give him between $5-$7 for his entire trip.That's gas and everything.He would take a sack of bologna sandwiches and usually a small pot of beans,a quart mason jar of tea, and a thermos for coffee that he would make at camp.He started this regiment in 1956 and continued it until around 1964 or so.

His rifle was an Enfield 30-06 that he bought for $12.95 and sporterized by him...mainly w/a grinder and file taking off the ears,cutting and straightening the floorplate and cutting the barrel of behind the front site.He said at the time the actions were so hard that many were almost impossible to drill so the bases had to be soldered on as a alternative.He attached a relatively inexpensive SPI scope that was sturdy scope for the time.After the gunsmith finished polishing his file work and alterations plus bluing the bill came to a little over $15.He ordered a stock from Rhinehart-Fajen for between $10 and $15...I believe $12.95. He fitted and finished it himself w/a lin speed oil concoction that left a wonderful smell in the kitchen and a beautiful finish but one that was not real shiny.I'm sure he had no more than $60 in the finished rifle.For some reason he always used a rope in his early days for a sling.He shot the 150gr Sierra w/4064 I believe and paid the gunsmith $1.50 to reload a box of shells for him.He never target practiced except the week before deer season to check zero.This was a lesson carried over from the depression where one never wasted shells.

He always hunted from an oak tree not more than 6-8ft off the ground.He would find a place to nail up a 2x6 between to limbs w/a smaller limb below to rest his feet on.Several 2x4's served as steps to get into the tree.This is how he hunted in his younger years till us boys came along.

My Dad was an excellent game shot on both running and standing deer.He killed two bucks every year I can remember from my youth.We were a family of 6 and all loved venison w/the exception of my Mother.The deer however only lasted us until about May or early June.Talk about jonesen for venison from June until November...whew!My Dad passed down a legacy to me that I will forever be grateful for.He taught his children to love God,fishing and hunting,respect for authority and their elders and family is the only thing.My Father passed away last year early in November just 3 days before his 59th big game season.I have had such a hard time getting used to "Never Again." powdr

Your father sounds like he was a great man and someone to look up to. I truly miss my father every day.

+1.

over 10 yrs and not a day goes by that i don't think of my dad multiple times every day.

-ken

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My cousin (who lives in Pennsylvania) and I own some property together -- we inherited it from our father's and it's where our family has hunted deer for the past 30 years. It's large enough that "managing" it has shown some results especially after we explained to a couple of the neighobors the consequences of trespassing and shooting a buck on the property again. My dad, who passed away 10 years ago, is buried on the property as is my uncle who died 4 years ago. There are also 4 Beagles and 3 Springer's buried in a seperate area near by.

I don't get back very often during the deer season but when I do, as the oldest, I hunt from the little elevated "house" Dad and I built a long time ago -- along side what we now call Cemetery Ridge...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I drove all night Sat night to see my Dad one last time, saw him for a short bit Sunday morn and he died. Had the service yesterday. He'll not be hiking with me but I can guarantee that he's gonna be with me.

May just have to tip over some critters this year with his 06. My Dad was kind of like Henry Ford (any color car as long as black) as Dad believed we could use any round we wanted as long as it was an .06...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sorry about your Dad Dober. His best legacy is the kind of man you are!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gracias and thx

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Dad passed away in 2009 at the age of 85. He was born in Idaho and spent his first 8 years living on a homestead there with his Mom & Dad and his 4 brothers.
Dad was raised in the outdoors. His Dad (my Grandfather) hunted to keep food on the table and to swap to the General Store for necessities. In addition, Granddad worked as a hard rock miner.
Dad heard about the attack on Pearl Harbor when he and some friends stopped in Gibbonsville, Idaho to have some lunch during an elk hunt. Three of them drove to Idaho Falls on Monday to sign up. Dad chose the Marines.
I came along in the late 50's. Mom & Dad were in their mid-30's then and I can remember Dad taking me hunting with him when I was only three. He started me shooting a little 22 when I was 4 and I shot that little gun until he borrowed a 30 carbine for me to hunt with. After several boxes of 'practice' we went on our first hunt as a pair of hunters. 47 years later, I am still an avid hunter, conservationist and outdoorsman. All because my Dad wanted a hunting buddy. He wanted someone he could teach to enjoy the outdoors the way he did. He was and is, my best friend. Most of his ashes are in a military cemetery near Fort Hood Texas. But some of his ashes made the trip with me up to Idaho to the family burial ground near Gibbonsville.
I never married and don't have any children, but I am still lucky enough to be able to pass on my love of the outdoors as taught to me by a man that infused that love in me. I have a dear friend who's father passed away about 6 months after mine did. She's only 30 and married to a wonderful man. They have a two year old son that I have 'adopted' as my 'Grandson'. Between his Father, Grandmother and myself, he's going to turn into quite a little outdoorsman.
Last year (2010) I gave him the little H&R Topper Jr. 410 that I started dove hunting with when I was 6. Though he doesn't know it yet, he'll also get my Remington 600 Mohawk 243 this next year (2012) for his Christmas present.
I feel that the best way I can honor my Dad's memory is to pass along the love and joy I feel in the outdoors. This little 2 year old boy is the target of all of that. As long as God grants me the time on this earth, I will continue to honor my best friend by passing along those things he sowed in me oh those many years ago.
I thank God that I had the Father I did and there is NO WAY that I'll ever forget the love and enjoyment he got out of taking me with him throughout his life.
To all of you who are in this same position as powdr, Mark D. and myself, remember, pass it on.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ft. Hood is only about 20 miles from me as the crow flies. Small world! powdr

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10ring1, 257 roberts, 1234, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 1lessdog, 71 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,576
Posts18,532,115
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.