Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#6004757 01/05/12
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a S&W 6906 and S&W 59. Is there anything I should be concerned with if I wanna shoot +P loads outta either one of these models?

Huntinut

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The cost? I think any decent 9mm is fine with some occasional +P. The steel Smiths are almost impossible to break, and the aluminum ones are pretty good too.

I have/had a bunch of Smith autos and never wory about +P (or +P+ for that matter) in them, but I don't have enough money to make a habit out of it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Huntinut
I have a S&W 6906 and S&W 59. Is there anything I should be concerned with if I wanna shoot +P loads outta either one of these models?

Huntinut

of course you can "get away with it", but as much as i like +p in 9mm, i don't recommend it in most guns--in my opinion, a couple of very notable exceptions are the hk usp, and to a little lesser extent the hk p7.

the p7 is all steel, very strong, and has a cylinder/piston system to lock the slide, some propellent gas is "vented" back into the porthole and chamber area when the pill leaves the spout--in my judgement this all helps--been using it going on almost 25 years--a gas retarded blowback...

the usp was built to handle the pressures generated by the 40 s&w from the beginning, so the 9mm persuasion can stand the gaff. (in my estimation the ruger p95 is robust enough, and the glocks can take somewhat of a lickin too...)

in general, i think it is wise to avoid +p use in aluminum frame rigs--i saw a pilgrim once who shot +p in his taurus 9mm, and when he removed the slide, the top of the frame on both sides above the dust cover looked like someone chewed up the aluminum frame with the jaws of a pliers--and slide movement was so brisk his rear sight took a vacation too...

plastic frames have some flex to help mitigate this--and when they are expressly designed to "take it", like the usp is--there's no happier marriage to be had.

your rigs will work just fine for you with standard pressure loads.

treat those rigs right and they will treat you right--especially when you need them, now...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Like Hi Vel says. I carry +P in my S&W M&P, but drop back to normal 9mm JHP in my 3913.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
More info is just what I wanted. These are not something I'd shoot to plink with, yeah cost is a great motivator, but like to keep them loaded for home defense.

Huntinut

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...been shooting CorBon 9mm +P 115s out of a 6906 for years and have seen no degrading of accuracy or unusual ware. For what the high performance rounds cost the few boxes a year most people put through a gun isn't go to hurt anything. Just make sure your recoil and main springs are up to speed...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slightly different but.... my Wifes 60's vintage Colt Cobra aluminum framed 38 special is definately NOT rated for Plus P, but that is what is in it when she carries it. All practive is done with milld loads. If 6 rounds of plus P ruin the gun, so be it, that will be a cost I will happily pay if she has to draw and fire her weapon.

Run regular 9mm in your guns except to confirm function and for SHTF carry.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The difference in velocity for +P just isn't anything to write home about in 9mm. Best case is an extra 100fps and I just don�t see that making any difference on live targets, but some are convinced it does make a meaningful difference. You�re trading penetration for a tiny bit more expansion; personally I�d rather have the penetration.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I shoot standard pressure 9mm and don't feel that the small velocity gain of +p in this cartridge means enough to worry about.
I concentrate on practice and shot placement.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The difference in velocity for +P just isn't anything to write home about in 9mm. Best case is an extra 100fps and I just don�t see that making any difference on live targets, but some are convinced it does make a meaningful difference. You�re trading penetration for a tiny bit more expansion; personally I�d rather have the penetration.
I disagree. I've seen expansion tests where the extra fps made all the difference in the bullet opening up. This was even more dramatically demonstrated in +p+. Perhaps somebody will relate this to pressure figures as I don't have that data at my fingertips. IMO, you want to get a well-constructed hollowpoint up to about 1250 fps minimum. If reloading, this can be done with some powders keeping pressures down to the +p realm, but usually the velocity is considered +p+. That's what I try to do. All practice is done with cheaper bullets at similar velocities though, so as to simulate the recoil you'll be dealing with. My ammo in a gun such as a Kel Tec P9, is pretty brutal.

The caveat here is this was more true fifteen or twenty years ago and bullet construction has advanced considerably. I haven't seen the evidence though, assuring me that you can get away with standard pressure loads producing the ultra-violent expansion needed to make the 9 into a reliable stopper. And IMO, the 9 needs to expand impressively, whereas this is not as true with larger diameter stuff.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Perhaps somebody will relate this to pressure figures .

It's late and I'm lit but I believe the difference in SAAMI pressure between normal and +P is on the order of 10%. I don't think that is enough to really hurt anything. I'll look it up tomorrow.

Looked it up: 9mm 35,000 psi, 9mm+P 38,500 psi. 10% bump on the nose.

Last edited by RufusG; 01/07/12.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RufusG
It's late and I'm lit but I believe the difference in SAAMI pressure between normal and +P is on the order of 10%. I don't think that is enough to really hurt anything. I'll look it up tomorrow.

Wow. Sounds like the kind of difference you would get simply shooting on a hot day in the desert.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Now figure the % increase of the velocity and see if you think it's worth it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Plinker

Wow. Sounds like the kind of difference you would get simply shooting on a hot day in the desert.
Yup. Then if you shoot the +P on a hot day you maybe get 20%. Add in +P+...etc.

IMO hot 9's are da bomb. Even moreso if you shoot them in dainty little guns not designed for them.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I'm packed for a trip and the thumb drive with the SAAMI Standard on it is too hard to get at, but it lists the reference velocities for those loads and I am thinking it was maybe 100 fps, which to me is worth it. I'll check the numbers in a day or two.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Don't know much about the 6906's, but the 59's aren't very tough guns. Saw a number of them have problems with hot surplus ammo back in the 70's. I would not under any circumstance hand load hot for one.
I'm with Kevin on this. The 9mm with a good bullet is plenty. If you have any doubts, test them on large jugs of water and see what you think. Over the years, I've seen lots of handguns, even tough ones, break down from guys that have to have more than they were designed for. If you need more performance, buy a gun chambered for a hotter cartriage. E

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
+P is about the same pressure as European 9mm or 9mm NATO. Glocks and the like have no problems with it. I use it for carry but don't shoot +P range ammo in it.

Last edited by UPhiker; 01/08/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Don't know much about the 6906's, but the 59's aren't very tough guns. Saw a number of them have problems with hot surplus ammo back in the 70's. I would not under any circumstance hand load hot for one.

Was the ammo +P, +P+, or do you even know? What other guns were shot with it and what happened to them? What were the "problems"? This is the kind of "I was there" internet BS that's so vague it adds nothing of value to the discussion at hand. In reality, the Smith 59XX guns have a reputation as one of the toughest most durable semiautos ever. People dislike them because they're a heavy chunk of forged steel, thoroughly overdesigned for 9mm. My personal experience mirrors that, including shooting some ammo that was probably +P+.

I'm with Kevin on this. The 9mm with a good bullet is plenty. If you have any doubts, test them on large jugs of water and see what you think.

Just because it's plenty enough for you and you're not comfortable with +P has no bearing at all on whether someone else should use it. Maybe water jugs are tougher elsewhere.

Over the years, I've seen lots of handguns, even tough ones, break down from guys that have to have more than they were designed for.

What is your basis for implying that 9mm handguns are not designed for +P? Do you even know what manufacturers recommend regarding +P loads (you might be surprised)? So you've seen guns damaged. Do you know it was from +P?

If you need more performance, buy a gun chambered for a hotter cartriage. E

Why? Instead of using the best performing ammo for your gun, buy another gun? Not sure how you managed to fit so much BS and irrelevance into one post, but you deserve an award. And you did it without providing even one tidbit relevant to the discussion at hand.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

The difference in the reference velocities between standard and +P for a 115 JHP is 90 fps. To me, that's worthwhile. YMMV.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RufusG - Dispite your opinins, most 9mm's are NOT designed with +P in mind but have been upgraded to accomodate. I HAVE seen 9mm handguns damaged from 9mm +P's. The cracked slides on Beretta's were all due to NATO pressure 9mm which is a pressure standard that came along after the Beretta 92 series were designed and engineered. Some guns shrug it off with no problems at all, some don't fare so well. Regardless, ALL guns will have accelerated wear with +P vs. standard pressure; that's just plain physics. As to whether 90fps means something, I guess you and I disagree on that one. I've never seen the man or beast that 90fps made the difference.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,719 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,714
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.