Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
For you guys that have Sako rifles, in particular a Sako L61R.....what 30mm rings and bases do you recommend? I'm wanting to go the Talley route, but the bases do not have any "peg" underneath them that slide up into the Sako dual dovetail rail slot. Is that a problem/big deal? I'd love to have the old original Sako 30mm rings, as I have the same in a 1" size on there now. I'm wanting to mount a 30mm scope. Any ideas?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Buddy of mine has a Sako Finnlight in .300 WSM with the Talley 30mm rings/bases. Don't know if it is the exact same kind you are describing but he's had no issues with losing Zero and that damn thing kicks like a mule.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You may want to find some vintage mounts for your Finnbear, but I greatly like these when ring offset is not required. They are absolutely rock solid.

[Linked Image]

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think the Optilock ringmount is the most solid option.The only issues I have with them is that you have to be very careful not to strip the screws.The heads are very soft.They are also higher than I like to use as I like smaller objective scopes.They would be about right for a 50mm objective if you are going that direction.I do really like the plastic inserts for self aligning and no ring marks.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GaryVA
You may want to find some vintage mounts for your Finnbear, but I greatly like these when ring offset is not required. They are absolutely rock solid.

[Linked Image]

I'd love to find the vintage 30mm, but as you know they are hard to find. Love the optilocks on my Tikka 695 too.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I think the Optilock ringmount is the most solid option.The only issues I have with them is that you have to be very careful not to strip the screws.The heads are very soft.They are also higher than I like to use as I like smaller objective scopes.They would be about right for a 50mm objective if you are going that direction.I do really like the plastic inserts for self aligning and no ring marks.

The heads are not soft at all, the ring cap screws take 15 in-lb torque and the clamp screws take 45 in-lb torque without any hint of a blemish. You can loosen and re-torque the clamp screws over and over again to remove and replace the scope and not see a single blemish on the screw head. The clamp screw has the same head as the action screws and they are torqued 55-57 in-lb without a single blemish. The only way I can see to mess it up would be to use a bad fitting torx bit and/or grossly over-torque the screw. In addition, don't see how you can get much lower or would want to get much lower than these new optilock 1 pc-ringmounts, especially when you consider that the base is made into the ringmount. I'm using a straight tube scope, and when I shoulder the rifle, the center of the scope tube is dead-on with my line of sight. If the mounts were much lower, I'd need to crook my head and stock crawl to bring down my line of sight to match. Personally, I'd not want to do that.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/09/12.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
GaryVA, where'd you get the OL's you posted the pic of? Lows or Mediums for a 42mm obj?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can get them from places like Brownell's, Beretta, Eurooptics, etc. The 1-pc Ringmounts only come in LOW which are lower than the 2-pc Base/Mount EXTRA LOW. If I'm reading the chart correctly, you should be okay for height. What you need to worry about is ringspacing and any need for ring offset to have proper eye relief. It works perfectly for my combination, but you'd need to make sure straight up ringmounts would work for the ringspacing needs of your combination.

I still think vintage mounts would be well suited for a Finnbear.

Good Luck smile

- Clint Eastwood
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Once again, I agree on the vintage. If you get a lead on some 30mm please let me know, if your not interested of course.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
GaryVA
Maby Sako is doing a better job with the screws on the ringmounts.All my experience has been with the two piece optilocks.I shouldn't have assumed that the screws would be the same.I had many problems with the two piece screws not only being excessivly soft but poor enough machining that the same bit would fit with a different tollerence into each screw head.They did work but they were nothing like the high quality torx screws I have used on other mounts.

I'm glad to hear about the Optilock ringmounts as I am about to pick up a set.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,410
Posts18,470,373
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.