Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm in the market for a light AR in 308/7.62. I think I have narrowed it down to two models, Armalite 10A4 and Bushmaster MOE. They are about the same weight and same price. Any opinions? I like accuracy, accuracy and reliability.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would choose the Armalite over the Bushmaster. But I'm a biased Armalite AR-10 owner.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by silver78
I would choose the Armalite over the Bushmaster. But I'm a biased Armalite AR-10 owner.

Any reason other than that's what you own?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't have any experience with those particular models but unfortunately have a lot of experience with other Bushmasters and think they are junk. For that reason I would say buy the Armalite.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AKJD
I don't have any experience with those particular models but unfortunately have a lot of experience with other Bushmasters and think they are junk. For that reason I would say buy the Armalite.

OK, this is what I need to hear(read). Can you be more specific, what do you mean by "Junk".

Thanks

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this Armalite has since lost its muzzle brake, and gained a free float tube, but it still shoots this well:

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have experience with 19 Bushmaster Dissipator Rifles that were purchased to be patrol rifles. We had to send 9 of them back to the factory because of headspace problems. Not enough headspace was causing FTE problems. None of them had the carrier keys staked and several were loose out of the box. 3 had serious gas leakage problems at the gas block. One had the FSB mounted so far off from center that the rifle could not be zeroed. We started having bolt lugs breaking under 5000 rounds. I have replaced most of the small parts with Colt parts and replaced 6 barrels so far. It has been a struggle but with a lot of work and parts replacement they are finally reliable enough to be used.
In my opinion it is criminal that a company would let firearms out the door with that many problems that someone's life may depend on.
Bushmaster has had a reputation of having QC problems. There are people out there that have been happy with Bushmaster products and if so good for them but after my experience with them I will not purchase any of their guns.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks AK, almost sounds like Bushmaster is run by Ruger.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Actually they are owned by Remington.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yeah, I know, but Ruger is the only company I know of that has zero QC.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am not fond of Bushmaster either, same thing poor quality control in the one, only and last one I will ever buy from them. RRA has a 308 I think.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yeah my RRA LAR-8 with 3-9x40 Conquest is a slightly under 11 lbs with an empty poly mag. Not the shooter I was hoping for yet but I have not had a lot of time to mess with it much. It will do 1.5" 5-rounds groups easy enough. I have only shot 165 and 168 ballistic tips so far, I may try a 180gr and 150gr to see what it likes best. SMKs or some other match hollow points may shoot tighter too.

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
W
wbm Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Have two Bushmasters. Both are outstanding quality and they are very accurate.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

By the same parent company.

With the complaints I'm reading about current Marlin and Remington QA, I think the decision between those two brands gets easier and easier... grin

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Save a little and buy a LMT, They cost more because they are worth it. You will be glad you did...........dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Save a little and buy a LMT, They cost more because they are worth it. You will be glad you did...........dj

How does Lewis stack up against Rock River?

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by djpaintless

How does Lewis stack up against Rock River?

DF

Better trigger, better upper - monolithic, better lower - takes AR-10 mags, interchangeable barells. Std mil issue (British L129a1). Pretty much better in every way I can think of other than it costs more............dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would not own a Bushmaster or RR 308 AR because they take FAL magazines. That design weakens the bolt.

Armalite used to have a good engineering explanation of the problems associated with FAL magazines in a rotating bolt firearm (that Bushmaster actually did encounter with their 308 AR), but darned if I can find it anymore.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The RR 308s have been out for several years now with additional changes and upgrades over the previous bushmaster model. Why don't we see some actual internet gac on rifles with broken bolts or lugs because of the weak design like Armalite claims?

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had an AR-10T, sent it back to the factory twice and sold it. My friend has a Bushmaster and has done the same. They told him that some of his parts (that are subbed out) were out of spec. You ought to hear him cuss when it jams. You have to bring a steel rod, a hammer, and a 2X4 to the range! Either could be an A+ gun or it could be a dog.

My story. I bought the AR 10T and the first round I fired jammed the bullet in the barrel. It went back to Armalite. I got it back and it would jam at least 1 round a box. It jammed after it ejected the spent round on a live round. You'd have to put a screwdriver in the action and smack it to open it. I sent it back again. They replaced the gas works. the bolt, and changed the feed ramp. This all on a new gun that left the factory non functioning. I got it back and sold it. Never again. I don't even want another AR platform rifle.

I satisfied my military rifle itch with a M1A supermatch. That goes off every time and shoots well. It is not as smooth. You can feel the krang krang as it cycles that you don't with the AR but it works! I have been looking for other designs for a .223 that are not AR platform. Maybe a Rock Rive LAR with a piston drive system instead of gasworks. I know LaRue and Stag Arms have a lot of fans for their ARs. It's something to think on. The ammo is a lot cheaper to have fun with.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,883
Posts18,518,231
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.