-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd get an 8lb keg of TAC, and 1,000 Hornady SP with cannelure.

Travis

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

I won't argue with the 8 lb keg of TAC, but I'd recommend 1000 of Mid South's Varmint Nightmares, W/O the cannelure...

about $45 per 500, plus they are made by Nosler so you know ya got a good bullet...

nothing wrong with the Hornadys, but I don't like where the cannelure is... its design for 223 use...I like to seat the bullets further out in my 22.250s...

another pair of bullets, that you can get in bulk that are super accurate and highly explosive on critters, which should be a good fur bullet tho on a coyote/wolf... Speers 52 grain HP, or the 50 grain TNT...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have had good success shooting the 60 grain BTs and Partitions in 1-14" ROT 22-250s. While the lighter bullets start out faster, they also shed velocity more quickly than the longer/heavier bullets, so for coyotes, I typically shoot 55 or 60 grain bullets. For pdogs and gsquirrels, I shoot shorter/lighter and more fragile bullets, but a 200 lbs. wolf seems like the kind of target you'd want to err on the side of harder hitting and deeper penetrating. That said, I've never seen a wolf in the wild, outside of YNP and that doesn't really count, so I have no practical experience in the matter, just conjecture.

I can't understand why Ruger doesn't make their 22-250 barrels with the same 1-9" ROT that they use for their 223 barrels.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because Ruger never does anything that might cost them some retooling.

Look at the Safari #1 in big calibers that won't eject empties because they hit the safety and the silly rear sight as well as an unhooded front sight. Just the ticket for being "sightless" when something that fights back is coming your way. Been that way for 20 years and still no changes. (Good for NEGC's business though)

You want to shoot wolves ? Use 45 gr Barnes TSX starting out @4000 fps. A bullet that will go right through both shoulders of a 100 pound Whitetail doe will take down any wolf that walks the planet.

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not an industrial engineer, but it Seems to me that it would actually be easier for Ruger to buy only 1-9" ROT barrel blanks for all of their .224" bore production, rather than to buy and store 1-9" ROT blanks for 223 production and 1-14" ROT blanks for 22-250 production. But, sadly, they have never asked my opinion.

EDIT: Gee Larry, if I'd recognized that it was you who I was replying to, I wouldn't have fed the troll. Why don't you find a nice rip tide and go swimming?

Jeff

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because, unlike some flatland corn grower, I have been diving all over the world and rip tides are no threat IF you (you don't) how to handle yourself in the ocean.

Now as to 9" twists in a 22-250.... just a guess but I imagine most are bought by Varmint hunters, so Ruger has made the correct choice. If you want to hunt big game with a .224, buy a barrel or rifle with the correct twist for heavier bullets.

My pinweight carbon fiber AR manages to shoot heavy bullets well enough to kill any of your phantom wolves. Besides I thought you worshipped at the 260 Remington throne.... won't that kill a wolf ?

AR groups with 60-75 gr bullets.

[Linked Image]

Funny how easily you apply the label "troll" to one whose friends and he have done far more financially to support other members and sponsors than you and the real trolls ever have.

Calling names is easy for any coward.... writing checks takes a bit more courage......

Again, you don't need heavy bullets to kill a wolf....just the right ones.

Go get em' tiger!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Everybody wants to be like you Larry; lived everywhere, done everything, have more $$ than Warren Buffett, braver than Audie Murphy, yada, yada, yada, just more lies generated by 1 of your multiple personalities. Heck, you've probably won at Camp Perry and shot more B&C record heads than anybody who has ever lived. But if you quit coming back to the campfire, nobody would miss you. Nobody.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff, glad to see you're still acting like a 17 year old punk-azz.
No facts, no real experience, just name calling and insults.

No one would miss me eh ? probably not the several dozen members and sponsors I and my fellow club members spent over $10K with in 2011.

Probably not the 50+ members I PM with, who avoid posting on any threads because of you and the other troll jerkoffs.

Probably, nobody but you, as you might have to learn something on your own.

You really, in your most wild dreams, that the 30 thousand members here think you are God's gift to the world of firearms, hunting, reloading, shooting or in fact anything other than shoveling pig crap ?

Adios boy, get in your jammies and dream of your wolves.

"SPALDING, Neb. (AP) - A gray wolf was shot near Spalding in the state's first confirmed wolf sighting in 90 years, state wildlife officials said.

A coyote hunter shot the wolf Dec. 15 in a farm field near Spalding, about 55 miles straight north of Grand Island. The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission said Wednesday the 100-pound male canine, which was turned in by the hunter, was recently identified by federal officials as a pure gray wolf.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is conducting a criminal investigation to determine the circumstances of the animal's death.

Gray wolves are a protected species under state and federal laws. The wolves recently were down-listed by federal authorities from an endangered species to a threatened species, which allows ranchers to kill wolves they catch attacking livestock.

Under the previous endangered species designation, killing a wolf carried a maximum $100,000 fine and a one-year jail sentence.

The Fish and Wildlife Service has determined the animal originated from a population of wolves found in Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin.

The last confirmed wolf sighting in Nebraska was in 1913, when a carcass was recovered near Oconto, said Richard Bischof, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission's furbearer and nongame mammal program manager."

Maybe you'll be the SECOND to face a $100,000 fine....... LOL

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Larry...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't be either name calling or insulting when it is the truth, but your acquaintance with truth is so slight that you wouldn't know the truth if it bit you on your lying ass.

I'd sure like to see a post from just 1 of your 50+ "friends" speaking out in support of you. The truth being that nobody with an ounce of credibility would support you because you aren't worthy of support, only ridicule and distain.

Jeff

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
+1, Larry must not be a trout.

Jeff

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This is beginning to look like another thread I'm going to unsubscribe from.......

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry Matt, but if you hang out here long enough, you'll encounter a few, thankfully very few, keyboard cowboys like Larry. Larry has gone through so many handles that he can't even keep them straight and he creates new handles every time Rick boots him. Heck, Larry's so confused that he was posting as his wife for awhile, but he kept getting his genders mixed up.

Jeff

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yeah, I just enjoy the shared common interest in firearms and shooting here. I like to have a place to go where I can discuss those interests with like-minded individuals without having to sift through that kind of adolescent garbage. Maybe I need to check an see if there's an ignore feature here....

I have zero patience for it. I've far more important things to do with my day than waste my time like that.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by interthem
Because, unlike some flatland corn grower, I have been diving all over the world and rip tides are no threat IF you (you don't) how to handle yourself in the ocean.

Now as to 9" twists in a 22-250.... just a guess but I imagine most are bought by Varmint hunters, so Ruger has made the correct choice. If you want to hunt big game with a .224, buy a barrel or rifle with the correct twist for heavier bullets.

My pinweight carbon fiber AR manages to shoot heavy bullets well enough to kill any of your phantom wolves. Besides I thought you worshipped at the 260 Remington throne.... won't that kill a wolf ?

AR groups with 60-75 gr bullets.

[Linked Image]

Funny how easily you apply the label "troll" to one whose friends and he have done far more financially to support other members and sponsors than you and the real trolls ever have.

Calling names is easy for any coward.... writing checks takes a bit more courage......

Again, you don't need heavy bullets to kill a wolf....just the right ones.

Go get em' tiger!

Schtick? Is dat you?????

Ok ok Okay!!!

Who forgot to flush again???? whistle

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
V
Hi Matt -

Hi Matt

Thanks for your service! I started loading for the 22-250 last year and have really enjoyed it. In my rifle (1-12 twist) I have found IMR 4895 paired with Sierra 50gr blitzkings to very accurate. They were only sligtly better than Nosler ballistic tips and Hornady V-max of the same weight. I've also loaded using H-380 (pretty good) and Superformance (which didn't give me great results). Have fun with your load development when you get back.

The NRA equates to pretty inexpensive insurance for our investment in the shooting sports. Not a member? Join. Already a member? Send 'em a few bucks . . .
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AlaskanMatt , yup there is an ignore feature, we've stopping using it as the trolls no longer control the site as they once did.

We agree that talking about guns, hunting, loading etc. is far more interesting than being subjected to attacks, name calling and yes, even death threats.

Now that we have the trolls in check, we happily post and support both members and sponsors by buying their items/products for sale.

Best way to have an adult conversation on a specific topic is to use the PM feature as the trolls cannot get at it.

Sorry you were lead into a "troll attack", obvious to anyone that has ever actually shot a 22-250 with the 45 gr TSX on game, knows that it would be an excellent wolf or (where legal) small Whitetail load.

Need any help on site features, drop me a PM. Good shooting !

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ingwe
Larry...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

I won't argue with the 8 lb keg of TAC, but I'd recommend 1000 of Mid South's Varmint Nightmares, W/O the cannelure...

about $45 per 500, plus they are made by Nosler so you know ya got a good bullet...

nothing wrong with the Hornadys, but I don't like where the cannelure is... its design for 223 use...I like to seat the bullets further out in my 22.250s...

another pair of bullets, that you can get in bulk that are super accurate and highly explosive on critters, which should be a good fur bullet tho on a coyote/wolf... Speers 52 grain HP, or the 50 grain TNT...

Or that.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Now that is an amusing post!

Did you notice that Larry is using the royal "WE", fitting for The King of Trolls, warned Matt about "being lead (led?) into a troll attack" when the only troll that I recognize on this entire thread is Larry, himself. I wonder is the death threats that he claims to have received are real or just a figment of his addled and delusional mind.

Jeff

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 29 invisible), 2,054 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,746
Posts18,495,188
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.