Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by nsaqam
You're beginning to see the light BSA!

This is encouraging! grin

Encouraging, and a step in the right direction. But it doesn't count until he buys a new lefty to drive demand for more production.

BSA, go forth and buy thee a new lefty.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I will as soon as winchester starts making them. Damn bastids!! mad

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Carlos, I created a shortcut to that so when I feel the need to get a nice walnut stock for it, it will be easy to look up. Great find my friend....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I hear you. Wanted a Winchester, and found a New Haven LH M70 in 300 WSM Fwt at Gander Mountain. But the bastids were awfully proud of it ... like $899 proud of it. Kept an occasional eye on it until it finally went on sale. It be mine now. Don't know if I'll ever get one of the SC M70's assuming they come out with lefty's eventually. I never thought Winchester would ever make Model 71's again, but darned if they haven't. Of course, I already purchased a Browning 71 carbine a few years prior to that happening. I've got a knack for that kind of thing.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
old 71's are cool but very spendy.....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a gammut of 788's including a LH 6mm. All of them were accurate as all get out but the one issue I had with them was with the bolt. Obviously in old school fashion, it didn't lock down with the safety and while carrying it with a sling the bolt would easily open a bit. Just enough that when I'd slip the safety off to shoot, it wouldn't shoot. It took me one lost buck mule deer to figure that one out. After that I'd slip the safety off then make sure the bolt was fully closed before attempting to shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I hear you. Wanted a Winchester, and found a New Haven LH M70 in 300 WSM Fwt at Gander Mountain. But the bastids were awfully proud of it ... like $899 proud of it. Kept an occasional eye on it until it finally went on sale. It be mine now. Don't know if I'll ever get one of the SC M70's assuming they come out with lefty's eventually. I never thought Winchester would ever make Model 71's again, but darned if they haven't. Of course, I already purchased a Browning 71 carbine a few years prior to that happening. I've got a knack for that kind of thing.

The LH M70's in the WSM chamberings are expensive but the ones with a .473" boltface are absolutely ridiculous.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Congrats bsa! I've always liked the 788. They aren't fancy but they sure do shoot. I've got a LH 788 6mm myself.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For whatever reason I've always liked the rear locking lug actions like the old Schultz & Larsen's, the Colt Sauer's, and the 788's.
Heck I even like the action on the incredibly ugly French MAS 36!

They always seem to feed well because the cartridge doesn't have to jump the locking lug abutments like it does on front lug actions.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, it's a neat little rifle. I'll pick it up tomorrow afternoon and start refinishing the birch stock. I told the gunshop owner I'd buy it if he had the original wood stock for it and he could keep the plastic stock. He said, "wait a minute, I think I have it here in the back". Glad I finally asked about it.....it's (the stock) got some dings and scratches in it but shouldn't be too hard to get to looking good again...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
We have purchased 3 788's in the past 10 years all for under $225 and wouldn't sell them for twice that

Matt, the funny thing about this is I bought some leupold rings from you to go on my new 788. What a coincidence grin. Not the normal type of mount or rings for one of these but I wanted to keep all the original sights on the rifle and figured this would be just the ticket. Thanks again....:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 67 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,770
Posts18,476,835
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.