Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by akjeff
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Most of us look at your posts as spam. You might find more love over in the back pack hunting section.

I certainly don't regard Jim's posts as spam. The BP forum probably is a more appropriate venue though. He's not selling anything and as far as I see, he has a noncommercial blog about bp cooking. I'll have to go check it again.

Jim - you have some interesting threads and good info (not all of which I agree with) smile but I for one, am glad you are here. Carry on.

What 'bender said.

Jim, just ignore Mannlicher.....he's an obnoxious douche, and certainly doesn't speak for "most of us", as he presumes.

Sure, the Backpacking forum is probably a better venue for this, but it's good info, nonetheless. Thanks.

Jeff

Hey Jeff-

Hope you're keeping warm! crazy

Sam's OK, IMO. I'm looking forward to my curmudgeon years! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Mike,

Barely keeping warm! Cold snaps make me grumpy!

I just hope Hikin Jim comes up with a 100% propane fired Crock-Pot for backpackers, and a selection of recipes featuring Lipton Onion Soup Mix, and cream of mushroom soup! That should really bring out the best in Sam! smile

Jeff

Last edited by akjeff; 01/15/12.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
Since I seldom if ever visit the BP forum and I do cook, I am glad to learn something anywhere it appears.

I have the option to open or read a post so am seldom bothered even if they might be off topic.

Course that is just me.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
...Crock-Pot for backpackers, and a selection of recipes featuring Lipton Onion Soup Mix, and cream of mushroom soup!

So you've found my secrets!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
...Crock-Pot for backpackers, and a selection of recipes featuring Lipton Onion Soup Mix, and cream of mushroom soup!

So you've found my secrets!

I knew it! grin

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi, guys,

Thanks for a few "dissenting opinions." Glad I didn't pack my bags too soon.

No propane crock pots, but I am working on a gas stove that should work down to -45F. Prototype photo below. This is a world preview on the open internet. You saw it here on 24 Hour Campfire first. smile
[Linked Image]

HJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MAPP gas?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by akjeff
MAPP gas?
Yes.

I'm still testing this, so I'm not recommending it at this point. All of my tests so far have been successful, but one has to be careful with MAPP. MAPP has a lot higher pressure than the standard backpacking type gas canister.

The advantage of MAPP is that it vaporizes down to -54F, which in practical terms means they'd be usable to about -45F. Standard backpacking canisters are good down to +20F (with a 80/20 isobutane/propane mix). In other words, MAPP gas can be used in temperatures some 65 Fahrenheit degrees lower than standard backpacking canisters.

MAPP canisters are heavy, and MAPP is generally more expensive than regular gas, but gas stoves are more mechanically reliable in extreme cold than white gasoline/kerosene stoves, and gas stoves don't require priming. Not having to prime could be a real life saver if you were tent-bound due to weather.

I doubt this would be something the average outdoorsman would want, but for those who brave extreme cold, it might be of interest. Definitely a specialized item.

HJ

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,268
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.