B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
LOL sure

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They remind me of something you'd buy on late night TV for $19.95 and get a Bamboo Steamer if you order fast. What's the point of them?

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
same as the golf carts you hunt from, makes things easier.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Easier to what?

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Closest to a guesstimate I can generate on QL is using the .50-110 as a base, a 350 grain bullet, and 110 grains of BlueDot or HS6.

Figure between 400k and 500k PSI.

If something like Clays.... up it by a factor of 2...

Damn.....

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Wow!!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Try this load next time:
an inch or two of FFFF B/powder
followed by 2" of Bullseye
topped off by 3 " of More ffff BP

It will send the parts over the moon!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did this happen on a Public Range ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
he 777 bottle he forgot off the table. Unfortunatly there was also a bottle of smokeless shotshell powder on the table. Not noticing the mistake he loaded up whith what he thought was 110gr 777

There's a couple of parts to this fiasco that I do not understand.
Bottles? What bottles? The container that 777 comes in looks nothing like any shotgun powder container that I know about - there is that whole "777" thing on the label that lets you know what you have. Had he put propellants into unlabelled containers?
Appearance. How does one load 110 grains of anything without looking at it? 777 does not look like any shotgun powder that I have ever seen. So.....how did he do this? (and what a lucky guy).
Pete

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
Karl Wallenda
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
HOW Pete ???????

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by captchee; 02/03/12.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Captchee: That doesn't do it for me. A person would have to be blind not to notice that the container is NOT 777. It looks nothing like a 777 container, or a Pyrodex container or a BP (pick your brand) container.
A person would have to have pretty much zero knowledge about what they were doing to take a can of Win 231 and mistake it for 777. Nothing about them is the same. Even if each were in an unmarked container, they don't resemble each other at all.
Could you really pick up that can of 231 and think that it was 777 or BP? Could you pour 110 grains of it into a powder measure and not see that it doesn't look like 777. No, I think not.
This accident was not a single mistake; it was a whole chain of mistakes.

Karl Wallenda
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Wonder if someone was trying to "see" if smokeless could happen??

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pete
i think your missing what was in the photos i posted .
See all to often folks for what ever reason , put their powder in a different container .
Maybe they buy the powder in bulk or feel the original container no longer seals properly .
This is not only dangerous but its also illegal.
But that doesn�t stop it from happening .

In fact the above photos are from a range where things like blowing down the barrel or standing with your hand over a muzzle is greatly frowned upon as being un safe .
Yet they had no issue with this fella who put True BP in a smokless can . He even went so far as to make a lid with a spout on it . He was pouring right from that can , to his powder measure

While I would totally agree with you that the original containers , as well as the powders themselves ,look completely different . If the person in question had changed containers
And was foolish enough not to distinctly and clearly mark the one with T7 in it .
Well there you go .
Im not saying that�s what happened in this case . I don�t know . But it sounds to me like this may have well been what happened .
Like you , I just cant see any other way one could confuse the two powders

[Linked Image]
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Perhaps some type of liquid refreshment was also involved? Just saying!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Glad he was not hurt real bad. What a disaster.

NEVER GIVE UP
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Captchee: You are correct. I did not glean what you have since said from that photo.
That container labelled "231" really held BP? That is crazy behavior.
Thanks for explaining
Pete

Last edited by PeteD; 02/04/12.

Karl Wallenda
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
your buddies dad should not be allowed around guns. he is a moron. how you mistake shotgun powder for 777 is beyond me. if he is that unfamiliar with powder types and he is reloading shotgun shells, he is lucky he still has a face.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by captchee
Pete
i think your missing what was in the photos i posted .
See all to often folks for what ever reason , put their powder in a different container .
Maybe they buy the powder in bulk or feel the original container no longer seals properly .
This is not only dangerous but its also illegal.
But that doesn�t stop it from happening .

In fact the above photos are from a range where things like blowing down the barrel or standing with your hand over a muzzle is greatly frowned upon as being un safe .
Yet they had no issue with this fella who put True BP in a smokless can . He even went so far as to make a lid with a spout on it . He was pouring right from that can , to his powder measure

While I would totally agree with you that the original containers , as well as the powders themselves ,look completely different . If the person in question had changed containers
And was foolish enough not to distinctly and clearly mark the one with T7 in it .
Well there you go .
Im not saying that�s what happened in this case . I don�t know . But it sounds to me like this may have well been what happened .
Like you , I just cant see any other way one could confuse the two powders
Aside from being dumb by putting powder in a container that it did not come in, how exactly is it "illegal"??? Please explain

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The federal law as I understand it ,Blanket , requires storage to be in an approved and labeled container . Cans like Goex uses have been approved . Same with the plastic bottles for T7 pyro and such .
Even lose powder in bulk , ie 25lb bags , are placed in an approved plastic bag , properly labeled container .
How sticky the feds want to get about that , depends on the officer who checks you .
In my case , it�s a approved and certified bunker and all the requirments that go with such storage
Normally there is not any big issue for say a shooter IF the container is clearly labeled.
. Does this normally create an issue other then a safety one . I would say no . but that depends on how much of an ASS someone wants to be .
State laws can differ so you have to check the state you live in as well as local laws as to the amounts you can own and how they can be stored . let me warn you though . its a never ending cross check aften times regulated by alot of diffrent agancies .

Last edited by captchee; 02/05/12.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That container labelled "231" really held BP?

yep it sure did . if you look in the box , you will see the top of a 2nd smokless can , also with BP in it

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 1234, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 55 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,896
Posts18,498,046
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.