Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
tp4whlr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am new to posting in these forums, been lurking around for a while. I've been reading back on the post picking up info here and there and getting a feel for the place.
I own several single shots, T/C contender w/ numerous barrels, Shiloh Sharps 45-70, H&R calvary trapdoor 45-70, Ithaca model 49, and a few others I'm forgetting to mention.
I also have a Mossberg SSI one in 30-06 and think it is a great little gun. I was sorry to see Mossberg drop it. I was hoping to aquire a few more barrels for it.
I may have missed it, but was surprised to find nothing posted here on them. Anyone else have any experience with them ? Really would like to find a 280 Rem. barrel for it.
Oops forgot to mention a Ruger #1 in 243

Last edited by tp4whlr; 10/08/05.

NRA Patron Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Firearms Acquisitioner and Accumulator
GB1

tp4whlr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm a little surprised that no one else has experience with the SSi-one. In the latest issue of American Rifleman there is an article on the Mossberg ATR rifle and they mention that the SSi-one is only on hold because all resources had to be used to get the ATR in production, they hint that the SSi-one will return. I surely hope they bring it back. By the way if anyone has interest, CDNN was offering SSi-ones for sell. I picked mine up at Gander Mountain.

NRA Patron Life Member
TSRA Life Member
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've got a 223 sport barrel if anyone is interested. Don't use it much since I got a 17 HMR. Got a nice buck with my 308 SSI last year. Hit him in the shoulder and he fell over dead.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I also have one in 30-06 and I have a 12 Ga fully rifled slug barrel for it too. I would like to find a 308 Win barrel. How was your trigger when you got it? Mine had like a 42# trigger pull(well it seemed like it) After I took it apart and smoothed out the machine marks and polished the sear and hammer surface it came down to a decent level and is a good bit crisper in feel. My only complaint is it is a little bit heavy for me in a single shot.

Steve E..........

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought a Mossberg SSi-1 from SIR in Winnipeg last Fall. This was mainly to obtain the rifled slug barrel that we are required to use for hunting deer in southern Ontario. Since the rig was clearance priced, I also sprang for a rifle barrel in .270 WCF. I think it was a good deal.

The SSi-1 is a well-made and attractive rifle. If the T/C Encore looked like the SSi-1, I'd have a closet full of barrels. I carried it for hunting last year and was reminded why break-action guns are so user-friendly and have long been so popular. My only complaint was that shooting 12-gauge slugs it backed up pretty smartly. As it is, I would gladly buy additional barrels if Mossberg put them back in production and added a few more adventurous chamberings.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I saw one in Wal-Mart a few weeks ago. IT is build solid (heavy) and the price was right but it is 'uuugly', especially the pathetic attempt at a schnabel forend. The pistol grip didn't look much better.

Someone at Mossberg should take a look at the stock on the older Browning B78 to see how both should be done. It is the only schnabel I ever really LIKED. The Ruger 77 also has a nicely shaped grip.

I don't mind that the wood is plain, at the price it is a shooter not a looker, but if it was a woman I wouldn't ask it for its phone number.

tp4whlr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I agree the looks of the SSi-one are not at the level of the B78 or 1885's, but look at the price difference. I wish I could say buying a firearm doesn't cause a hiccup in my budget, but even a $299 purchase has to be accounted for in my household. That being said, if price wasn't an issue I would be all over the B78 and 1885's and I would own more than 1 contender frame ( I'm still budgeting for a SS encore).
The Mossberg SSi-one I believe was priced where most could afford one without too much budget struggle. The one I own has nicely figured wood, dark bluing and at first glance appears to be a much more valuable item. I have only fired factory ammo to date, and with corelokts (150 gr) holds 1-1.5" groups. I will always own a contender, the Ruger #1 will go to one of the kids one day, and eventually a encore and a 1885 will be added to the collection, but I surely hope Mossberg brings back the SSi-one with a much larger selection of calibers. If they come back I'll definitely pick-up more barrels and maybe another frame or two.

Last edited by tp4whlr; 11/07/05.

NRA Patron Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I took my SSi-1 hunting yesterday and had a good look at it while standing and waiting fruitlessly for a deer to appear. That inspection reminded me why I like this rifle (although, it was a shotgun yesterday).

I rather like its looks. The semi-beavertail forend that fits the slug barrel is a not as good looking as the schnabel that came with the .270 barrel, but both are well finished and checkered. The buttstock is also well-shaped for me, and I especially like the fairly long and open pistol grip. The metal is finished in a nicely done satin blue. The only esthetic flaw in my opinion is the somewhat "long" receiver, but I can live with it.

The rifle functions perfectly and has a few nice touches. It ejects rather than extracts spent cases, which is nice given that I am not hunting elephants or rhinos. There is a little brass cocking indicator on the tang (like the one on the Savage 99), which is useful on a hammerless gun. And the safety is on the tang right where it ought to be. It even came with a Weaver-style scope mount for each barrel.

Given its finish and features, this gun is a great value, and Mossberg should bring it back. After all, T/C has made a business out of building rifles with some of the same features but that are not half as attractive (or putting it more diplomatically that are less conventionally styled). Makes me wonder what happened to the TCR'87.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 21, 64 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.