Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lovebmper_2020
for me in 20yrs of bowhunting,,generally weekend only hunting,, i killed 3 deer with a bow,, and last yr i killed one with a traditional bow 49# 66inch custom recurve,, i do generally do alot better come gun season due to the experience of learning during bowhunting,, someof these guys who get one every yr and let deer walk are amazing to me due to my experiences,,

my experiences are the deer are not easy to get close to where i hunt! its thick,, they can be 25yards away and it may as well be a mile you cant shoot,,

Sounds like you need to "develop" your hunting spot a bit. Cut some shooting lanes. Trim some brush. I do it every year to make room to kill, and kill every year.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love to bowhunt but yes, it's tougher than gun...for me also.

I have learned more about hunting deer while bow hunting though than I ever would have just gun hunting IMO.

My biggest fell this year to an arrow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I started bow-hunting about 20 years ago I couldn't believe how very little I actually knew about deer. I mean I really didn't know anything. I think the great thing about bow-hunting is that you get to sit and actually observe and learn what deer do.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Preseason study hall to know where they are, how long they stay and when they leave. Go in early, hunt the wind and the if wind changes move. Don't hunt the same stand morning and evening, but hunt the whole day.

I kill more deer during bow season when the other hunter are off the stand eating. Have 2 or 3 backup plans based on when they go nocturnal, because study hall goes out the door.

Luck really helps too.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I won't hunt the same stand more then twice in a week. Area's that I have several stands in I will hunt three days in a week but rarely need to.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by vacrt2002

Luck really helps too.

you said a mouthful kiddo. smile

i do as much research as possible given my time restraints, but luck sure helps.

btw, same applies to salt water fishin' many times. smile smile

-ken

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Archery hunting is very rewarding yet also can be very frustrating at the same time. I've gun hunted for over 30 years, and archery hunted for almost 20 years. I do both every year and certainly fill more tags with my rifle(s) than with my bow(s). But, its the challenge Im looking for. I think archery hunting makes you a better hunter over all since it requires you to really learn about your chosen game, how to hunt the wind, and on and on. And yes, it can be very difficult, especially early on when you're learning and having to hunt DIY on public ground. Get ready of some tag soup more times then not. I went to primitive archery in 2009 and I'm still trying to extend my effective range more each year to increase my odds of success. Its a lot of fun... but I still love to hunt with my rifles...

God Bless America!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball
Good luck and aim low.

+1, missed my largest deer to date when he ducked my arrow

I've been archery hunting going on 20 years this year, first 10 didn't do very well. Wasn't able to hunt very hard some of those first years and took 3-4 deer.

Last 10 years I've gotten my act together and the last 5 years I've had a job where I can sneak out early a few days a week and sneak in late a day or two.

Think I've filled my tag every year, but a couple in the last decade with a mature buck and have taken four of my largest deer with a bow.

Nothing like the frustration when you set your sights on a certain deer and start to hunt just that one deer. You can have them in range and still not have a shot, but when it all comes together you know you've accomplished something.

This past year we only had two decent bucks on our land, last couple weeks before rifle season started I was out almost every evening and 3-4 mornings a week. I was pushing the flexibility of my job and my girlfriend.

Just couldn't get a shot, drew back a few times but didn't have a shot. Two different times I had does/fawns in front of me and the bucks would come in behind me and I couldn't move.

One morning I had one of them right underneath me before light. Could see his antlers in the moonlight, same morning walking out I about walked right into the other one feeding as I crested a small hill on my way back to my truck.

Finally on the Thursday before rifle season I picked a new stand and just as I was getting into it the larger of the two bucks and a couple dinks got up about 40 yards from where I had chose to sit and ran off. I wasn't even going to bother sitting there, but didn't have time to pick a different stand so got settled in for the evening.

Wasn't five minutes later and I caught movement a few hundred yards away. The other buck I had been after was following a doe and they were working up towards me. I had brought my decoy with me that evening and haven't had the best of luck with does seeing my decoy as they usually spook or just stand/stomp snort at it.

The path they were following would bring them right into the decoy and I wasn't very happy. For whatever reason the doe started off the path and I had to slowly move. The buck was about 20 yards behind her paralleling her and at the last moment changed his path.

I was in a terrible position and had to swing up/around to clear the tree and just as I was settling down and drawing he looked up right at me. My heart started to race, but thankfully he put his head down and I gave him one of those lovely slick tricks right in the heart.

Life is just one damned thing after another
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Do many of you still hunt when bow hunting? I'm doing a slow switch from muzzleloader to a longbow, and since still hunting is all I know. I figured i'd continue to use it for bow hunting.

I sure like the month long season for bows instead of 9 days for guns. I'll start with deer, but would like to hunt for elk too. Does a longbow have enough power? I bought a 50# Martin Savannah.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Does a longbow have enough power? I bought a 50# Martin Savannah.

Plenty of power for deer/elk... the 60" TD recurve that I hunt with is a 55# at 28"DL and I've blown all the way through elk with it. Just make sure it's tuned right (arrow spine and brace height) and putting as much energy as possible into the arrow, use a good heavy arrow that's got the right spine for your set up and a SHARP broad head and you'll be good to go.

God Bless America!
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sounds good. Thanks.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Do many of you still hunt when bow hunting?

I've done one Archery Hunt for Elk, essentially still hunting. Ended up getting a fair 6x6. We called in quite a few, but would always hang up out of range.

Called in one monster that about ran over me, but wasn't able to get a shot. The 6x6 we did get, we saw and called in.

Over the years I could have taken a few smaller bucks still hunting and have come close to taking a few real nice bucks but have never sealed the deal. Have always just needed a few more feet or another second.

Few times I've stumbled upon a nice buck walking in/out of my stand and those are the times I didn't have an arrow knocked or had my release on or there's been some other gear in my way. Seems like the deer always know when you're not quite ready.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lovebmper_2020
for me in 20yrs of bowhunting,,generally weekend only hunting,, i killed 3 deer with a bow,, and last yr i killed one with a traditional bow 49# 66inch custom recurve,, i do generally do alot better come gun season due to the experience of learning during bowhunting,, someof these guys who get one every yr and let deer walk are amazing to me due to my experiences,,

my experiences are the deer are not easy to get close to where i hunt! its thick,, they can be 25yards away and it may as well be a mile you cant shoot,,
Dude come hunt with me I've killed 3 in a week and can't even count the total I've killed with stick and string....taking one with tradition equipment is something to hang your hat on

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have had ok results with still hunting with bow. If I were living and hunting in CO like you I would do a lot more of it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think i'll try turkey hunting too. We have a spring and fall season that I can use a bow. More reasons to be in the mountains, and I like eating turkey.

If I can hit one with an arrow.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Love turkey hunting but nothing comes close to elk hunting. Good luck with the spring gobblers.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I too, am new to bowhunting and am going to try recurve, i had figured since shooting rifles and shotguns left handed as I am, i would bow shoot the same way. I had a minor eye surgery and had the dr check for dominance, turns out my right is dominant so I will learn to shoot right handed. my friends that bow hunt tell me since I am new to bow hunting it would be better to learn to shoot right handed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 1234, 65 invisible), 14,051 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,278
Posts18,545,082
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.