Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
8nbait Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Okay, so I pretty much made up my mind that I was going to order an HS precision SPL in 7mm rem mag but before I ordered I started thinking about other options so...

HS precision, about $2,900 stainless with teflon or cerakote, detachable magazine (negative for me)

Cooper Model 56 Jackson this would be a no brainer except the magnum model costs $2,900 and it would need to be cerakoted

Nosler Trophy grade rifle about $1,800 already cerakoted, blind magazine (positive for me), starting to think this may be the best option.

Not opposed to Sako or Remington but want all weather materials and don't know a gunsmith so any mods will have to be done by me and I am not a gunsmith either.

I want to get into longe range shooting so accuracy is the key here. I have started saving a little each month so price deffinately matters but I dont mind saving longer if that is what it takes.

thanks, gary

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rem 700 adl 350.00
McMillan Classic 450.00
Milled alluminium trigger gaurd 100
Talley's 40.00
Leupold 3.5-10 M1 500.00
Coat yourself 100.0

so all in all you can have what you want for a grand total of 1650 scoped and ready to hunt.. it'd be similar to this....

[Linked Image]

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What Paul said...

Wayyyyy too many guys go overboard throwing money at a project like this instead of throwing money into getting trigger time...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz

Coat yourself 100.0

Paul, explain, please...I have a rifle or two I'd like to do...

Regards,

Tom
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Nosler M 48 is fast gaining a rep for unrivaled accuracy . You could do worse for more money !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oneoldsap
The Nosler M 48 is fast gaining a rep for unrivaled accuracy .

really?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If you have 3k to spend..

I'd look at doing.. (APPROX)

Rem 700 SS LA (mag) $450
McM Edge Stock $550
Lilja BBL $330
Jewel Trigger $229.99
Bolt Fluting/Shifter Handle: $165
Cerekote: $200
Stock Painting: $125
Callahan FP/Shroud: $43.99
Bedding: $125
Gunsmithing: $350

With shipping, you'll be into for around $2750, and you'll have one hell of a rifle.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
What Paul & GP said.

I'm as big a rifle loony as anyone (though I don't have the resources some here have) but have learned how easy it is to overshoot the goal (pun intended) and add way more bells & whistles than are necessary, cost too much, and take away from (or at least don't add to) my ability to put time in behind the trigger.

A Sako A7 will shoot as well as those super-high-dollar rifles, leave you LOTS of money left over for bells & whistles including coating, micky stock, scope w/ turrets, etc...

Then you take what you STILL have left and put it into loading components and shoot a CRAPLOAD of rounds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin

Rem 700 SS LA (mag) $450
McM Edge Stock $550
Lilja BBL $330
Jewel Trigger $229.99

With shipping, you'll be into for around $2750, and you'll have one hell of a rifle.

Right on!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suppose HS makes a fine rifle, but I wouldn't give them any of my money after the Lon Horuchi (sp?) sponsorship.

And spec'ing things out is more satisfying anyway.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B3

8nbait Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Rem 700 SS LA (mag) $450
McM Edge Stock $550
Lilja BBL $330
Jewel Trigger $229.99

I don't have $3,00 now but it sounds like I could purchase a new or used Remington 700 and as finances allowed purchase specific components.
Where does a guy find these components and who does he trust to assemble them? Can I install a trigger and barrel myself? I know I can upgrade the stock but not sure about the rest of this. Sorry for my ignorance but I have been a long time bow hunter and never really rifle hunted much at all.

thanks, gary

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Gary,

Getting a 700 now and doing it over time makes a lot of sense. I laid out a high $ build, but as Paul pointed you, you don't have to spend that much. You can find all of the parts via the internet. You might be able to save some money too, if you get a rifle that shoots and you won't have to replace the barrel.

A cheaper way to get a good gun like Paul pointed out would be to buy a Rem 700 XCR2, which is already coated. Verify that it shoots sub moa, which I'm sure it will. Then order a McM Edge stock for it from the gear shop on this site. Have it bedded to the action and painted by Eddie Fausnaugh to really make it look nice. http://www.fosnaughcustoms.com/ Send the bolt to Kampfeld Customs http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/ to get it blinged out. New shroud and trigger and you are done. You can install a trigger yourself, but if you don't know how to do it, get Eddie or a gunsmith to do it. Eddie can also tune up a Rem 700 trigger to and save you some loot.

Lots of different ways to do it. I've got some great shooting rifles wearing McM Edge stocks, which imo are the best on the market, that I'm into for less than $1200. The paint, coatings, and bold work are just fluff, but it sure makes a rifle look nice.

8nbait Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Gary,

Getting a 700 now and doing it over time makes a lot of sense. I laid out a high $ build, but as Paul pointed you, you don't have to spend that much. You can find all of the parts via the internet. You might be able to save some money too, if you get a rifle that shoots and you won't have to replace the barrel.

A cheaper way to get a good gun like Paul pointed out would be to buy a Rem 700 XCR2, which is already coated. Verify that it shoots sub moa, which I'm sure it will. Then order a McM Edge stock for it from the gear shop on this site. Have it bedded to the action and painted by Eddie Fausnaugh to really make it look nice. http://www.fosnaughcustoms.com/ Send the bolt to Kampfeld Customs http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/ to get it blinged out. New shroud and trigger and you are done. You can install a trigger yourself, but if you don't know how to do it, get Eddie or a gunsmith to do it. Eddie can also tune up a Rem 700 trigger to and save you some loot.

Lots of different ways to do it. I've got some great shooting rifles wearing McM Edge stocks, which imo are the best on the market, that I'm into for less than $1200. The paint, coatings, and bold work are just fluff, but it sure makes a rifle look nice.

I think that will be the way to do it. I have heard good things about "eddie". Thanks for the insight.
That will leave alot left over for spotters, gps etc. not to mention lots of ammo.
I appreciate your insight.
Gary

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
What they said above me.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The first thing I would do is spend a few weeks reading post on the hunting and custom rifle forums. To get a base of ideas and knowledge built up. You will find a lot of your answers doing this and probably find a lot more questions to ask. Then figure on a lot more then $3000 as you will probably end up addicted and want many more!
You have been given good advise above and the stuff needed is easy to find on this these pages and with quick website searches. In general a barrel from any of the top name makers will be great, most prefer Mcmillian stocks(edge for lighter, swirl for looks ans standard weight), jewel triggers are considered the best by most, but a adjusted Rem works great and is cheaper, talley mounts are simple strong, light and relativity cheap, many good scope options out there.
Decide first on your intended uses, then your ideals of weight, looks, added features(i would bet these will change in future builds and time). Then start to get your stuff together. In your research/reading you will notice the names of a bunch of well respected gunsmiths.
Other sites for reading and info
6br.com
benchrestcentral

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
People where answering as I was typing and supposed to be working!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Also.. As far as getting the rifle to "shoot". With the bullets available today, it's not hard to get a really accurate load, without a custom barrel. Scenars, Amax's, and Bergers are changing the game, IMO, on accuracy standards. Sub moa is usually achieved on the first loads tried, and .5 is the new thing to chase.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tominboise
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz

Coat yourself 100.0

Paul, explain, please...I have a rifle or two I'd like to do...

you can buy coatings and do it yourself. i think even midway has kits with the airbrush and everything for about a bill maybe a bit more. Some are air cure and some require a trip to the oven but it ain't all that hard...

If you really want to go redneck you could just krylon it....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW, The rifle i have pictured above is a 700 ADL in 7 RM. i have a total of under 1100 in it the way it sits. I'd not be afraid to use that rifle anywhere on the continent...

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I would go with an H-S Precision or McWhoerter, they guarantee accuracy or buy a Remington of your liking and send it to Hill Country Rifles for accurizing! Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 54 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.