Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
From my point of view based upon what I've heard about the NAB, for all intents & purposes it performs just like a plastic-tipped NPT would...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Tim: Hard to argue with boots (and animals)on the ground. smile

What a love-fest. grin

Where's Boxer when you need him???

Last edited by Kimber7man; 01/17/12.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Is the Combined Tech. Partition Gold still available too?

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Furprick
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
The flattened tips give some guys heartburn... tired

I deliberately save them and shoot them into groups at 300-400 yards.

It doesn't matter. whistle

Guys make me laugh....gonna second guess Nosler,and "improve" the most successful BG bullet in history with stupid add ons so they have little plastic tips to look at while they mentally masturbate over the "huge differences"....funny stuff. laugh crazy

Want tips? Buy an AB or BT.Want bonded? Get a Swift Aframe or S'co II...they are all huffing and puffing to catch up to the record of the Partition on game worldwide.Good luck.

+ more

Thoughts of a plastic tip arrived in my noggin shortly after they (Nosler) began making red, green, and yellow plastic tip bullets back in ???? (I was very troubled by the mashed noses as are some here.) I was too young then to recognize wisdom. I was ripe for the copper infatuation which was developing. Ironically, after the dust has settled following the arrival of many 'new, improved' ideas in bullets design, the boring old Partition still bears the torch as a premium among premium designs.

No heartburn here. I just don't like the LOOK of mashed in tips, or Redheads! Some do , but I don't, there are other equally as good choices. I think the Accubond will largely displace the Partition. Especially when all the " set in yur ways types/ my pappy always saaze" are out of the picture.

My "pappy" didn't hunt....or shoot,except in WW II... wink

Me, I tend to judge things for myself...

I learned about Partitions not by gazing at bullet tips,but by shooting and killing game with them.The AB is a fine bullet as long as you can keep the plastic tips from falling out.Never seen that happen? You gotta get out more.....when you do,I can guarantee you it's like lookin' at Redheads. I'll take the mashed tips myself.... smile

I would guess the AB will replace the Partition along about the time the 270 and 30/06 get relegated to the dust bin.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One word comes to mind.....
BLASPHEMY.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Guys make me laugh....gonna second guess Nosler,and "improve" the most successful BG bullet in history with stupid add ons so they have little plastic tips to look at while they mentally masturbate over the "huge differences"....funny stuff. laugh crazy

Want tips? Buy an AB or BT.Want bonded? Get a Swift Aframe or S'co II...they are all huffing and puffing to catch up to the record of the Partition on game worldwide.Good luck.

+ more

Thoughts of a plastic tip arrived in my noggin shortly after they (Nosler) began making red, green, and yellow plastic tip bullets back in ???? (I was very troubled by the mashed noses as are some here.) I was too young then to recognize wisdom. I was ripe for the copper infatuation which was developing. Ironically, after the dust has settled following the arrival of many 'new, improved' ideas in bullets design, the boring old Partition still bears the torch as a premium among premium designs.

Not according to Sitka Deer. It's not even a premium much less a premium premium. whistle

Y'all old fuddy's need to get with the times. A plastic tip would be cool. And a boat-tail..........

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff I would differ with Mr. Art with all due respect... :)Opinions and experiences will differ... wink If a Partition isn't enough, I have Bitterroots...

Stuck in my ways? Uuhh.....not really.

I was shooting Bitterroots before many even knew what they were,or even existed.....Ditto with the original TBBC's from Jack Carter(do many know the "originals" had no solid shank? But could not hang with the Bitterroots with that design, because they overexpanded? The reason for the solid shank in the later version.....I figured that out before I got to use them on game....by shooting them into wet newspaper). But the Grizzly by Joe Abrams behaved better;just like a Bitterroot.

Nosler Solid base....used plenty;shot hundreds, killed game and watched them in the field,too....back to the old Partition! wink

There's 10 boxes of 7mm 140 AB's here....to replace the 15-20 boxes I already shot....took them to Alberta twice and killed my biggest Mule Deer with them.Got it here,mashed up like and mangled against the ribs,and what's left weighs 59 grains. It killed but they sure don't like 3250 fps at 175 yards...a velocity that has barely even slowed down a 140 Nosler Partition in game animlas.....And I told you about the AB tip that decided to part company with the bullet and stoved up the magazine frown

Ditto for the 7mm 150 Scirrocco,old and new version.twice to Alberta.....not bad but the new ones strike me as a TOUGH. I need to experiment a bit more with that one....and shooting a few weeks back told me the 7mm 150 BT and Partition both go exactly the same place to 400-500 yards; not until 600 do we see the BT edge it out by about 5" or so....

Don't have as much experiences as some with plastic tips....but then, I don't choose my BG bullets based on what they "look like",or by reading charts....I pick them based on my shooting and how they kill animals.And I sure don't worry about a bashed tip, because I have shot thousands of Partitions, and "know"(not guess)that it doesn't matter at all....

In the meantime, I have a single recovered 7mm Partition,a 160 that tumbled on brush,out of many fired at game...all the other 140's and 160's exited on game...can't seem to find one!Even those used at 450-500 yards.(I know that's a chip shot today smile ....they behave exactly like the one's fired at 20 feet, and 50 yards, and 200....and further. I can't say that about many designs.When you shoot a Partition at an animal, you know pretty much exactly what will happen.

Closed minded? Nope.....Just practical.... wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/17/12.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My ideal bullet would be a a .308, 200gr boat tail partition with bonded cores front and rear and a plastic tip. Icing on the cake would be to coat it with that blue stuff Barnes used.Talk about sex appeal...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
My ideal bullet would be a a .308, 200gr boat tail partition with bonded cores front and rear and a plastic tip. Icing on the cake would be to coat it with that blue stuff Barnes used.Talk about sex appeal...

Going wowo-wowo-wowo-wowo... as they wobble through the air at anything less than 1-7" tested barrels? grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Would love to know what talent Nosler has run off.

Who's still left is a better question.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff I would differ with Mr. Art with all due respect... :)Opinions and experiences will differ... wink If a Partition isn't enough, I have Bitterroots...

Stuck in my ways? Uuhh.....not really.

I was shooting Bitterroots before many even knew what they were,or even existed.....Ditto with the original TBBC's from Jack Carter(do many know the "originals" had no solid shank? But could not hang with the Bitterroots with that design, because they overexpanded? The reason for the solid shank in the later version.....I figured that out before I got to use them on game....by shooting them into wet newspaper). But the Grizzly by Joe Abrams behaved better;just like a Bitterroot.

Nosler Solid base....used plenty;shot hundreds, killed game and watched them in the field,too....back to the old Partition! wink

There's 10 boxes of 7mm 140 AB's here....to replace the 15-20 boxes I already shot....took them to Alberta twice and killed my biggest Mule Deer with them.Got it here,mashed up like and mangled against the ribs,and what's left weighs 59 grains. It killed but they sure don't like 3250 fps at 175 yards...a velocity that has barely even slowed down a 140 Nosler Partition in game animlas.....And I told you about the AB tip that decided to part company with the bullet and stoved up the magazine frown

Ditto for the 7mm 150 Scirrocco,old and new version.twice to Alberta.....not bad but the new ones strike me as a TOUGH. I need to experiment a bit more with that one....and shooting a few weeks back told me the 7mm 150 BT and Partition both go exactly the same place to 400-500 yards; not until 600 do we see the BT edge it out by about 5" or so....

Don't have as much experiences as some with plastic tips....but then, I don't choose my BG bullets based on what they "look like",or by reading charts....I pick them based on my shooting and how they kill animals.And I sure don't worry about a bashed tip, because I have shot thousands of Partitions, and "know"(not guess)that it doesn't matter at all....

In the meantime, I have a single recovered 7mm Partition,a 160 that tumbled on brush,out of many fired at game...all the other 140's and 160's exited on game...can't seem to find one!Even those used at 450-500 yards.(I know that's a chip shot today smile ....they behave exactly like the one's fired at 20 feet, and 50 yards, and 200....and further. I can't say that about many designs.When you shoot a Partition at an animal, you know pretty much exactly what will happen.

Closed minded? Nope.....Just practical.... wink

Ya... agreed pretty much (at least from what I've seen).

Partitions are like an Inline 6 engine. A simple, mechanically stout design proven by many decades of success; easy to pick on for this-or-that reason but in the end- strong like ox, grunts like a country gal in heat, and damn near mechanically as reliable as a rock.

That's not to say that 4-bangers, V6's, and V8's don't have things to like too. That's as far as that analogy needs to go.

But still, if Noz put a tip & boattail (and better BC) on Partitions, I'd sure give them a run. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Ya... agreed pretty much (at least from what I've seen).

Partitions are like an Inline 6 engine. A simple, mechanically stout design proven by many decades of success; easy to pick on for this-or-that reason but in the end- strong like ox, grunts like a country gal in heat, and damn near mechanically as reliable as a rock.

That's not to say that 4-bangers, V6's, and V8's don't have things to like too. That's as far as that analogy needs to go.

But still, if Noz put a tip & boattail (and better BC) on Partitions, I'd sure give them a run. smile
How many animals have you shot where the increased BC would have helped? I know I haven't shot any at distances that it has mattered...

Last edited by pointer; 01/18/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff: Blunt instruments.... grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ever since JOHN NOSLER designed and built his PARTITION bullet, others have tried to match it. Joyce Hornady was hard on John's heels ,when he passed away from an airplane crash, or other development's might be in the works. All others have been trying to play catch up bullet making , but have not discovered the secret of Mr. Nosler.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Furprick

+ more

No heartburn here. I just don't like the LOOK of mashed in tips, or Redheads! Some do , but I don't, there are other equally as good choices. I think the Accubond will largely displace the Partition. Especially when all the " set in yur ways types/ my pappy always saaze" are out of the picture.

My "pappy" didn't hunt....or shoot,except in WW II... wink

Me, I tend to judge things for myself...

I learned about Partitions not by gazing at bullet tips,but by shooting and killing game with them.The AB is a fine bullet as long as you can keep the plastic tips from falling out.Never seen that happen? You gotta get out more.....when you do,I can guarantee you it's like lookin' at Redheads. I'll take the mashed tips myself.... smile

I would guess the AB will replace the Partition along about the time the 270 and 30/06 get relegated to the dust bin.

I really hope not, as I have a really good load and alternative to the X bullet, in a 200gr AB in the 30-06. Partitions are not the only lead core bullet that gets battered in the magazine under recoil. just that i get better all round performance with the AB and their generally more accurate than the PT. I have a box of 9.3-286gr partitions on my shelf so will give them a go when the weather warms up, although the 250gr AB perferates anything its been pointed at so far.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

[bleep]...I hope not! grin

Me too........!!!

Of course, now that we've all declared Noz will never make a plastic tipped Pt, there's probably one in the works.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

[bleep]...I hope not! grin

Me too........!!!

Of course, now that we've all declared Noz will never make a plastic tipped Pt, there's probably one in the works.........

Casey

well... i gotta wonder how many guys here who only half read a thread, at best, have called or emailed nosler wanting info on the "plastic tipped partitions" they read about???

what's the difference between speculation, prophecy, and self fulfillment???

Even considering Mule Deer's post, marketing analysts are paid to have their ear to the ground...

on the one hand we've got knee-jerk whackos talking about plastic tipped partitions on the internet... which in turn will cause some knee-jerk hoarders to order prodigious quantities of current run partitions...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Casey, they are smart not to mess with them....for a bunch of reasons not apparent to folks who read ballistic tables and look at group sizes to judge the worth of a BG bullet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, with all the Partition love here, someone should oughta write 'em a poem and post it on that really neat "Poems about Bullets" thread! whistle

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
"I shot an elk with a Partition...

He wound up dead... eek

You'd never guess how... shocked

If you read..

This thread..." frown sick

smile

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,152
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.