Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Which photo? The one with the Ray Gun??? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Laffin'....I heard you guys got a foot of new snow. Been out shoveling yet?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We got over a foot...and I don't shovel...this time of year its like ironing underwear...you just gotta do it over and over.

God will take care of it....along about March... grin

BTW: Bozo didn't get any....

Last edited by ingwe; 01/20/12.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife and our 10 year old are on their way over to Helena today for a Hockey tourny. The other two boys and I are staying here. I promised them some coyote hunting this weekend..

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Too bad you arent coming too...I'd set you up with a little Venison a la Ingwe on the Barbie....

I know you hardly ever get a chance to eat venison off a young, little tender deer... wink

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ingwe
We got over a foot...and I don't shovel...this time of year its like ironing underwear...you just gotta do it over and over.

God will take care of it....along about March... grin

BTW: Bozo didn't get any....

"correction" tom,

we got a little bit less than 1/16 of an inch, and the city road grader, front-end loader, and snow dump truck have been growling around out in front of my place for 70 minutes now, can't imagine what the're accomplishing--except making a lot of noise (oh, and last winter they drove the front end loader up on my sidewalk, and busted it--so they came last summer and spent the day grinding down the damage, as one side was 2 inches higher after their dastardly deed...)

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What is this Snow Removal Equipment you speak of....?

I haven't seen ANY of that going on..... crazy

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
i hear you for sure--now, if you had just an 1/8 or less, they'd be all over your streets...

btw, the pic you posted of shari with that 22 cf deer was great--she is a super nice gal, and i've really enjoyed visiting with her during the the made in mont registration process...

the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool...thanks...she's a killin' machine, and a psycho fisher gal.... laugh

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Eyeballs trailing dogs wouldn't get much "training" following up the deer I've shot with my .22 centerfires.
Most I have shot with a 223 and 55 gr sp run close to a hundred. The dog is a GSP and great on quail but since I archery hunt I want a dog which could possibly find me a poorly hit deer. I have been bit by Murphys law on more than one occasion. Last year she trailed up the first muley buck by a ranchers grandson and earned me the right to hunting on a ranch money can't buy.
I would say that this has been the exact same experience I've had with my .300Sav.

Maybe I need a bigger gun.... tired
If you have the same result with a 300 as a 12 year old with a 243 shooting his first deer i'd think anyone with half a brain could figure out they need to learn to shoot better. Sorry.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Which photo? The one with the Ray Gun??? grin

That's a Ray Gun??? I thought it was the 22-250!!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Cool...thanks...she's a killin' machine, and a psycho fisher gal.... laugh

the perfect match-up !

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah...she won't even let me take a nap on our fishing vacations! cry

And hunting...the only time my wife doesnt let me hang trophies on the walls is when she needs the space for hers! grin

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yeah...she won't even let me take a nap on our fishing vacations! cry

And hunting...the only time my wife doesnt let me hang trophies on the walls is when she needs the space for hers! grin

not only the perfect match-up, but you've truly got it made !

my wife loves shooting, but she told me when we married, "no more cleanin fish--between my dad and my grandpa fishing from dawn to dark, i cleaned enough fish to sink a barge..."

she does still go chuck and yote hunting--and can't get enough of shooting her sako .222, so i can't complain there.

and one time when i found an unusual handgun that i'd been searching for many years, i got cold feet at the last second and was going to pass--wherein she gave me a speech, telling me "go get that one--don't let it go, you'll never find another--and i sure want to see you have that particular gun". so i did, and now i'm really glad she talked me into the final step--mighty fine medicine...

the only downer to that gun--

she shoots it far better than i ever could !

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Any round can kill a deer if it is put in the right place. A 22LR will kill an elephant. If you can get close enough and are a very good shot it will work. Would it be my choice beyond varmits? No. There are better rounds. Then again I hunt the Northern deer which tend to be much larger than the typical Southern deer. If it works for you..

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Now for a serious question.

I have killed ALOT of deer with the .223 and only once have I had to shoot a second time. All shots have been 150 yards or less typical whitetail hunting. I have not found the .223 lacking but I'm wondering how it compares to the 22-250.

You guys that have taken deer and goats with both, does the 22-250 seem any more effective?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Any round can kill a deer if it is put in the right place. A 22LR will kill an elephant. If you can get close enough and are a very good shot it will work. Would it be my choice beyond varmits? No. There are better rounds. Then again I hunt the Northern deer which tend to be much larger than the typical Southern deer. If it works for you..
Awww [bleep] here we go again!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LBP

I have killed ALOT of deer with the .223 and only once have I had to shoot a second time. All shots have been 150 yards or less typical whitetail hunting. I have not found the .223 lacking but I'm wondering how it compares to the 22-250.

You guys that have taken deer and goats with both, does the 22-250 seem any more effective?

No goats unless you count feral Spanish ones wink Lots of deer.
We all know that light wt bullets, no matter the caliber, start fast but slow down fast too. The 22-250 will up the starting speed because you can burn more powder and so extend range where the bullets slows down too much to be reliable.

All this is a fancy way to say for me , and you quite probably are some different as is most everyone else, a 22-250 VS .223 will give me @ 75-100 yards more range that I am very comfortable shooting deer.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by LBP

LBP: Ive done a lot with both cartridges, and done well with both. Any limits placed on them are self-imposed. Because of trajectory, retained energy blah blah blah...I feel my "comfort zone" with the .223 is 200 yds....with the .22-250, it is 300 yards. Certainly you can hit them with both at longer ranges,but I want to be sure to serve up a clean, quick and humane kill...
In between of course we have the .223AI wink

It ups my " comfort zone" to 300 yds and has, as someone here most aptly put it, "better manners" than the .22-250...

Last edited by ingwe; 01/21/12.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lester,
Great question and one that has been on my mind.

BCR and Ingwie thanks for the replies that come from using them a lot. Some here have commented on the .22-250 being used out past 300, however I thought it could be asking more than it may be able to consistentelly give.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (44mc, 1100mag, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,256
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.